Dealing with decals, from oldies to those gosh darn poor quality ones!

flyinghorse

I've been building models for ten years now, and if there's one thing I really enjoy, it's applying decals and adding life to a plastic model. As a kid, it was my favorite part in the building process as it represented the last challenge to finish a nice project up. Sometimes however, things didn't always turn out so well. Companies like Tamiya, Revell, and Airfix do a good job with making decals, and Ive never had any issues with applying decals with models from these companies, but then when I started building models from lesser known companies, I started discovering poor quality decals that shatter and crack upon applying! Sometimes this happens with aftermarket ones too sadly enough. The most challenging decals to apply have always been those from older plastic models. I learned that I could "revive" a decal set's colors by leaving them in a plastic bag and exposing them in direct sunlight to bleach out the yellow. My first success with this has been with a vintage 1967 Monogram P-51B Mustang I got from eBay in 1/72. Not one of those decals shattered and I had a very satisfying experience building a vintage 60's era kit. My worst experience was using Microscale decals for a 1/72 MiG-15. ARRGH!! It was a nightmare! I tried using the North Korean markings and everyone of those suckers shattered after I tried using them! I'd like to hear other's experiences, and perhaps learn how to deal with the worst case scenarios that could happen when using decals, especially for older vintage kits. 

Buy some Microscale Liquid Decal Film and give the sheet a couple of coats first. It will hopefully help save the decals. I have done several this way, as have many others.

Then use one of the propriety clear acrylic varnishes to seal the decal in place.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Buy some Microscale Liquid Decal Film and give the sheet a couple of coats first. It will hopefully help save the decals. I have done several this way, as have many others.

Then use one of the propriety clear acrylic varnishes to seal the decal in place.

Thanks! I'll give it a go. :D

In between the Microscale Decal film, a really good move for any decals of doubtful quality & a clear coat, you might think to try this method for bedding them.

It works well for all manner of ailments with decals as a read will show.

Steve.

Also, on decals that you have coated with the Microscale Decal Film, you need to cut out each decal very close to the printed decal itself. Otherwise, it may not come off the backing paper that well.

Chris

• Like 1