Revell 1/32 Bf110 C7/C2

I normally make jet aircraft but as for WW2 aircraft this is one of my favourites I got this at Christmas so far the detail and fit is very impressive and I'm having no issues whatsoever. I have used the kit decals where stated to use and have even used the seatbelt decals I don't often do that but I thought if give it a go I think next time I'll put them onto tape first for a more 3D look. As for the dials I decided to use clear glue it's gorilla clear and it's the same consistency as pva glue ans once dried it gives the dials the appearance of having glass over them and I'm very happy with the result so far I'll be doing that from now on. The paint has been coated in floor polish and washed with oils. As this isn't my usual stomping ground in terms of aircraft any advice would be appreciated and I hope you enjoy the photos. I don't have any others so I've taken them as the cockpit was getting completed.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Alan P said:

What a great start! Looks like a nice kit and definitely impressive so far.

Thanks yeah it's actually a really enjoyable build thus far and so far so good it's pretty large for what I was expecting it's comparable to an F-16 in the same scale.

4 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Following this thread because I too want this kit. 

Which version will you be making? The C-2 from Poland or the C-7 from Russia?

Hi I'm doing the C7 because I just realised in the instructions I had to file a part of the instrument panel to backdate it I've no knowledge of the plane so I'm assuming the armament will be the big difference between the two.

• Like 1

I've managed to get a bit more done on this not moving as a fast as I hoped nothing to do with the kit just available time for it. So I've painted the other bulkhead of the fuselage which will complete the interior of the aircflraft I have some decals to apply and a wash and some weathering. I've the basic moulded on detail painted now and a coat of Klear drying and once done I'll decal and post again. So far this is where I'm at.spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

So not much of an update basically waiting on drying time. So I have put a wash and weathering coat on and have applied the few final decals two to be precise one on the side of the fwd fuselage and one on the rear. Once these are dried I'll be able to close up the cockpit and fuselage and get some real updates as I'm aware these aren't much to look at. spacer.pngspacer.png

Anyway tomorrow I should have better progress to show. If you're wondering why there's about 2 litres of decal soft on the decal it's because it's Revells decals and it's like applying wallpaper, however their own brand decal softner works pretty well.

Edited by Deano353
  • Like 3

So finally I have some updates that are a bit better and few things to point out for anyone who wants to build this. So I now have the fuselage halves fitted together which go together no problem.spacer.png

With this the cannons up front have to be installed the four ones in the nose.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Apologies for the sideways photo there but as you can see all the parts and detail that goes into the nose section which once done will look like this.spacer.png

So I have left off all of the internal detail and only fitted the two protruding barrels. However this would be good detail if you wanted to open up the nose and show it off but personally I like a sleek looking aircraft I almost never have open nose sections etc so for me I could skip a lot here.spacer.pngspacer.png

So I painted the inside of the nose as I don't want grey plastic visible from the cockpit which it will be if you don't I test fitted the nose and spotted this so that's something to look out for.spacer.png

So the model is coming along nicely now I want to point out something here when the cockpit is being sandwiched between the fuselage halves there's a step close to the front of each half which is for the cockpit floor to attach to.spacer.png

It's the slightly downwards angled part at the bottom of each side. If you glue the cockpit floor to either side of the fuselage on this step the fuselage will be too narrow and you'll have a big step to sand away on the outside of the fuselage so only attach it to one side and the nose will fit properly I test fitted  the nose and noticed the big step and the cause behind it before the glue dried so I was lucky so just be aware of this, it's the Dragon kit so whether you have the £110 boxing or Revells £50 boxing it's probably going to be the same unless I have some shrinkage from the mould on my kit and it's a one off either way that's a tip for anyone making this. spacer.png

Anyway guys this is where I'm at so I'm happy with the progress so far. I may have an update later on today but if not.probably tomorrow I have to clean up the seams etc and ensure a good shape before moving on so enjoy and any questions ask away if I spot any more issues later in the build I'll be sure to.let you know what they might be. The issue so far wasn't exactly a fit issue but it could have been.

