Revell 1/32 Bf110 C7/C2

1 hour ago, dov said:

To give you some input, in case of a project for German  radio equipment:

Happy modelling

Thanks very much I've already done the interior but it'll be handy for the 32nd HE-111 which will be my next Luftwaffe build I've seen a lot of 3D printed parts which look absolutely brilliant.

Hallo Deano353

I want to give you an idea, what I found out during almost 3 decades of modelling: WW2 aircraft only, I talk about now:

Most radio installation from aftermarket products do not show accurate what it really was.

No matter which one, if Eduard or anything else.

I ended up in building RAF bombers, all execpet Stirling, and hat to recognize this major vissible flaw!

I got in contact with Signal Museum Henlow, and got everything I needed. Look at my post.

The same situation occured with german radio installation.

I went to our Signal Museum in Vienna, the photos you have are the result.

Next area of flaws: MG installation and infreastructure to operate them.

Munition in and out, electricity, fixing, etc.

Next area of flaws: The framing of the canopy: Interior framing and exterior framing.

Best example the 110, or 87, or 88. See my post.

Next earea of flaws: Leaving out curtains. See my post!

For the 111, I can give you lots of info, if you want to get deep into the subject!

Happy modelling

Thanks for the info there I think I've all I need for this one as the cockpit is finished however I'll post when I do the 111. I don't have the kit at this time so it'll be a while.yet. once I've this made I'll move the build to the dioramas section as that's what I'll be doing with this. 

So I've been touching up areas as even though it's going to be crash landed I still prioritise a quality build as I don't like seam lines etc and try to fix as much as is possible before priming. Here I have a join which was like a trench so I filed it and used the melted plastic to fill.the gaps either side.spacer.png Above is before and below is after.spacer.png I will rescribe the detail that's been lost however I'm happy with how it's turned out here. The rescribed line will be much finer than what I had.spacer.pngAlso last night I got started on the internal frame which will be under the canopy I'm thinking I might have to do something about the seatbelts if I do the crew crawling out of the aircraft as they're sitting perfectly neat. spacer.png

Progress is not too bad but I've a way yet. The majority of the aircraft is completed and I managed snap a gun barrel on the nose as well which was clever but I'm thinking there'll be replacements online somewhere like Hannants. So far so good I'm filling all the small gaps with the melted plastic as its so much better for sanding and instead of a brittle join you basically have the same material it's much better to work with.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Apologies everyone who.was interested in this at the start, I lost all motivation to continue the build plus I started working for a new company so there's beena few distractions well one but it's been a busy year. I have some updates as I took a few photos through the year while making this. I bought an Eduard mask set which took hours to apply, thank goodness I didn't do it myself god knows how long that would have taken to do!spacer.png

Next I painted it black and then sprayed Alclad Steel as I had no Aluminium left so this should work. I wanted to have paint chips all over to add to the physical damage so I tried a new technique to me at least it is salt chipping so I used rock salt and a wet brush and dabbed salt all over the aircraft.

spacer.png

I also completed the detail in the wheel wells I haven't painted it but the frameworkis there. A lot of OOB detail I must say!spacer.png

I have gotten a base a well it's a cork board from a supermarket. spacer.pngI used foam and white glue and scenics stony desert to make the start of the base.spacer.pngI have begun the camouflage pattern for this, I have seen it on the 109 in the Aftika Korps photos but not this so it's not accurate but I like the pattern so I'm going with it. It's half finished as I post this. spacer.png

The resin pilots are Blackdog sets the detai is very good on the figures I hope to do them justice. I bought Tamiya 32nd scale luftwaffe artillery for North Africa as it was the closest I could get figure wise but they made the pilots look like giants soI have left them off for now while I figure out something else out. Hope you guys enjoy the photos. I will try and be a bit more regular with the posts lol.

• Like 2

Gotthe paint job completed for the camouflage pattern. I still have to weather the aircraft and decal it which should hopefully take place tomorrow. The salt weathering worked quite well I have tried to show this as well as possible with the limited light it's not shown brilliantly bit you should see. The damaged engine is starting to look well now as well as I had hoped. So far the kit has been pretty good. Not sure I'd make another as it's so big but I would recommend this. Here's a few photo's to enjoy all comments welcome.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thom216 said:

It's all tying together really nicely! I like how you can follow that meandering march of shell holes all the way to the engine.

