(Indian / British) M3 Lee

Ian

Cannot remember the last time I posted a WIP thread here on BM for an AFV build so here goes:

About two weeks ago as the M7 Priest build was coming to a close, I started the (very closely related) Academy M3 Lee, which I plan on finishing as a British / Indian vehicle in Burma; so far this is where I'm up to:

pGO5jye.jpg

hERdZau.jpg

ll0D840.jpg

The interior is partly built but all painted & weathered. To get to this point, I've used just two oil tones - Paynes Grey & Raw Umber - first mixed together and thinned to make a pin wash, then straight from the tube to create grime and false shadows in the corners and crevices. Also 'sponge chipped' where appropriate with the same basic acryllic mix I use for painting tracks.

Next I'll assemble the interior, hopefully that can be done before the weekend. Let me know what you think, best from New Zealand, AFN.

Ian.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 15

The Thompson SMG drum magazines stowed on top of the 37mm shell rack would be semi-gloss black.  The fixed 0.30 Brownings in the hull front were either reduced to 1 in the outboard location or removed altogether and the holes plugged.

Miniart got the radio all wrong.  The US SCR 528 radio installation was replaced with a British WS No19 located closer to the driver, as in this photo.  In the Lee the driver was also the radio operator, unlike the Grant where the radio was located in the turret for the commander.

spacer.png

• Like 3

• Ian changed the title to (Indian / British) M3 Lee

Ok some update pics:

Turret casting added with Tamiya putty thinned with lacquer thinner, and now finished turret basket; Far East Lee's (for the most part) had the upper .30 turret removed and replaced with Sherman split hatches which lowered to overall height of course.

JDHOuIz.jpg

O8NyFSG.jpg

nRWDZL6.jpg

Interior all done now.

VBkV7ec.jpg

EwhIYu8.jpg

ShRXhup.jpg

Bringing it all together was a fun session.

0sMjTzB.jpg

And now ready for a second round of primer - I also 'cast' the transmission cover in the same way as the turret).

MtRbKHy.jpg

Mhvb1wE.jpg

Thanks for the comments and responses. Hopefully get more done (and photographed during the week, real life permitting).

AFN

Ian.

• Like 7

Very neat. At the risk of stating the obvious...

https://www.mafva.org/british-vehicle-camouflage-1939-45 by @Mike Starmer

"FAR EAST.

Until 1943 vehicles appear to conform to UK standards.  Colour images exist of Morris Quads at Singapore in Khaki Green No.3 and Dark Tarmac.  Early 1943 S.C.C.13 “Jungle Green” introduced for use as single overall colour.  But 1944 S.C.C. 16 Very Dark Drab (a.k.a. SEASCC.207) may be coming into use.    By 1944 there was a range of colours for camouflage purposes issued by SEAC in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) but there is no evidence that any of these were intended as disruptive colours. Single overall basic colour remained from 1943 -45."

"S.C.C.13 a.k.a.  “Jungle Green”

Mix: 4 x Humbrol 159 + 3 x Humbrol 155 + 1 x Humbrol 33. 

Alternative; 4 x Revell 42 + 1 x Humbrol 159

Tamiya: 2 x XF51 + 1 x XF61 + 1 x XF3.   

In use: basic colour only in India & Burma 1943-45. 

Description: Very dark drab/ muddy dark green. 

S.C.C. 16 VERY DARK DRAB.

Mix; 4x Humbrol 159 + 2 x Humbrol 150 + 1 x Humbrol 33 + 1 x Humbrol 133.

In use:  Basic colour only In use in India and Burma 1944-45 replacing S.C.C.13.

Description:  A very dull muddy looking green, darker than S.C.C.13."

I'm presuming that SCC.13 is the more likely colour if it had been repainted. 

If nothing else, may make for a different looking model unless you have info/dates on a specific vehicle.

HTH

T

Yep SCC13 was always going to be the colour but my (Mk I eyeball) mix will be slightly different, and as I'm planning on going down the full modulation route it should look very different to my OD builds. Or I could stuff it up completely and it end up consigned to the 'Shelf of Forgetfulness' indefinitely 🤭

Ian.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

Update:

After a second priming session, I added shadows & highlights: I don't usually do this but given how dark the SCC13 was going to be, I thought it may help - it didn't really as it turned-out !

CicT8E4.jpg

j4JSlY3.jpg

Dark base tone:

E6ujWK3.jpg

qH9H6PR.jpg

Followed by the base colour, the light base and the highlight - the base colour is made from Tamiya colours: Khaki Drab x 5, Black Green x 2, Sea Blue x 1 and two 'drops' of Lemon Yellow. The dark base was this mix plus 30% black, the lighter tones were the base coat lightened by eye - no exact mix, just until they looked right.

hR6Y3kS.jpg

87EyOIQ.jpg

l80uVxz.jpg

HMiM6Ws.jpg

As above with flash - emphasises the modulation effect.

7xMrTyA.jpg

When this was all dry (this morning), I sealed it all in with a coat of Tamiya glossy clear with just two 'drops' of Khaki Drab added - in effect an acrylic filter to help tie the tones together. Next I'll add the decals and re-seal it again. Thanks for taking the time to look and / or comment. 

AFN

Ian.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

So I've moved-on a fair way since the last update. Chips, scratches, streaks, pin-washes & filter all applied and 'tweaked' where necessary.

O6tHQWK.jpg

LLieupO.jpg

W4Z4vi5.jpg

XXAuroF.jpg

Next I'll add a simple overall dark wash before matting down and then getting-on with the, (ughhhh), pastels. More next week, You probably have read that NZ is in national Lockdown, more time for modelling but it is restricting, no matter we'll get through it - hope everyone had a good weekend wherever you are.

Best from NZ..

Ian.

• Like 6