P51-D, Iwo Jima 1945 (Airfix 1/48 this time)

Another one off the bench...... running out of display space at this rate :analintruder:.

This is the Airfix offering of the P-51D. I did this along side the Eduard kit as a comparison. I used decals that were left over from the Eduard kit (waste not want not).

(Eduard model.    

Nice kit and easier to build than the Eduard offering.

Now the big question which is best......... both are. The level of detail in the Eduard kit is higher so is the degree of difficulty  building it.

My suggestion for what it's worth if you want to build a few P-51's is to buy an Eduard special like the Iwo Jima boxing and then buy several weekend editions when available. There is nothing wrong with the Airfix kit at all.

Any way on to the pic's.

Please feel free to comment etc

Thanks for looking 

Dick

Ps . Last pic is of both aircraft.

DPP_0000

DPP_0001

DPP_0002

DPP_0003

• Like 29

Two excellent models.

Those pilots definitely had the right stuff to spend 8 hours in the cockpit, a lot of weather to contend with and nothing but ocean below.  Apparently they were so dangerous a tour was limited to 15 VLR missions. 

Another great build Dick well up to your usual high standard! I also admire that you have gone against the orthodoxy on the Eduard kit - given the number of kits that you build it has certainly given me pause for thought.

Will

We seem to be living in a parallel universe! I have gone the same route as you, eduard and then airfix using eduard decals, and l agree with everything you say.  Great models, beautifully built and finished, good job!