V Force crew boarding ladders

cherisy

Hi 

Does anyone know what colour V Force crew ladders were ? I've seen a photo of a crew boarding a valiant  with a red ladder and one of a Victor with a blue one. I'd there a definitive answer? Or was it down to individual  stations.  The Aifix victor instructions would have me paint it green which doesn't seem right for the early 60s.

The cynic in me suggests that would have helped aircrew to climb into the right machine.

Red = Valiant, Blue = Victor, Yellow = Vulcan. Simple enough, even for the V Force !

Ducking now as the flak comes in ... (I'll get my coat) 

More probably, those colours reflect each manufacturer's preferences. Or, what they had available. 

Edited by John B (Sc)
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

The cynic in me suggests that would have helped aircrew to climb into the right machine.

Red = Valiant, Blue = Victor, Yellow = Vulcan. Simple enough, even for the V Force !

Ducking now as the flak comes in ... (I'll get my coat) 

More probably, those colours reflect each manufacturer's preferences. Or, what they had available. 

Sort of makes sense as I've only seen colour photos of those colours but I'm in agreement  that it was whatever was available. 

From memory, in the late fifties and early sixties any equipment around a Valiant was blue.  Ladders, bomb trolleys, tow bars, vehicles, were all in a shade of blue which we called "ground equipment blue" being unaware of any official designation.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michou said:

From memory, in the late fifties and early sixties any equipment around a Valiant was blue.  Ladders, bomb trolleys, tow bars, vehicles, were all in a shade of blue which we called "ground equipment blue" being unaware of any official designation.

Mike

That nails it I think. The photos in colour I have seen lean towards a sort of mid blue. Many thanks 😊

4 hours ago, Michou said:

Mike

The ground equipment was painted BS 381C 169 Traffic Blue.

Selwyn

• Thanks 2