2 hours ago, Model Mate said:

Gorilla clear glue has become my go-to for dials and lights too as well as fixing canopies - it's good stuff for this sort of thing.

Yeah this is the first time I have used it so I'll be using it from now on for sure.it looks the part.

• Like 8

Got the engines now ready for paint they're really well detailed for what I was expecting. I'll probably do one uncovered and one closed up because the detail is just Beyond what I had expected so I think this will work well after a coat of paint and detail painting. I'm done it today as my eyes can't take any more looking through a magnifying glass. I'll probably get these painted and detailed by Friday I'd say if not a bit sooner, I hope more.frequent updates as I'm hoping to have this finished by the end of this month.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I have now got Afrika Korps decals for this i like the North African desert camouflage I think this variant from what I've seen might not have been in North Africa but I think.its possible a few may have been there. It's going to have a worn look and hopefully in a diorama in the future.

• Like 3

Sorry for the slow updates but I have more now I have decided to make a diorama with my Bf110 I have decided to do a scenario where a Bf110 has taken a lot of damage in combat lost an engine and limped home to base. I have painted one engine to show as if it was on fire and I've added solder wire I'm not completely happy with it so I will continue working on the engine that's burned out I've not painted something to look as though it was on fire but I've a few photos below so the first one was my initial attempt. 

spacer.png

It looked a bit too orange and the engine is still as per the box but I thought the engine would have taken damage from the Spitfires assault or hurricanes whoever had the larger guns. spacer.png

So what I did was use a mix of Tamiya extra thin cement on scrap plastic with filler and stamp it all over the engine to get a texture that's rough

spacer.png I still think I need to do more but I used NATO black and Orange to get this effect it's less bright but the surface is rough and looks ruined which is exactly what I wanted. I wanted the engine to look shredded.spacer.pngspacer.pngyou can see in this the extra wire I put in which was solder wire I got off Amazon for a few pounds. I'm happy with it so far, usually I never make crashed aircraft but it's actually a lot of fun so far as you get to experiment with heat effects and use a drill all over the model and wreck it just enough. spacer.pngso this is the wing and the area the engine is housed I used a drill and filed the edges of the plastic down to make it look thin enough I've also drilled out the exhausts the best I could and the paint was just because I am experimenting with the burned out effect when it's painted I'll have to go over this and do it again but it gives me an idea where I'm going as I'm making it up as I go.spacer.pngspacer.pngSo the idea is it's been hit diagonally from left to right I'll be adding damage to the port tail fin as well I think. The right engine will be ok as the one that brought it home. I'm happy with how it's going so far I've been using a drill to get the random damage on the airframe which has made life a lot easier. This means it's going to take longer to make the model but that's ok if it turns out the way I imagine it will. The starboard landing gear will be partly collapsed if not completely as I think the landing gear would be damaged and the tyre punctured so not sure how I'll simulate that but I'm sure there's a YouTube tutorial somewhere. This below is my work bench whenever I make something and I'm a tide person lol does any one else ever end up with this?spacer.png

If any one has tips on doing crashed aircraft I'm all ears or knows how to best achieve a burned look please comment below and offer any advice. 

• Like 4

The sun came out and I got better light for the photo so here's the engine in better light.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Here's the damage across the top of the engine as well.

• Like 5

On 8/10/2021 at 1:52 PM, Deano353 said:

does any one else ever end up with this?

All the time. Great build I’m really looking forward to seeing how the battle damage works out. I presume you’ll be building a diorama for it.

Also remember the 88mm was developed as an anti aircraft gun and the Russians had similar calibration weapons so imagine what a direct hit from an 88 might do to an engine. Your 110 might have been unlucky enough to get hit by AA fire then finished off by a fighter.

Makes me think of a hard landing GB which would be cool, but I don’t think we’d get enjoy ugh members to get to the by fight.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Having never done a crash/damaged look, all I can do is laud your efforts! Though I will say that those two holes on top of the engine may look too neat...?

