Boeing 747-400 series any kits available?

Hello all, it's some years since I did any large airliners, but are there any 1/144 scale kits of the 400 series 747 and decals of BA's -CIVO scheme in 2018? 

In 2018, my son was one of the 192 children who went to Florida with the Dreamflights charity - their 747 was the British airways G-CIVO.  So I'd love to build him a model of the aircraft.

Kind regards, Adrian

• Like 1

Revell is the most appropriate kit unless you want to splash out on the Authentic Airliners one. 

This thread might be helpful, there are many others on the site:

Hi, Adrian.

There are a few options for British Airways decals for the 747-400:

https://www.f-dcal.fr/decals/index.php?id_product=985&controller=product&id_lang=1

https://www.shopdrawdecal.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=44-747-29

Both of them have options for multiple aircraft registrations.

Here's how the F-DCAL decals look:

IMG_4195

These are the DRAW decals:

IMG_5254

Edited by neilg
  • Like 5

Hi,

If it should be 1/144 scale,the Revell kit is the one to go for injection moulded kits.

Revell's 747-400 kit is currently out of production,you might still find it in local stores or via ebay and others.

The other solution,but quite expensive,is the resin kit from Authentic Airliners.

In 1/200,there is the superb Hasegawa kit.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Timo said:

Hi Adrian

V1 Decals produce decals for a variety of Dreamflight liveries used by BA over the years which may be useful for you.

https://www.v1decals.com/decal/v1d0510/british-airways/boeing-747-400

Cheers

Tim

Wow Tim, that is amazing - I never thought I'd see the Dreamflight logo's included on any decal set, thank you, that is very much appreciated👍👍👍 

On 30/07/2021 at 13:18, Alex1978 said:

In 1/200,there is the superb Hasegawa kit.

But you need the Qantas boxing for the RR engines and that now seems to be getting difficult to get hold of.... (unless the engines are also in another boxing I don't know of?)

Agreed though, it's an excellent kit.

On 30/07/2021 at 07:28, neilg said:

These are the DRAW decals:

Are Draw decals shipping to the UK again - I used to get their email newsletter and they announced in it they'd stopped after Brexit due to the VAT nonsense - and I've just realised I haven't had an emai from them for months.

Keith

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Are Draw decals shipping to the UK again - I used to get their email newsletter and they announced in it they'd stopped after Brexit due to the VAT nonsense - and I've just realised I haven't had an emai from them for months.

Keith

As far as I know they are not. I'd be interested to know if Greg has also stopped shipping to the EU since they introduced the same VAT regime w.e.f. 1 July. If he is still refusing to ship to the UK but is continuing to ship to the EU I think us Brits are entitled to ask why. Personally I don't find living without Drawdecals much of a hardship but if you really, really want something it is possible to buy them through Russell Brown at Airline Hobby Supplies. He has set up some complicated work-around using eBay but I doubt if it would make economic sense for a couple of decals.

Coming back to the original question, the Revell Boeing 744 is pretty inaccurate. As I mentioned in the thread linked by @Alan P the biggest problem is the incorrect wing incidence which causes the engines to hang far too low and just makes the model look weird. If you want an accurate 744 it's probably less work to convert a 747-8 than it is to correct the Revell 744.

Dave G

• Like 3

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

But you need the Qantas boxing for the RR engines and that now seems to be getting difficult to get hold of.... (unless the engines are also in another boxing I don't know of?)

Agreed though, it's an excellent kit.

Keith

I haven't bought Draw Decals for a while, but I just read on the website:

In order to comply with the new VAT, we will only ship orders with a value of £135 or greater to the UK, and ONLY ship via UPS. 

2 hours ago, neilg said:

In order to comply with the new VAT, we will only ship orders with a value of £135 or greater to the UK, and ONLY ship via UPS. 

Yeh, that's what he posted back at the start of the year - shame as I like his stuff.

Keith

3 hours ago, neilg said:

That's not new. Greg posted that late last year but for some reason he doesn't seem to have said anything similar about the EU which, as I said, introduced the same system at the start of July. You can still buy Drawdecals via Airline Hobby Supplies if you want them. 

I had huge problems getting decals from F-DCAL last year for my 747 build. In the end, I had to get my credit card company involved to get a refund, as despite multiple promises the decals were never sent…

The Revell kit has its issues but you can get a decent model out of it. A new version would be welcome though!

On 31/07/2021 at 05:40, Orso said:

Didn't Dragon make a -400?

Indeed, it looks to be like an enlarged Hasegawa 1/200 kit.

It is obviously not as good as the legendary Authentic Airliners kit (which I am not a big fan anyway) but it is IMHO an enormous improvement over the Revell kit (of which I have seen lots of great builds, but I still think it is a turd of a kit).

Beautiful and accurate RB211-524G/H can be obtained through Sergey Druz.