Sncaso so 9050 "trident ii"

Hewy

Micromir, snacso trident ii in 1/72 

A link to some historical info

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNCASO_Trident

Newly released this  kit caught my eye , admittedly it's  a short run affair ,its in 1/72,  by micromir , and what a looker ,very futuristic for its day ( mid 50s) ,and it looks so fast, the challenges ahead are ,getting a decent  aluminium looking finish, and i want the canopy closed and wheels up, so i can do a inflight pose, I'll  need a suitable pilot that I'll rummage through the spares for , but the gear doors don't even nearly fit , nor does the canopy ,both being designed to be open ,the kit has a little photo etch set, and a  mask set for the canopy

A few pics, i aim to start tomorrow 

z8mae7y.jpg

eavOuW2.jpg

• Like 11

Hi chris ,  yes thin fusalage and stubby wings are a bit starfighter ish, and the engine nacells on the wing tips are similar to the tanks,  i bet it was just as dangerous too

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Now that's a bit different Glynn.

What a great looking machine, you can imagine the likes of Dan Dare (or his French counterpart) piloting it.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together mate.

I reckon the test pilots back in the day must have been very brave indeed, there doesn't  look enough wing area to keep it inflight,and looks like it relied on pure thrust alone

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome with an very interesting aircraft. 

Cheers den, i really like these early experimental jets

• Like 2

One of the most daring projects of the post-war French aeronautical industry, and it even looked good!

Enjoy your build.

JR

1 hour ago, jean said:

One of the most daring projects of the post-war French aeronautical industry, and it even looked good!

Enjoy your build.

JR

Thanks jean, i see the trident could fly very high indeed for its day and broke many records too

• Like 1

I've  made a decent start today

I dug a pilot out of an old matchbox gnat, unfortunatly his legs wouldn't  fit,so he's  gone one better than douglas bader

5TxiGgb.jpg

Got the nacelles built up

9SFPyuX.jpg

Decided to fix the wings and nacells to the fusalage halves while they were taped together, and fill some nasty sink marks with sprue goo

CXyUMWU.jpg

wRwxrcp.jpg

Also fettled the canopy for a better fit

TOlBy13.jpg

Cheers all 

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Brilliant choice, looks just like the rocket planes we used to draw in the back of our exercise books at school  !

Good luck with this one 

cheers Pat 

It does indeed pat, along with pointy sports cars, ta pal 👍

• Like 1

The main assembly is just about done .

The undercarriage doors are designed to be open but thats not really an excuse for an appallingly bad fit in the closed position, still it can be done 

6TGlxip.jpg

I temporarily glued them in from behind , and scribed the line from the front .

Also did the front gear door in one piece of styrene

iaNVwWg.jpg

Fitted the nose cone , this fitted well and needed next to no fairing in at all ,and finished the rear end off, sanded the sink marks from the wing joins ,  and rescribed after sanding the seams , the fuselage glued together very well ,no steps, 

8mKyq6x.jpg

I've given it a coat of black mr surfacer 1500 to check for any missed touching up before it has a coat of gloss black in readiness for its shiny coat

MsjfI8i.jpg

And underneath

Dty9iYH.jpg

Pilot to be painted and canopy on next , and oh yes the the big old missile too, Cheers all

P

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very neat work Glynn.

You have done a great job this one mate, she's going to look fantastic with the metallic paint on her.

Cheers craig 👍, there's bound to be more prep to do yet , I'm  going for the main parts in ak chrome with some contrasting panels,  shiny and very minimal weathering, hopfully i can mount it on a base nicley too

• Like 1

Never heard of this aircraft before, I love it, so cool looking! And it's a great job you're doing with it too. Love it in the black primer, everything looks cool in black.

And don't you hate undercarriage doors and air brakes and everything else that doesn't fit when closed? 🤦🏻

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Never heard of this aircraft before, I love it, so cool looking! And it's a great job you're doing with it too. Love it in the black primer, everything looks cool in black.

And don't you hate undercarriage doors and air brakes and everything else that doesn't fit when closed? 🤦🏻

Cheers jason👍, to be fair to micromir the wheels are designed to be out , but it is a pain all the extra sanding, i won't  be rescribing  the gear doors in  though, 

• Like 1

Finally caught up with this one.  Great work Hewy and good luck with it.

This is an ideal subject for a Whif, it would be great to see one of these in Armée de l'Air unit markings in the What-If IV GB.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Finally caught up with this one.  Great work Hewy and good luck with it.

This is an ideal subject for a Whif, it would be great to see one of these in Armée de l'Air unit markings in the What-If IV GB.

Cheers wez, i agree, it would look good in the french desert scheme 

1 minute ago, Hewy said:

Cheers wez, i agree, it would look good in the french desert scheme 

I was just thinking about using some NMF Mirage III, Mystère, Super Mystère, Thunderstreak or F-100 markings, throwing the desert scheme in there puts a whole new perspective on it :hmmm:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wez said:

I was just thinking about using some NMF Mirage III, Mystère, Super Mystère, Thunderstreak or F-100 markings, throwing the desert scheme in there puts a whole new perspective on it :hmmm:

Oh yes that would look nice!, colours and checks,i dont think you could go wrong there,are whifys allowed in this gb? I've  got the 1/72 A&A models  vj101c-x1 (a mouthfull i know ) but I'm  going to build that in a whif scheme similar to a luftwaffe starfighters splinter scheme.

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

are whifys allowed in this gb?

Afraid not, there's enough choice in this GB without including Whifs.

You have given me an idea for the What If IV GB if it gets through the poll.

• Like 1