Thanks! Well one of them was where a cap was I'm not sure what it was for butI figured it would be a bit more rounded however I think I should rough them up a bit I didn't notice until.you pointed that out, it's a bit of a work in progress as I never do downed aircraft I did one once before but it was for someone else and i actually found it very enjoyable.

• Like 1

@Marklo I will.be making this into a diorama yes I was just going to do a straight build OOB and no modifications but I got an idea of an aircraft downed in North Africa and I think I'll maybe have it on a beach or by the coastline as I really like resin water effects so might just develop into something like that.

I have more progress here I've the wings built I will have a bit of work to do to them and they're not yet glued in place however I'm at this stage now.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

I've the wings glued into place there and the fit is ok I'll wait for the glue to dry overnight and see how it turns out.

spacer.png

As I've cut the ailerons off the wings I noticed the top and bottom are different so I have used plastic card to fill the difference in so I can position them for the crash.spacer.png

I have also removed a panel along where the engine is and cut thin sheet to shape and bent the plastic so it should look like damage to the surface of the aircraft I will probably be replacing more panels like this or misshaping them with a drill to make areas look dented.spacer.png

And finally you can see the holes on the starboard wing which I have going through the wheel well as well with light coming through from the top of the wing.spacer.png

It's quite tricky to see much in the photo as I needed the light behind the part in order to show it passing through there's more holes but you can only see them from different angles.

• Like 3

I've made up some home made filler to see 8f it works well.or not I saw it on Flory models and I've basically cut up a load of white plastic card and put it into extra thin cement and left it a few hours and I now have a jar of liquid plastic which seems to be better than standard filler for gaps it's a lot easier than putting a wedge in and filing it down. I've no idea how well it'll work but it seemed ok.spacer.pngspacer.png

I'm going to let this dry a few hours and then use the drill to create dents across the nose and underside of the fuselage.

• Like 1

So I have used a drill to create dents across the nose section as I think that's going to be the most noticeable dents from the crash. I'll be sanding them as well I have done so far a bit of sanding. I can't believe I'm.deliberately wrecking the kit but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end. spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I think with a bit more work this will hopefully look good under paint I'll have to see.

So I've got the ailerons attached with a good bit of sanding to thin the plastic on the wings so the flaps aren't off set.

spacer.pngspacer.png The melted plastic in glue has filled the gaps perfectly I've sanded the small excess and it's a perfect finish I scribed the join again as I assume that's a panel line but it'll not be visible on the diorama but still.spacer.png

As you can see the Bf110 is massive in 1/32 I've literally no idea where I'm going to put it when it's done as the base is going to have to be pretty massive.spacer.png

I've the ailerons deflected as I would think upon a crash landing the handling is going to possible be a bit chaotic and I think having the flaps all aligned wouldn't look right. spacer.png

I had to get the light behind me to show the other as it wasn't obvious when I held it in the light.spacer.png

You can see the glossy wing root that's just the melted plastic it's quite a thick consistency and I used a paintbrush to apply it. The plastic dries in a few minutes to the touch but it'll be tomorrow before I sand it if it needs sanding as it conforms to the shape I wish I had done this before it saves a lot of time and it's not chalky or brittle like standard filler I think when it hardens lis basically a plastic weld.spacer.png

So I will start on the tail wings and vertical stabilizers and those will have to have some deflection I was going to to the main flaps but they are shaped around the rear engine housings and that was a whole other level of work I wasn't prepared to do and besides I think a crash landing may be low and fast enough that they aren't used anyway I've been looking online at these for desert schemes and all over sand appears to be what they were, the decals I have show a splinter scheme but I think I'll possibly do a scheme I saw on a 109 in the desert which was a green spotted pattern over sand yellow but I'll keep looking in case there's any more ideas out there. I'm a way away from painting at this time so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Progress has been slow as I've been busy but got a bi t done here. I have the main body of the aircraft together now and have separated the control surfaces and drilled through to simulate damage.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

As you can see below the aircraft is massive and I'm going to have a struggle getting a base which will work for this. I need to get foam board I can sculpt in order to do the main crash site but I think with the amount of work left on this it'll be a while at least.

spacer.png

• Like 2