Boeing 757-200 - 1:144 Zvezda

Viking

Boeing 757-200 Icelandair

(7032) Zvezda 1:144

box.jpg

First flown in 1982 the Boeing 757 was designed as a replacement the to hugely successful 727 tri-jet. The initial version was the -200 as depicted in this kit, which entered service with Eastern Airlines on January 1st 1983. Designed to cruise at higher altitudes than the 727, the 757 was able to achieve up to 45% fuel saving over its predecessor. The later -300 version stretched the fuselage by 23 ft (7.1m) and entered service in 1999. It has served widely with Civil, Military, and Government/VIP operators, as both passenger and freight haulers.  Offered with the Rolls-Royce RB-211 or Pratt & Whitney PW2000 engines, a total of 1,049 757's of all versions were delivered. After nearly 40 years of service it is becoming an increasingly rare sight in the skies.

Since this kit was announced, it has been eagerly awaited by airliner modellers, and first impressions are that it was well worth the wait. It is presented in Zvezda's stout cardboard post-office resistant box, with an outer sleeve depicting an Icelandair 757 taking off. Slide the outer cover off and the box reveals a set of beautiful looking moulding in light grey plastic. Panel lines are lightly engraved, and details are razor sharp on all the finer elements such as engine fans and undercarriage legs.  The fuselage features the 'lobe crease' along its length, but is difficult to photograph as it is so subtle.

spruea.jpg

Construction starts with the cockpit (we don't say that very often in airliner modelling!) with seats, control columns and rear bulkhead. Strips of glazing are provided for the cabin windows, and the instructions show to remove various lengths from each one, a sure sign that a -300 is on the way, and this sprue will be shared with it.

spruec.jpg

The cockpit opening is of the 'letterbox' type, with a clear insert for the glazing, like the Airfix 'Skyking' and some Revell kits do. The instructions note to include 10 gr of weight in the nose to prevent tail sitting. 

spruea-1.jpg

spruec-1.jpg

There is no option to assemble it with slats and flaps down (which seemed to divide opinion amongst modellers) as the wings are formed from a single span lower part with individual uppers for each side. This is a virtually fool proof way of getting the dihedral set correctly and equally each side, simplicity itself.

sprueb.jpg

sprueb-1.jpg

The wing can be built with the upward curved 'winglets', or the standard tips which are included but marked as not for use. Either are probably appropriate as photos show Icelandair 757's with both at various times.

spruee-1.jpg

Next up are the engines, and here we have a real bonus. Zvezda have included both the Rolls-Royce and P&W options in full, which is very welcome for those of us who like to buy multiple kits and finish them with aftermarket decals for other liveries.

sprued.jpg

The Rolls-Royce engines are used on this Icelandair version, and feature stunningly moulded fan detail.

sprued-1.jpg

Also welcome is the provision of inner liners for the intakes. They are in 2 parts so can be assembled and smoothed off before fitting to the fan units. Knowing how accurately Zvezda's kits fit together, a quick swipe with some wet & dry paper should clean up any seams in seconds. 

spruee.jpg

Finally the undercarriage is assembled, but there is the option to assemble it 'gear up' in flight, and a sturdy stand is provided should you chose to do this.

stand.jpg

The undercarriage is made up of Zvezda's typically fine detailed parts, so will need care in assembly. Attention to detail evident even here as two complete sets of wheels are provided, each with different hub patterns. Kudos to Zvezda!

spruee-3.jpg

Nose leg main part:

spruee-2.jpg

I've had a couple of messages since posting this review, asking if it is possible to fit the nose leg after assembly. The good news is yes! Stage 10 in the instructions is the final step, and this is where you fit all the legs to complete the model.

instr2.jpg

Summaries from the instructions to illustrate some of the pints made above.

instr1.jpg

Decals
Just one colour scheme is provided, that of Icelandair. It is beautifully printed in perfect register and with minimal carrier film. Silver framing is provided for all window surrounds and the cockpit glazing. A much appreciated touch is the provision of blocks of colour for the blue and yellows needed for painting the model. These will be the engine cowlings (yellow) and the under fuselage and fin. A second sheet provides the wing and tailplane walkway markings.

decals.jpg

option.jpg

Conclusion.
The 757 has been high on many airliner modeller 'wants' list for several years. There are nice resin kits available, but the two injection moulded 757's from Minicraft and Eastern Express are not up to most modellers expectations, and can now be consigned to 'collectors only'. This new kit far and away exceeds them, and looks to be outstanding 'in the box. I have no doubt that it will build up with the superb fit that Zvezda achieve with their kits, a little care will be needed with assembling the noseleg, but the rest of it looks to be simplicity itself.

I am sure that it should be a big seller for Zvezda, and that the aftermarket decal producers should be releasing some of the many, many attractive schemes that the 757 wore over the years.

Highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.jpg

bin.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Excellent review, I've a few of these on order and am kinda hoping they arrive before my next set of days off! I've already picked up some nice FDcal sheets for the RNZAF scheme and BA's Chelsea Rose livery, and the lovely 26Decals BA Negus livery. Fingers crossed for plenty more nice schemes to come.

Any chance of some pics of the sprue with the gear parts?

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 3

7 hours ago, eng said:

I've already picked up some nice FDcal sheets for the RNZAF scheme and BA's Chelsea Rose livery, and the lovely 26Decals BA Negus livery.

Well that answers that question before I even thought about it! I'll need one of these - one performed at an airshow I attended in 2004 and I was deeply impressed. The kit looks great!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, eng said:

Any chance of some pics of the sprue with the gear parts?

Thanks eng, I'm hoping to build one in 'Chelsea Rose' as well, and possible the classic BA Negus livery.

I've updated the review with some more photographs to show the nose gear and assembly, and a few other bits. The nose leg is multi part and will be delicate to assemble. We wouldn't have it any other way though would we? Certainly not a chunky single part moulding - give me Zvezda's finely detailed style every time .

Cheers

John

On 7/25/2021 at 10:49 AM, Viking said:

Thanks eng, I'm hoping to build one in 'Chelsea Rose' as well, and possible the classic BA Negus livery.

I've updated the review with some more photographs to show the nose gear and assembly, and a few other bits. The nose leg is multi part and will be delicate to assemble. We wouldn't have it any other way though would we? Certainly not a chunky single part moulding - give me Zvezda's finely detailed style every time .

Cheers

John

Thank you very much indeed for adding to your post, superb pics of all the detail.

This is one kit I'm really, really looking forward to, I absolutely love the 757 and it looks like Zvezda have come up with the goods here. The shape looks spot on, with the best will in the world I couldn't bring myself to finish the Minicraft kit I had many years ago its that bad. This will be going straight onto the bench on arrival.

Thanks again for the extra pics,

Rgds

Grae

• 1 year later...