Special Hobby Brewster 339-23 1/48

LuisB

The B339-23 can only be converted into a B339C/D or E by removing a section of the forward fuselage and other detail changes, depending on the variant being modeled.  The 339-23 had the longer fuselage of the F2A-3 which must be shortened to match the length of the Dutch and British Brewsters which were based on the F2A-2.  

1 minute ago, mhaselden said:

The B339-23 can only be converted into a B339C/D or E by removing a section of the forward fuselage and other detail changes, depending on the variant being modeled.  The 339-23 had the longer fuselage of the F2A-3 which must be shortened to match the length of the Dutch and British Brewsters which were based on the F2A-2.  

Looking to model a British Buffalo I from 243 Squadron... what changes in lenght are necessary?

Regards

Shorten the fuselage forward of the wing.  The amount should be 12 inches IIRC (I'm away from my references) based on aircraft with spinner fitted.  Oddly, one change you DON'T  need to make involves the landing lights.  Only the British 339E had one under each wing.  But all of the Classic Airframes/Special Hobbies 1/48 kits have two, and (until SH releases a 339E) none should have more than one.  Otherwise, the necessary changes are mostly limited to the sliding canopy (bulged port side and clear vision panel) and interior items like gunsight and relocated compass.  I'd have to double check on proper prop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmaas said:

Shorten the fuselage forward of the wing.  The amount should be 12 inches IIRC (I'm away from my references) based on aircraft with spinner fitted.  Oddly, one change you DON'T  need to make involves the landing lights.  Only the British 339E had one under each wing.  But all of the Classic Airframes/Special Hobbies 1/48 kits have two, and (until SH releases a 339E) none should have more than one.  Otherwise, the necessary changes are mostly limited to the sliding canopy (bulged port side and clear vision panel) and interior items like gunsight and relocated compass.  I'd have to double check on proper prop.

Thank you for the answer... do you know about where you have to do the cut? In reality, at this stage any British or Dutch Buffalo will make it for me. It looks like a good kit, but appears to be the least desired variant.

Regards

Okay, here we go.  On the 339-23 kit, there is a section of the fuselage right behind the cowl that goes all the way around.  Then, on the lower side, there's a cutout for the wing assembly.  If you measure that lower section it extends 1/4 inch from the rear edge of the sowl.  In 1/48 scale, that's 12 inches.  

Carefully cut the cowl off, and assemble at least the two halves formerl;y attached to the fuselage.  Then cut that 1/4 inch segment off both fuselage sides.  The result will allow match (pretty close) the Tamiya kit.  You may have to spread the forward fuselage to match the cowling width.  

In the spirit of honesty, the exact difference between the F2A-2/339B/C/D/E and F2A-3/339-23 length is stilll problematical.  I've got copies of original Brewster dociuments and they conflict.  But this will get close.  For more precision. see the info in this nugget from the way-back machine: 2010 thread

Also make use of the pilot's manual here: MANUAL

And yes, the British Buffalo had the ventral window, and it carried 'A' amd 'B' camouflage patterns.

• Thanks 2

See if this helps- I strongly recommend getting this monograph, as the scale drawings are in 1/48 and also clearly show the external differences in all the  Brewster variants.

Mike

https://www.modellingnews.gr/el/νέα-μοντελισμού/brewster-f2a-buffalo-f2a-1-f2a-2-f2a-3-topdrawings-no51-kagero-2018

4 hours ago, LuisB said:

Looking to model a British Buffalo I from 243 Squadron..

Nothing to add to what Jim and Mark have said, for the fuselage conversion.

For a Buffalo Mk I/339E, you will need to scribe in  the door flap for the flare tube

Starboard side at rear of fuselage

The Office (Cockpit) does differ from a F2A-2 in a number of respects, which are not in

the SH kit

1) Pilots seat "Square" top

2) Pilots seat mount frame differs, from the F2A-2, in that they curve above the rear deck

edfa0b8a-ecc2-4ff3-8d0a-157651be8c55.jpg

3) You will need check the SH Instrument panel ( Jim has provided the link to pilots notes which has photo's)

4) Starboard side of cockpit has oxygen bottle cage, with British type oxygen regulator

5) Buffalo Mk I also has piping for heat to guns/cockpit

I'm currently doing a re-visit to a Buffalo Mk I/339E Build here if you would like to visit

Brewster Buffalo 339E Build

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2