Thanks very much, I wanted to have the aircraft look like it was ripped up diagonally left to right. I was skeptical myself about whether it would work but I think it's coming together. 

Edited by Deano353

14 minutes ago, Deano353 said:

Thanks very much, I wanted to have the aircraft look like it was ripped up diagonally leftto right. I was sceptical myself about whether it would work but I think it's coming together. 

I'd say! Great work. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deano353 said:

Thanks very much, I wanted to have the aircraft look like it was ripped up diagonally leftto right. I was sceptical myself about whether it would work but I think it's coming together. 

Everything is in motion, so a meandering pattern is far more believable than a straight line.😉

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Everything is in motion, so a meandering pattern is far more believable than a straight line.😉

Haha yes! I basically took the drill and hacked away. Thinking while I'm doing it, what on earth am I doing with this kit??? But I figured I'd committed which means it'll need a base otherwise I'll have a weird looking model lol.

• Haha 1

More painting today yellow and white I think these are identification marks? I know someone here knows. I like the yellow on the German aircraft which is why the wing tips were painted as well as the engines. The white stripeis very thick but you'll see the marking options call for this. I'm really enjoying painting this as it turns out. I usually make jet aircraft but I think I'll definitely be doing more WW2 aircraft after this specifically Luftwaffe I think. So here's a few more updatesI told you I'd pull my socks up and get more posts. spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I think the yellow is a bit more towards orange, when I initially sprayed it I thought it looked ok but I think it's a shade or two off.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got more work done, the decals are on I managed to screw up the letter M on the left hand side of the fuselage so I did my best to mask it and paint it, with all the battle damage the bad job I did hopefully isn't too obvious! I used humbrol 11 silver as the Alclad steel wasn'tas bright as I had hoped.spacer.png

I dry brushed the silver around the engine to highlight the detail and to simulate paint chipping around the bullet holes it's looking good in person but if you're looking at the photos with a big screen they may be a bit crude but I hope not lolspacer.pngbecause the landing gear is directly behind the engines I thought a flat tyre would be a good addition. I used a razor saw and cut the wheel at an angle in order to leave the aircraft sitting at an angle. I cut some evergreen plastic card to fill in the bottom of the tyre and filler to build up the sides.spacer.pngit's starting to take shape in the way I had hoped at the start of the idea for a shot down Bf110. spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngwell I still have to put a wash over it I have Flory models sand and dark dirt so I will be applying that and then adding oil streaks and airbrushing the exhaust onto the wings and there's probably a few things I'm missing as well to mention. Anyway enjoy the photos and if there's any tips you guys have for a WW2 plane in this state let me know I never build any aircraft of this era in fact this is my only one so far!

• Like 2

The weathering continues. It's dark by the time I finish work so I have no natural light for the photos but hooefully you can appreciate the progress in them. The finish line is in sight!spacer.pngspacer.pnghaving a blown up engine cover is the only way I could think of as a way not to let the detail go to waste as I like to try to make my models look realistic but worn. There's two fully detailed engines so there's lots of ways to display them I'm sure. I still have some final details to add and also more weathering such as oil streaks etc.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngI'm not happy with the stony desert base I'm not sure what to do with it. I have the punctured tyre but the base is baron, I will add 2 figures but otherwise I think it needs more. 

• Like 2

I've sprayed the final clear coat over the top side of the model and have sealed in the pigments I brushed on. I've used sand and soot to add tonal variations to the paintwork. The chipped paint is now nicely blended and not so stark. I'm not sure the photos show the detail well but they show the colour quite well, the panel lines are very fine on this kitspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

I don't have any build updates but while I remembered I do haf natural light so I thought I'd get a few photos for all to see. I think it looks much better in daylight than in artificial light. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngThat's all I have for now. The pigments etc which have all been sealed in with a clear coat really add to the worn appearance of the aircraft. Anyway enjoy the photos I am going to start on the final details.

• Like 3

I am probably the worlds slowest model builder as my updates are minimal but Ihave the rest of the canopy assembled and added the gear doors. I have also gotten a coat of paint on the figures. They're very well detailed I just hope I can do them justice. It's sunny today so I took a few photos I only have my mobile phone camera so the quality isn't great bit good enough I hope.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngThese are the resin figures in case anyone is interested they're very well detailed indeed I think I'll be painting them for a good while to come.

• Like 1

So it's finished now I have posted the completed model on ready for inspection I think there are two following this which is why I am posting this here. spacer.png

• Like 4