1/72 Buccaneer - SAAF

I'm afraid I've been absent from BM for sometime because finishing this became an obsession.....

spacer.png

I started it for the Africa Group Build back in February. Everything was going really well until I started applying the decals. Let's just say that everything literally went South....

I never managed to finish the build in time, but I had gone too far to bin it. which was my first inclination.

Anyway, not quite the finish I had hoped for, but what's done, is done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Link to the build process can be found here 1/72 SAAF Buccaneet (Airfix) - run aground.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

mike

• Like 61
  • Thanks 2

I think it looks great! I so want to do mine.   

Todders

• Like 1

Congratulations. Your persistence has left you with a lovely model. Not the finish you had hoped for? I'd say it's a finish most of us would be proud of.

• Like 1

i think it looks nice! I think its the first Afrikaaner Buccaneer i've seen, built up from the new Airfix kit.

Like you, i made a lot of mistakes and i will definitely approach things differently when it comes time to build my second one. However, i have a Wyvern, a VC10 and a Spitfire Mk. I to finish first.

-d-

• Like 1

Agree, glad it's been sparred from the 'round file'! 

She's come up a treat and I've one stashed which will hopefully be built in the same scheme one day. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

Loooks fantastic, I have the honour of knowing the great Nevell Beckett who helped design the Bucc while he was at Blackburn and then he whent on to work heavily on the EAP and latterly the Typhoon. It was with his guidance and input that made me a great lover of the bucc and how such an aircraft can stir up the imagination of many a boy and grown man.

What i like most about your build is the fact you didnt bin it, because id you had you wouldnt have a damn fine example of her to show to us all. 

Brava that man and Ilook forward to seeing your next project.

• Like 1

Interesting... I knew Neville Beckett in his time at Warton, when he was responsible for studying the current and forthcoming Soviet types using sources well above my security rating.  A very interesting and enthusiastic person to talk to, and very informative - within limits, of course.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the generous comments - much appreciated.

Proof (as if it were ever needed) to keep plugging away in the face of adversity :

Wrong sized decals :

spacer.png

Getting carried away with self-levelling thinners and then having to go back to plastic :

spacer.png

and then discovering a massive crack in the canopy when the masking was removed :

spacer.png

Thanks to MAV decals, I'm ready to have another go :

spacer.png

....and this time I might put some rocket pods under the wings 😆

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2021 at 8:17 PM, Graham Boak said:

Interesting... I knew Neville Beckett in his time at Warton, when he was responsible for studying the current and forthcoming Soviet types using sources well above my security rating.  A very interesting and enthusiastic person to talk to, and very informative - within limits, of course.

He certainly does have the clearence and pay grade on a level above most, he does have the fame within Air Inteligence (my role) for being a very eagle eyed chap.

A humble gentleman, a good friend and a credit to the UK Aerospace Industry.

• Like 1