Roden B-36B

OK, I’ve started this beastie. It will need a lot of paint.

biggest problems so far are:

1. the main gear struts. They comprise two parts and must be installed before putting the wing together.

2. the elevators mounting tabs are about twice as thick as the slot is wide. Need to do some serious grinding, since the tab is centered on the slot. It might be possible to widen the slot, but I have to keep the elevator centered.

I do like the way that Roden has done the wing join at the fuselage. At the inboard end of the wing, they have actually molded half of the fuselage. It’s hard to see under the tape, but the fit is pretty nice.

p?i=a587d5d2bcb6b864dcf64726ac1b23f9

Edited by Bejay53
  • Like 13

It turns that the fuselage has a lot of thick flash. When I checked further, it turns out the slots for mounting the elivators, had heavy flash that I had to trim away. Most of the openings in this beast have some flash, but it is quite thick as you can see in the last opening on the left side.

The one area that I think will be the most labor intensive are the wing intakes. The sides have a “draft” that angles to the center. This will need to be filled. Also, if you align the curved portion to the nacelle, the top of the intake might be short of the top of the wing. This creates a small lip that will need to be filled.

sanding anything on this kit will remove a lot of detail, since the engraved panels are so fine.

Edited by Bejay53
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A not so small update.

masking a teeny, tiny canopy x 2. I don’t know how I’ll do the nose canopy. Maybe bare metal foil? 
after the main canopy it was time for a drink.

spacer.png

once I paint the interior black, there’s  won’t be much to see inside. So it would be a waste to try to scratch build an interior, besides where the cockpit would be, the instructions call for 20 grams of weight.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...