Norton Manx 500cc Italeri 1/9

I bought this on a whim as I like the subject, I had a few moments of worry when I read on the box that the moulds were made in 1964; no problem, the castings were beautiful with almost no flash. It has been a joy to build. Complete except for the two fork top bolts which are currently awol due to carpet monster issues - confident they will turn up eventually (still on a small piece of sprue).

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

That is beautiful!! On my 1948 500cc Manx Norton (with magnesium hubs and engine cases and a plunger frame) the tank is semi-polished bare aluminium with all the lettering and pinstriping hand-painted on it. I have no idea how I ever could replicate that if I ever had to restore it. Nevertheless, it still races quite regularly.

Maurice

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2021 at 12:49 AM, Little Timmy said:

Wow, that's pretty !!

A suggestion,  give the spokes a very light wash of black. That will give them some " depth" .

Thanks for the suggestion, I've put a little wash on and it has indeed made a difference. Annoying really, the wheels were one of the few parts of the model which hadn't received at least a little wash.

That looks great and the outside photographs make it look like the real thing !

There should be many more 1/9 scale kits of classic bikes on the market, I'm sure there's a market for them.

Used to see them racing on the Isle of Man in the 60's, and we'd get high on the smell of Castrol-R. Happy days !

• Thanks 1

:wub:

Wow, 1964 you say, they must have done something right!

Ian, the surface texture of the fuel tank, is that how the kit plastic comes or is that an effect you have produced?

It looks very interesting, is it supposed to be a fibreglass texture or something?

cheers,

Pappy

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pappy said:

:wub:

Wow, 1964 you say, they must have done something right!

Ian, the surface texture of the fuel tank, is that how the kit plastic comes or is that an effect you have produced?

It looks very interesting, is it supposed to be a fibreglass texture or something?

cheers,

Pappy

Hi Pappy, there isn't actually any texture on the tank, it feels beautifully smooth. The paint is a Tamiya metallic, I assume that the appearance is down to the flakes being picked up by the camera.