312 Squadron Hurricane question

gingerbob

Hi chaps,

I'm looking at this unit right now, and in October 1941, at the same time that they're beginning to re-equip with the Spitfire II, they appear to be turning in some Hurri IIBs they've been flying, but getting some new (to them) Hurris, too.

Does anybody happen to know about this circumstance?  If it were Spits I could probably figure it out, but I don't have the intricate details to puzzle out Hurricane activity of this sort.  (And yes, I'm looking at the ORBs.)

Thanks,

bob

Edit: It is also possible that I've seen some typographical errors and leapt to conclusions- if this seems to have been the case I'll update the post.

Edited by gingerbob

They were not reequiping with Spitfire Mk IIs. In October 1941 they received a number of Spitfire Mk IIs which were used for a short period for training purposes only. At the end of December they reequiped with Spitfire Mk Mk Vbs.

Using RAF squadrons by Jefford, 312 squadron switched from Hurricane I to IIB in May 1941, retaining them until December 1941.  It had Spitfire IIA October to December 1941 and IIB November 1941 to January 1942, and Spitfire VB from December 1941.

An obvious explanation for the gain and loss of Hurricane IIB October to December 1941 are the usual inspection requirements after X flying hours that need to be done outside the squadron, while keeping the squadron operational on Hurricanes before the switch to Spitfires.  An idea of how long the Hurricanes had been with the squadron before being replaced and until when the squadron was considered operation on Hurricanes would help.

Thanks for the replies.  I now think that I jumped the gun a little- in addition to the possible typos that appeared to be "new" aircraft, they did get a small number of replacements (or possible "finally back in service"), but nothing like the number that were being delivered elsewhere.

What I meant, I guess, was "while converting to Spitfires"- I know that the IIs were fairly temporary, though I haven't made it through the relevant months yet.

bob