Airfix Bf109E-4 1/72 * Completed *

After a brief summer break from modelling I'm back with my third Bf109. The first was an E-7 for the Heller Classic GB and the second a F-4 Trop for the Africa GB. This E-4 will be interesting to compare to the Heller E-7 although I've just realised it's missing a tail wheel (nabbed for something else). And I'd better get cracking (looks like wind and rain this weekend, so should get some progress made!)

51344309760_fc7acf2d5b_c.jpg

Edited by TommyF
Text add
  • Like 6

Thank you all. Making steady progress. The detail on this Airfix kit is very good but I wonder if anyone else has noticed that the joins between the sprue and the part are rather thick? I'm used to simple snip with cutters and then perhaps a minor trim but because of the thickness I'm having to be very careful not to take a chunk out or worse break a part (already happened!). The technique required for this kit is to use cutters or a knife a relative long distance from the edge of the part and major trim as required.

51354223387_09bf41eb51_c.jpg

51354225547_c502ac35b4_c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Getting the parts off the sprues really put me off this kit. It seemed badly designed compared to other Airfix releases.

Be aware that small parts like the antenna break very easily so be extra careful.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:48 PM, Pete F said:

Getting the parts off the sprues really put me off this kit. It seemed badly designed compared to other Airfix releases.

Be aware that small parts like the antenna break very easily so be extra careful.

Glad I'm not the only one..!

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My aerial didn’t make it

I'm surprised there are not any resin parts to replace these aerials - I couldn't find anything and used plastic instead. I did find some etch aerials that you fold over but the postage from Germany (as I recall) was too much to make them worthwhile.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tommy,

you are doing good, despite your frustration at damaging some of the parts.

Find solace in the knowledge that you are not the only one.

I am busy building my second 109 E-4 (same boxing as yours). I have learnt a trick or two, but I still have breakage on some of the small parts.

But it remains a beautiful kit and once finished it really looks the part.

I have a third Airfix kit (109 E-4/E-7) that I am really looking forward to build, and I may buy a fourth one, as the Airfix Emil is pretty much the only 109 kit I can find in South Africa. 

Enjoy the end of your build!

JR

• Like 1

• TommyF changed the title to Airfix Bf109E-4 1/72 * Completed *

Thank you all, we'll call that one done :) Gallery updated. Thank you to the hosts, I really enjoyed this one. Since returning to the hobby in my 50's I now have three Spitfires and three Bf109s!

51397902423_c09b59835f_c.jpg

Edited by TommyF
  • Like 4

Hi Tommy,

this 109 looks really good. Von Werra's bird is really iconic, so it is worth building! You got it right!

Well done.

JR