Nakajima Ki-27b "Nate" aka "Abdul" ***FINISHED***

PeterB

Sometime in the 1990's I think, I acquired this kit of the Mitsubishi A5M "Claude".

DSC05476-crop

It could be by Nichimo but I suspect it is the Fujimi version. I had read that the JNAF put a coat of protective laquer on their carrier aircraft which turned the light grey a brownish colour and the "metal finish" a sort of gold/bronze, though I gather this is now a bit suspect but I tried to replicate it, though smoke from my pipe over the years has also darkened and yellowed it a bit too. At the time I wanted to get a Ki-27 to go with it but the only one available was from Hasegawa and therefore a bit expensive so I did not bother. However ICM released one in about 2007 and I did buy that. I cannot be sure exactly how much I paid but even now they are selling for only £10.80 and I suspect that like my I-16 purchased a few years later it probably cost around £7 so is eligible for this GB. 

DSC05474

I was hesitant to build it before because like the I-16 it looked a bit complicated up front and the instructions were rather vague, but having just managed the I-16 without major problems I thought I would give it a go. It comes with 4 optional colour schemes/markings, three in light grey overall and one in the camo used in China - 2 greens and a brown on the uppers, but more of that later. It looks to be a fairly quick build except for the considerable amount of detail in and around the engine compartment and like the I-16 little of any of that will be visible so I may cheat this time - we will see.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

Just to show you why I have been putting this one off, here are the instructions.

nate

There is another page but that just shows adding the previously assembled undercarriage, prop, canop and ailerons which is pretty straightforward. As you can see the front end is rather complicated and the instructions regarding correct location vague. Hopefully once I start I will be able to work out where the cowling parts A19/20/27 go, and why they tell you not to glue the exhaust collector pipes A16/17 on - probably so that you can juggle them to go through the holes in the lower fuselage - at least there are less exhausts than on the I-16! One thing that puzzled me at first was why the fixed undercarriage assemly was labelled "optional" but looking at the sprues there are quite a few parts not shown on the instructions although not marked "parts not for use" on the sprue diagram. These include parts for a version with the spats removed, which is a nice touch even if they forgot to mention! Normally I would paint the engine assembly on the sprue but with the I-16 I found that made gluing difficult and probably hid locating marks so this will get painted once at least partly assembled - very little will be visible anyway - unlike the I-16 there are no cowling panels you can leave off to see the engine detail.

The instructions suggest "light green" for the interior colour but I think I will use Khaki Drab. I will now start putting the cockpit together but in the meantime here is a little background. I have been reading Rene Francillon's book on Japanese aircraft in the Putnam series and this is a much shortened version of his entry on the Ki-27.

Back in 1934 the JAAF issued specification for a replacement for the old Kawasaki Type 92 biplane fighter. Kawasaki submitted their K-10 biplane and Nakajima the K-11 which was a low wing wire braced monoplane reputedly influenced by the Boeing P-12. Although the Ki-11 was considerably faster the pilots were not ready for a monoplane and enclosed cockpit so the more manoeuvrable Ki-10 won. Nakajima continued to work on the radial engined Ki-11 and the inline engined Ki-12 and designed their experimental Type P.E (Pursuit Experimental?). In June 1935 the Koku Hombu instructed Kawasaki, Mitsubishi and Nakajima to develop a new advanced fighter aircraft and Nakajima submitted a development of the P.E. known as the Ki-27. It was up against the Kawasaki Ki-28 low wing cantilever monoplane and the Misubishi Ki-33 which was a land based version of their A5M which was being manufactured for the JNAF. The first prototype Ki-27 flew in October 1936, followed by a second with increased wing area, and this plane reached a top speed of 291mph at 13125ft, compared with 301mph for the Ki-28 at the same altitude and 295mph at 9845ft for the Ki-33. Although not the fastest the Ki-21 was chosen as it had better manoeuvrability than the others, and that was further improved by a slight increase in both span and area of the wings in production models which started to be delivered in late 1937 as the Army Type 97 Fighter Model Ko (Ki-27a).

