1:72 MisterCraft PZL P.11c in Polish Markings as flown by Kapitan Mieczysław Adolf Medwecki, 1st September 1939

Hi all, this is the eventual set of pics I managed to take of the completed PZL P.11c, the second in my trilogy of PZL aircraft (WIP thread here).

The 1st RFI, that of the PZL 23A, can be found here if you've not already seen it :)

All in all I'm quite pleased with the outcome of this one - being a MisterCraft offering there were a number of issues to resolve, even before I embarked on my habitual course of self-inflicted stress! One particular highlight for me, though, was my first ever use of 3D-printed parts, to my own design, which were incorporated into the cockpit detail. Not that big or complex, but it's a start!

Given that I opted to model the aircraft attributed to a particular person and event in history, I thought I would try to find out a little more about the subject. I've decided to add my findings, written in my own words, but on a following post to this one. I believe some people enjoy RFIs with a back story, others less so. So, I figured that adding it as a subsequent post gives people the option to read it, or not, as they see fit!

Anyway, first up here are the pics - I hope you enjoy them:

41f2w1Z.jpg

qhpDM4K.jpg

PeVXomh.jpg

C2IyS8V.jpg

lXUvgeS.jpg

qKCzahF.jpg

foDBmyN.jpg

raWyeIF.jpg

EcA0brh.jpg

qYGrNiB.jpg

pXuRgkp.jpg

WL3aUfa.jpg

d1BeHtv.jpg

f1RjCm8.jpg

aldBvzb.jpg

dfLaosr.jpg

HMaOxRg.jpg

1OrddWZ.jpg

GaQdHUn.jpg

OHWTU17.jpg

Thanks as ever for the support along this particular stage of the WIP. Any and all comments most welcome :thumbsup2:

• Like 14

At around 7am on Saturday, September 1 1939, Kapitan Mieczysław Adolf Medwecki took off in his PZL P.11c fighter from Balice airfield, leading a flight of aircraft of the 121st Squadron to patrol in the area of Chrzanów and Wadowice. As they gained height in an attempt to intercept the incoming German Junkers Ju87 'Stuka' dive-bombers from 2 Squadron I./StG, Medwecki's aircraft was attacked by a Stuka bearing the code letters T6+GK, piloted by Lt. Frank Neubert and with rear gunner Franz Klinger. At approximately 7:30am Medwecki's P.11c fell to earth in the area of Chrosna, between Morawica and Brzoskwinia. Contrary to some accounts, including notably Neubert's own, the aircraft did not explode in mid-air, but rather crash-landed in a field with Medwecki, who had sustained bullet wounds, still at the controls. However the aircraft caught fire during the crash-landing. Medwecki, aged just 35 years, had died as a result of a badly damaged liver and a fractured skull base possibly sustained during the impact with the ground. Thus did he distinguish himself as the first Polish airman to die in the conflict which was ultimately to precipitate World War 2.

The exact spot that bore silent witness to the fall of Kpt. Medwecki was subsequently identified thanks to the inhabitants of the village of Chrosna. A simple, symbolic birch cross was placed to mark the location, eventually replaced with a more permanent structure in 2018. Medwecki's remains were initially buried in the parish cemetery in Morawica. After the war, the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow founded the tomb in which he is now buried. To this day, scouts and soldiers from the 8th Air Base in Balice tend the grave. Today, outside the John Paul II Airport terminal at Kraków-Balice there is a commemorative plaque that bears his name.

Medwecki's wingman on that day, Władisław Gnys, had managed to avoid meeting a similar fate by performing some sharp turns to evade the German's machine guns. A short while later, Gnys encountered a pair of Dornier Do17s over Zurada. In his report on the encounter he claimed to have shot one down, which in turn collided with the second, destroying both aircraft; however, there were no other witnesses to the event. Indeed, some historians have since argued that the two aircraft collided with each other whilst attempting to dodge Polish anti-aircraft fire. Nevertheless, these were the first two German aircraft to be lost in the conflict.

As Poland fell, Gnys managed to escape to France (where he served for a short time in the Armee de l'Air), however the fall of France meant he had to escape once more, this time to Britain where he joined 302 Squadron, RAF.

Ironically, both Neubert and Gnys survived the war, became friends, and even met in person for the first time in 1989. Gnys died in 2000, aged 90, Neubert in 2003 at the age of 85.

• Like 5

Beautifully done.  I watched the build with interest, and you really gave this crude kit a makeover.  Can't believe the results shown are in 1/72!  Yes, the tires would likely have been mud-spattered from taxiing out of a dispersed location near Balice.

• Thanks 1