Airfix B-17G machine guns: oversized?

lasermonkey

Hi all,

I'm reaching the stage where I'm going to have to commit to fitting the first 0.50"s to my Airfix B-17G. I'm sure I read that they're considerably over-scale. They certainly look rather too big. I bought some Quickboost replacement barrels, but these look too small in comparison with the weapon's body.

So, are the Airfix guns indeed too big and if so, what's recommended to replace them, bearing in mind I don't exactly have a huge amount of cash to throw at it?

Cheers,

Mark.

See here: 

http://replicaplans.com/BrowningM2.html

This site sells plans to build a 1:1 replica (non-working). They have all the dimensional data you need to determine the correct size in any scale.

Or you can download (for free) the 1942 Army tech manual here: https://archive.org/details/TM9-225_1942

Edited by Space Ranger

Hi Mark,

@lasermonkey I agree with you. The .50's in the Airfix B-17G look like they were stretched, especially part F12. Part F9 is the best. So using the Quickboost barrels may improve the look of the gun. Or you could chop them up to shorten them up a bit before adding the barreIs.  If you want to check dimensions, this may help:

Barrel length* (as measured from the front of the receiver assembly to the muzzle) - ~30.5" or 0.42" in 1/72.

Receiver length - ~0.32" 1/72

Receiver depth (at rear) - ~0.076" 1/72

Barrel jacket OD - ~1.8" or 0.025" in 1/72

Overall length (from the end of the back plate group to muzzle) - ~57" (0.79" 1/72)

* The measurement includes the installation of a trunnion adapter or the Edgewater recoil adapter. The recoil adapter is the large diameter cylinder molded at the base of the barrel jacket. Except Part 12, the cans represent the gun mounts.

Sources - measurements and manuals for Browning Machine Gun, Caliber .50, M2, Aircraft Basic.

Don

P.S. - The .50's in the Airfix B-25 kits are much better.

• Thanks 1