AZ Models 1/72 Spitfire Mk14e

This link shows your kit being built the Spitfire xiv propellor, on the Fujimi version has a small circle near the bas that goes in to the base. Or get a quickboost Spitfire XiV propellor for Academy it has a Jig.

The blades are angled with the rear to the left the opposite to a merlin spitfire

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit14v109.html

Edited by ROB61

Many thanks Graham and Robb. I’d looked at the build thread before I even started this - then promptly forgot all about it. Shameful. I can continue with some confidence thanks to you both.

Bill

I started to paint up the canopy frame (no masks, but using a well sharpened cocktail stick to remove stray acrylic paint).

At this point I noticed that there was no rear view mirror included in the kit although there is one on the painting/decal guide. Although I have a fairly strict “if it’s not in the box I won’t build it” rule, I felt that the mirror was quite important. I cut two identical(ish) pieces from the ends of the spare wing tips provided, glued them together, shaped as best I could - flipping small - then painted and “silvered” it. The end result may not be strictly correct or to scale, but I think it looks OK.

51350226719_9ccccbfb20_b.jpg

• Like 2

Nearing the end now. Primed and ready to paint, but nothing to see really. However……….

1. Canopy doesn’t sit flush with some noticeable gaps but I think easily sorted.

2. Navigation/identification (and signalling?) lights. Nothing on the instructions or paint schemes for these, but (having learned my lesson from previous questions🥴) a trawl through these forums suggests that they should be there. I’ve marked up the instructions with where I think they should be. Am I close? I haven’t marked the dorsal white as I believe this was covered over? (but if not it’s to the rear, behind the whip aerial).

Lights

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1

………and then it all went pear-shaped. The assembled undercarriage just wouldn’t go where it should and getting the rake and pintle to pintle spacing was at the edge of my current skills - in fact just over it. The canopy was terrible. Major gaps all round. I filed and filled and fettled and it ended up a mess. The cockpit never recovered from my first efforts to build it. All in all, I’m so disappointed with myself. I don’t blame the kit for this. It does say for experienced modellers. I should have believed it.

So what next? Do it again, of course. I have my “Lessons Identified” list and will keep it to hand as I have another go once I’ve got a new kit. My learning curve went to vertical on this - let’s hope it was worth it. To quote Robert Browning, “A man’s reach should exceed his grasp else what’s a heaven for”.

A few shots - no decals or varnish. Thanks for the support.

51361716989_bbc77755a2_b.jpg 51360235472_bab0eb8805_b.jpg 51360233252_7fa877fe08_b.jpg 51361215203_5d0760b28a_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

You have done well on this limited run kit  and paint looks good.  Great job really.

I was building their TR.9  kit and had similar acanopy issues and tried correcting it but went too far and scrapped it in the end  lots of spares for when I build the Brigade models conversion for the italeri kit instead.

Keep up the good work 

Chris

• Like 1

What a shame to have come so far! The paintwork looks really good and as Chris said, it's not the easiest of kits.

Is there a vac-form canopy available? Might be worth a shot. Either way, chin up and on to the next one!!! As someone once said, experience is what we get when we don't get what we wanted.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks for these kind words. It will sit on a shelf - perhaps not of doom, more a bit of a calamity. Maybe one day when I’m a big boy modeller (I should coco) I’ll disassemble it and try again. For now, an Airfix Mk1 Hurricane has been waiting for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillF67 said:

Thanks for these kind words. It will sit on a shelf - perhaps not of doom, more a bit of a calamity. Maybe one day when I’m a big boy modeller (I should coco) I’ll disassemble it and try again. For now, an Airfix Mk1 Hurricane has been waiting for me.

The Airfix Hurricane Mk.I is a great little kit - you'll enjoy it!

I've had a few issues with the lower wing panel being slightly distorted, but it doesn't seem universal. Staged assembly starting at the centre section helps, and also strapping the upper wing to a solid surface and then using hit water to gently improve the shape.

Looking forward to seeing your build!

Cheers,

Mark