Mr Color Leveling Thinner and Revel Aqua

MBM

Hi all,

Just a quick question about thinning Revell aqua paints and their compatibility with Mr Leveling Thinner. Revel 371 is the perfect colour for airliner wings, and I really want to be able to put it on in thin layers but have never had much luck/the control when thinning them with acrylic thinners. 

I have tried thinning it down with Mr Color Leveling Thinner, about 25% paint to 75% thinner and got very mixed results. A couple of times it has gone on like a dream, thin smooth coats with the control I want but recently whenever I've tried thinning it down and then spraying it comes out in little spoldges and not in a mist and I have no idea what is going on. I've been thinking that the paint might be drying in the air before it hits the model but that's never happened with the Mr Thinner before.

Are Revell Aqua Paints (and Vallejo acrylics come to think of it) and Leveling Thinner simply not compatible with each other or am I doing something wrong? I'm just really confused as to why it worked fine one day and then not from then on so any help would be greatly appreciated, I have a VC10 and 2x 767's in desperate need of paint!!

Many thanks,

M

They're not, they turn to snot. In theory if you keep adding thinner, at some point you'll get something that is usable, but at that point why bother? If you're using a lacquer thinner, why not just switch to lacquer paints?

• Like 1