Small details for my NF XII conversion?

Jim Kiker

Hi all,

I am working on the Tamiya 1/48 scale Mosquito FB VI kit, converting it to the NF XII standard and a few details elude me.

1) There is a Bakelite base plate on top of the fuselage where the antenna mounts.  The kit piece is slightly oval in shape, but my available references have drawn it as a circle.  Is there evidence either way?

2) Next, the belly ID lights on the kit pieces are molded in place; were any of the three of them present on the NF XII, or should they be removed?

3)  Wheels/tires- are the spoked wheels in the kit correct, or should it be solid hubs on both sides of the landing gear?  I have the Ultracast block tread tires and I'd like to use them if the hub configuration is correct.

4)  I'll end this with a markings question.  The code letters for this a/c are for John Cunningham and Jimmy Rawnsleys' Mosquito are VY-R; I don't have a picture of their a/c where the codes can be seen.  The question is, how tall were those letters?  I THINK 30" would be correct but I'm not positive.

Thank you for having a look here, and for any additional light you can shed!

Cheers, Jim

The normally infallible Ducimus Camouflage and Markings does not give a size for the codes. Paul Lucas, in Combat Colours no.6, gives them as "approximately 30".

What serial do you have for VY-R ?

DZ302 was an NF.II converted to a XII (fitted with AI Mk.VIII in a slightly bulged nose) according to the Sharp/Bowyer Mosquito book but is given as a XVII in the Ducimus camouflage and Markings booklet which also shows it with a bull-nose radome like a XIX with a note the radome was unpainted.

Since the XVII was also a conversion of the NF.II (fitted with AI Mk.X) confusion is doubtless possible although theoretically the two had different radomes. Rawnsley's book refers to DZ302/G as equipped with the new low-looking AI and having a bulbous nose which could refer to either mark although he does refer to training on AI Mk.VIII just beforehand.

I'm confused as I haven't been able to track down a photo but I suspect the Ducimus booklet may be wrong - which would be the first time I've thought that the series is not infallible.

I suspect not, but that converting earlier airframes to later ones by upgrading the radar was a continuous process,  They appeared in parallel Marks, one with Mk.II wings and the other with Mk.VI wings (i.e. provision for underwing tanks and other stores).  I don't think that they'd be building new Mk.II wings by the time AI Mk.X appeared

I was going with the above comment that the Mk.XII (Mk.II wings) had ASV Mk.VIII, and hence so did the NF Mk.XIII (Mk.VI wings).  The next upgrade went to Mks. XVII/XIX, before the elderly Mk.II aircraft simply ran out of numbers/hours.  If the ASV numbers are inappropriate, so it goes, but the principle remains.  

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for your responses.  I've been unable to reply further since last week.

We have talked about items 1 and 4 on my list, but we have not gotten around to the second and third items.  Here they are:

2)  Should the belly ID lights on the kit pieces be kept, or should they be removed?

3)  Wheels/tires- are the spoked wheels in the kit correct, or should it be solid hubs on both sides of the landing gear?  I have the Ultracast block tread tires and I'd like to use them if the hub configuration is correct.

And one additional question: did the AI MkVIII require the dipole antennas?  I've seen several pictures now of Mk XII a/c with no dipoles.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed!

Cheers, Jim

Edited by Jim Kiker
Adding more text.

I’m converting an Airfix 1/72 Mossie into an NF.XII at the moment using the Airkit conversion. The conversion instructions state that both wheels have spoked hubs on one side, if that makes sense. I’ll have a look at the instructions when I go back into the shed later to confirm which side the spokes are on.

I don’t know about the belly lights. I’ll have a look in my refs later.

Edited by lasermonkey

The spokes are only on the port side of the wheel.  The vast majority of resin replacement wheels got it wrong and had spokes both sides.  Tamiya got it right but gave drop in hubs for early and late aircraft.

Looking forward to seeing the results. 

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I had another question which came to light as I move along with the build.  Many pictures of that early batch of NF XII's feature the thimble nose cap painted in a dark, likely black, color and with a light disk on the tip of the nose.  Does anyone know what that disk is?  Metal plate (unlikely, it would interfere with the radar signal), painted disk, clear inspection panel, or something else?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks in advance, Jim

The only references I can find suggest it's painted but I'm not entirely convinced. The only clear photo I have that shows it is of the NF.XV.