Gloster Javelin - cross-section frame profiles, plans?

bootneck

I am starting to prepare my requirements in readiness for the Malayan Emergency/Indonesian Confrontation GB, should it get enough members and is selected for inclusion.

My theme would be to scratchbuild a Gloster Javelin; however, googling around shows very little in terms of plans, profiles and section frame sizes etc.  Can anyone please help me to source such material?

cheers,
Mike

MAP had a set that was reprinted in one of the Ac. Archive Post War Jets volumes, and there was also a set in the Alan Hall Publ. range, reprinted in the Warpaint. Not quite sure as I have yet to find one but I think I recall reading a mid 70s booklet by Roger Lindsay also included drawing, but no idea if so and how good if they exist.

Recommend the Gloster Javelin by Richard Frank's lots of tech manual illustration's but no  plan''s showing bulkheads.

Thanks all, :thumbsup:  it is really the cross-section frames/bulkhead details that I would need to get the shape right.  That wide and tapering fuselage is unlike the usual cylinder shape of the single engine types

cheers,
Mike

Hello Mike,

I think that the most accurate Javelin drawings are provided by Airfix in the form of a stencil placement guide in their 1/48 scale kit. Unfortunately it doesn't give neither fuselage nor wing cross sections.

I have the Maintenance Training Manual but it doesn't have the cross sections; only "skeleton views" like Richard Frank's book. Hopefully John (Canberrakid) and his Fabulous Library of Various Air Publications come to rescue.

A couple of years ago there was guy here on BM who was a member of a team restoring a Javelin. He had lots of interesting stuff about the Flat Iron. If I can find his email, I will PM it to you.

I have already built three 60 Squadron Javelins. Should I participate in the GP and build the fourth one...😉

Cheers,

Antti

10 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

Would measurements of the Airfix 1/48th kit be of any use?

Thanks for the idea Alex.

I think that is how I shall have to go about this, although I cannot afford the Airfix kit.  There is a Mistercraft? kit in 1:72 scale, I will get one of those and take the measurements from that. 

Mike

8 hours ago, Antti_K said:

I have already built three 60 Squadron Javelins. Should I participate in the GP and build the fourth one...😉

Absolutely Antti! :D

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

Thanks for the idea Alex.

I think that is how I shall have to go about this, although I cannot afford the Airfix kit.  There is a Mistercraft? kit in 1:72 scale, I will get one of those and take the measurements from that. 

Mike

The Mistercraft kit is an "improved" copy of the Frog kit; I recall a thread not that long ago discussing the merits of the available 1/72 kits, which may prove helpful.

@Antti_K, any opinions on the drawings which should be included with the Dynavector kit I have somewhere in the stash? Not sure if there are sections, though.

Ha ha!  Thanks Alex, I have a kit on the way and will have a bash at measuring that.  I've got plenty of time as the subject hasn't even been selected for the GB yet.  WE NEED MORE SIGNATORIES!

If the subject doesn't get included in a GB then I shall just make the Javelin anyway as it is was such a nice aircraft.  It was also the first jet fighter I ever saw in operational service.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tempestfan said:

.....any opinions on the drawings which should be included with the Dynavector kit I have somewhere in the stash? Not sure if there are sections, though.

Doh! doh! and thrice doh!

You have reminded me that I have a Dynavector kit in the stash. :banghead:  I have just checked the instructions and they do indeed have drawings with cross section details.

Mike :chair:

• Haha 2

Mike, that's the proper way in military aviation: check and then check again🙂

To my eye the Dynavector 1/48 scale kit has too "box-like" fuselage. It just misses the beautiful curves.

Cheers,

Antti

16 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Mike, that's the proper way in military aviation: check and then check again🙂

To my eye the Dynavector 1/48 scale kit has too "box-like" fuselage. It just misses the beautiful curves.

Cheers,

Antti

You have been looking at the Sabrinas for too long, have you? 

• Haha 2

On 28/07/2021 at 04:59, gingerbob said:

Where were those again? 😉

Ha! You funny guy.    :)

This photo shows the cross-sectional curvature of the fuselage nicely:

airbrakes resamp

I have three 1:72 Javelin kits - Airfix/Heller, Frog/Novo, and ZTS. The only one that comes close to this is Airfix. The others are much more "squared-off."

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2