Tamiya Lancaster B I 1/48

Since I finished my huge He177 I had to build a display case for big birds. The space available is big enough to accomodate two more heavies. Here is the first one:

Tamiya`s Lancaster, finished here as a B I. I used some PE for the cockpit which is completely invisible and Eduard masks for the clear parts. Apart from that, all is OOB.

Paints used were Tamiya X-18 (semi-gloss black), XF-81 and MrHobby H-72. Camo was sprayed free-hand. The upper sides were primed in light grey in order to lighten up the camo colours.

The plastic of the kit is black so I guess that was a good idea. (Btw.: Black plastic is painful to my old eyes, when you handle it there is nearly any contrast.)

The build itself was pleasant, the kit is not up to Tamiya`s recent standard, but with a little bit of filler it came out OK:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks for looking!

Volker

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Looks stunning, I really like that its a clean Lanc! How did the build go? I've heard mixed reviews about the kit.

• Like 1

It’s a good clean model. Nothing wrong with that at all. Museum modelling. 

Personally, I can’t help thinking that it’s half an acre of weathering opportunities for you though. It’s all a matter of taste really. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MBM said:

Looks stunning, I really like that its a clean Lanc! How did the build go? I've heard mixed reviews about the kit.

Fit is generally good. I had a hard time with the engine nacelles though. Maybe it was my fault, but I could not get gaps to the wings closed on all four engines. I used some filler in those areas and if you have a close look you can see it. If I were to build a Lancaster again I would put more effort and attention on the nacelles.

Or build the HKM kit. 🙂

Ah I made this kit about 10 or more years ago the engine nacelle's aren't a good fit I had the exact same problem and used fiiller myself bit else where was just fine I saw a review as well around the time I made it stating the same exact thing. You got them to look just fine though nice model.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 12:10 AM, SAT69 said:

That looks great! You've tempted me to get one of those kits now.

You’d be far better off getting the new HKM one, IMO 

Better fit and cleaner details 

Bruce 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2021 at 8:16 AM, VolkerR. said:

I had a hard time with the engine nacelles though.

Great job! I think there is something about a Tamiya 1/48 Lanc that definitely gives the subject a "presence". Tamiya did in fact issue a revised version of the kit about 10 years ago (moulded in standard Tamiya grey plastic) with some additional sprues correcting some of the kit's faults and giving additional options. This included new nacelles with recessed panel detail and unshrouded exhausts, bulged and flattened main wheels with smooth tyres, new props and parts for the late rear turret with two .50 cal machine guns. In one release they even included an additional set of painted canopy and clear turret parts - nice! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichG said:

Great job! I think there is something about a Tamiya 1/48 Lanc that definitely gives the subject a "presence". Tamiya did in fact issue a revised version of the kit about 10 years ago (moulded in standard Tamiya grey plastic) with some additional sprues correcting some of the kit's faults and giving additional options. This included new nacelles with recessed panel detail and unshrouded exhausts, bulged and flattened main wheels with smooth tyres, new props and parts for the late rear turret with two .50 cal machine guns. In one release they even included an additional set of painted canopy and clear turret parts - nice! 

That is some valuable information, I never knew that. If I ever get to build another one, now I know what kit to look for. Thank you!

Hi Volker,

that’s really a „Bomber“!   Very nice finish and subtle weathering! Looking forward for further „Bombers „

thx for sharing ! 

Cheers

Andy 

🍻

• Like 1