Westland Lizzie in desert gear

Westland Lysander by Dora Wings. Modelled after the RAF contingent in Egypt in 1941-2, possibly at Ma'aten Bagush where my dad was stationed for a while.

51334386019_eb46a8d9b7_b.jpg
IMGP0209a by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

51333877788_481581bed3_b.jpg
IMGP0210a by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

Period photo from the IWM:
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205209180

And one from my dad's negatives:
51185747924_7e6b7b1456_b.jpg
nass39-11 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

Yes, it was not an easy one, though I did better on it than the Blenheim IV in the distance which really doesn't warrant a closer look, hence the wide open aperture !!

To be fair, I think if I'd anticipated how much subtle trimming would be needed the fit would not have bothered me too much, but sometimes it was a case of, "Oh, that's irritating", followed by, "Ah, so is that". On the other hand, this was the first I've done with canopy masks, which takes some practice.

I have a photo project on at the moment so it may be some time before I get back to the bench.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Smudge said:

Nice. Interesting camo scheme colours.

Great personal story. Any more pictures?

If you click on the final photo it should take you straight to the Flickr folder. Quite a few aircraft from 1938-41.

• Like 2

Oh wow. Those pictures are amazing. I'm so glad I asked 😊 The aircraft and your comments about the 'actions' are fascinating. Your other pictures are great too, thanks so much for sharing them. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Oh wow. Those pictures are amazing. I'm so glad I asked 😊 The aircraft and your comments about the 'actions' are fascinating. Your other pictures are great too, thanks so much for sharing them. 

Believe me, working on these packs of negatives has been an education for me. Thirty years ago I tried wet printing some in the darkroom, but waiting all these years to be able to scan them has been worthwhile. It's just over a year since I started putting them on Flickr and in that time a number of historians have added to the stories. 🙂

• Like 1

I don't have anything as interesting as that I'm afraid, but I was thinking of getting a scanner for some of my old negatives. Nice to see they came out so good.

Good luck with your project. 

• Like 1