Macchi MC.205 Veltro - Italeri - 1/48

You are right about the aerials, you should consider to redo them because the model looks really great.

I built it a while ago and sprayed the smokerings but I must say that the decals are also very good.

This old Hasegawa kit is a pleasure to build.

• Thanks 1

It turns out fantastic, even these smokering decals. Perfect weathering, nothing overdone.  I agree too , the aerials should be thinner , but that’s no big deal …. 

Cheers

Andy

• Thanks 1

Hi Nenad,

a splendid Veltro. You certainly have talent for flying thingies :D As others have said, thinner aerials are the only thing I would consider redoing on this otherwise great build.

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1

I like this. I wouldn’t have known that you had used decals for the smoke rings had you not mentioned it. The camouflage looks very good.

Yes, the aerials are too thick; what did you use? I find fine fishing line useful; many colours and can be stretched tight. It’s also very strong. 

I admire the Italian aircraft of WWII yet I’ve never built one. You inspire me to correct that omission. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 8:21 PM, VolkerR. said:

You are right about the aerials, you should consider to redo them because the model looks really great.

I built it a while ago and sprayed the smokerings but I must say that the decals are also very good.

This old Hasegawa kit is a pleasure to build.

Thank you! Yes, I was surprised by the decals quality. They were quite thin and easy to work with. Being Hasegawa kit originally, I was expecting those thick Japanese decals, but these are not. Maybe reprint, I don't know.

On 7/30/2021 at 7:21 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

I like this. I wouldn’t have known that you had used decals for the smoke rings had you not mentioned it. The camouflage looks very good.

Yes, the aerials are too thick; what did you use? I find fine fishing line useful; many colours and can be stretched tight. It’s also very strong.

I admire the Italian aircraft of WWII yet I’ve never built one. You inspire me to correct that omission. 

Thank you! I used Aber thin steel round rods. The are quite thin, bot not thin enough. I tried to use copper wire first, but it was impossible to make it stretched tight. Fishing line is great idea, thanks! Are there different diameters? Which one should I use?

I love Italian fighter aircraft as well, they are beautiful.

15 hours ago, 73north said:

Great Model - did you use the Kit Decals - ?

I also recommend Synthetic Fishing Line for the Aerial Wiring - its what I use exclusively .

Thank you. Yes, kit decals. This was the largest decal sheet I have ever seen :)

15 hours ago, Giampiero Piva said:

Very nice result on this Macchi. Bravo !

P.S. Yes, change the aerial (I use Uschi van den Rosten).

Giampiero

Thank you! Never used any Uschi van den Rosten. Actually didn't know about that brand at all. Looks interesting. Is this the product: UvdR-3? Which version, fine or super fine? Do you order from their website directly?

@Andy Dyck, @Vinnie. @noelh, @Shorty84, @GiampieroSilvestri, @Wulfman, @Gary Brantley, @Oberleutnant thank you for your kind words.

Cheers,

Nenad

55 minutes ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Thank you! I used Aber thin steel round rods. The are quite thin, bot not thin enough. I tried to use copper wire first, but it was impossible to make it stretched tight. Fishing line is great idea, thanks! Are there different diameters? Which one should I use?

I love Italian fighter aircraft as well, they are beautiful.

Steel rods? That's the first time I've heard of that. I could use them in many different ways. I will get some, thank you.

y4mR_tz8PPSHhyboATocRTGv6PJSskzAdUBXXSIj

These are the lines I use. 0.2 mm for rigging wires on biplanes and 0.1 mm for aerials. I believe you can get thinner but I have trouble even seeing the thin one here! Transparent line looks like metal to me and it can be easily coloured with a Sharpie type permanent marker pen. My 0.1mm is a dark brown which I like for aerials.

Once you have glued it in place with superglue and the glue has set fully, place a hot object close to the line and it will shrink and tighten up. You could use a soldering Iron or a hot nail, heated by a cigarette lighter.

The insulators on aerial wires can be made by placing a drop of thick PVA glue on the wire with a toothpick

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2021 at 12:23 PM, Murewa said:

Awesome, built myself recently and also had the idea I would do the rings myself ... but also ended up using the decals as they're so good.

On 7/31/2021 at 5:29 PM, Mig88 said:

Very nicely finished indeed regardless of the aerials! :thumbsup:

Miguel

On 7/31/2021 at 5:30 PM, darthspud said:

3rd ac build you day , Bravo sir, bravo.

Thank you!

Nenad, if your airplanes look this good and you consider yourself an armor modeler, I can only imagine just how beautiful those are.  Great results on this 202.  :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1

Just a small dab of superglue (CA) is required to attach the thread I posted. It grabs almost immediately and will hang on like a frightened limpet to a rock. Very stretchy as well

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone

Finally replaced the aerials. I used 0.14mm fishing line. It is super easy to work with it, especially because it is possible to shrink and tighten up the thread by it using hot object. @Bertie Psmith thanks for the advice!

10 9

Uschi van den Rosten I ordered still didn't arrive 😕

Thanks to everyone for the advices.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1