Special Hobby 1/48th Tempest II

My latest project is this fairly recent release from Special Hobby in co operation with Eduard. As far as I'm concerned its a little gem throughout.  The exquisite surface detail is what 'll probably catch your eye on opening the box along with the finesse of the parts.

This particular boxing also comes with some resin parts for the engine, cowlings and wheels. These fitted without any problem and builds into something a little different form closing everything up. The usual photoetch seatbelts are provided for the seat and as you would expect the rest of the cockpit is nicely detailed too. Unfortunately tho' after painting most of it black you can't see a great deal through the small opening.

The wheel wells are just as nice too.

Parts fit together well and the only real niggle was around the forward wing to fuselage joint.

5 choices of markings are provided and I opted to do something a little different from an RAF one so chose the Pakistan one. The others are 3 RAF ones, two in grey/green, one in silver and a silver Indian Air Force one.

With regard to the markings on the one I chose I might have got my research completely wrong but I think its actually a 9 squadron aircraft which means it should have a red spinner and not black? I'm only going by a photo I found of this particular aircraft and the caption states its 9 squadron. Further on in the article it gives the spinner colours for Pakistan Tempest squadrons and black isn't actually listed. Anyway, if I am wrong its a quick respray of the prop and change the squadron number on my label.

If anyone has a definitive answer I'd be very grateful.

Anyway, that's it and thanks for looking.

51337185686_abe20348a7_b.jpgT II 2 

51337185496_294ca33902_b.jpgT II 3 

51337402403_0afc21a6d8_b.jpgT II 4 

51337916994_258bcdaaeb_b.jpgT II1

51339805519_95aba860cf_b.jpg20210727_180029 

• Like 40

1 minute ago, keithjs said:

the rest of the cockpit is nicely detailed too. Unfortunately tho' after painting most of it black you can't see a great deal through the small opening.

That looks lovely, well done.

I generally paint my black cockpits in a dark grey which leaves some room for dark, or even black shadows - one of the few occasions when I use true black. Then a lighter grey for highlights and to the viewer's eye you still have the appearance of a black cockpit but you can actually see something.

• Like 2

That's just perfect in every way! Sir Sydney sure knew his way around a single-engined flghter! The Tempest II was made for desert colors. Thanks for sharing your museum quality build with the rest of us lesser types! :like:

Mike

Brilliantly done and a very fetching scheme. I like how the green of the engine compartment and undercarriage bays is complemented by the roundels. The surface detail of the kit is, as you say, superb. 
Andrew