More next time.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

Well, that was fun. ICM have included locating pins/holes/slots but they are tiny - no wonder I missed them on the I-16 after I had pre-painted the parts. The detail is actually very good but some of the parts are very fragile and getting them off the sprues was tricky.

DSC05482-crop

The cockpit was fairly straightforward once I had worked out where the ruddy guns actually went - the are alongside the seat and the muzzles only just reach the engine firewall/bulkhead which has a couple of "notches" for them. I joined the two fuselage halves, sticking in the IP, and then carefully wiggled the wing in, trying not to dislodge any of the cockpit fittings. It was a very good fit at the front and a rotten one at the back so I had to file some plastic off - overdid it a little and got a slight gap but it will fill. 

DSC05484-crop

Before the glue could dry I got the top wings on - a bit warped but a decent fit in the end - the holes in the top are for the undercarriage as you will see later. I then managed to get the bulkhead and engine support frame in place after a bit of a struggle getting it in around the guns - the engine is just a push fit for now to get the correct alignment - quite a few more bits to go on it before it is glued in. Pat was right, I could probably have done this in the next blitzbuild!

I will leave it to dry and then sort out the joints. - here's the rest of the story.

Initially it had an open cockpit with a long streamlined windscreen, but before long a sliding canopy and normal windscreen were added, with a metal “hump” behind the headrest on the Ki-27Ko (a) It was powered by a 650HP Army Type 97 nine cylinder radial engine (Nakajima Ha-1b) and armed with a pair of Type 89 synchronised 7.7mm mg. Francillon says they were on top of the cowling, but in fact as in the kit they were level with the cockpit floor which should place them somewhere near the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions behind the engine, firing between the cylinders. The improved Ki-27 Otsu (b) version also had provision for light bombs or drop tanks, which extended the range from just 390 miles to around 1060 miles. Speed had fallen slightly to 292mph but it was very manoeuvrable which Japanese pilots valued above all else in the early stages of the war. The Otsu introduced a clear rear section to the canopy and entered service in 1939 just in time to take part in what the Japanese called the Nomonhan incident in June of that year – the Russians call it the battle of Khalkhin Gol, and it involved Japanese forces in Manchuria (Manchukuo to them) attempting to stop a Russian incursion over the border. Losses were disputed with both sides overclaiming massively but later studies suggest it was not the clear victory either side claimed. Matched against the various I-15/15bis biplane and I-16 monoplane Russian fighters the Ki-27 just about held its own, being faster but less manoeuvrable than the former, and vice versa against the latter – the I-153 was as fast and probably more manoeuvrable.

A combination of low speed, poor firepower and lack of armour meant that it was rapidly outclassed once WWII started but in the hands of a skilled pilot it still was dangerous when encountered in the China – Burma -India Theatre where it was initially called Abdul by the Allies, but the South West Pacific Theatre name Nate became generally used. Some sources such as Francillon say that most of the Otsu version were produced by Mansyu Hikoki Seizo KK at Harbin in Manchuria but the later Kagero book says that is wrong and they were mostly built by Nakajima at their Otu plant. Although gradually replaced by the Ki-43 Oscar, they lingered on until the end of the war in some areas, including home defence, and a two seat trainer version was also produced in some numbers as the Ki-79 by Mansyu.

So now you know as much about the Ki-27 as I do!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

Great choice Pete, another Japanese aircraft I hadn't heard of.

I've got a "Babs" from about the same era. I can't remember what I paid for it, but it's strange as you get 2 aircraft in the box, one of which did a record flight but only one canopy, between the 2 ? That or the previous owner lost one !

Another unusual Japanese aircraft I have is a Rareplanes Nakajima Type 91, have you ever built one of these ?

Good luck with this build, it looks a really nice kit.

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

Originally released by Mania in two-per-box, these were then bought by Hasegawa and rereleased singly.  The one most commonly seen was the Kate, which came with a choice of -1 or -2: for a long time Hasegawa only released the -2.  These kits were pretty cutting-edge for the time (early 70s?).  The kits did however come with two canopies. or at least my Kate did.

Mansu variants of the Ki.97 are now available from RS. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I've got a "Babs" from about the same era. I can't remember what I paid for it, but it's strange as you get 2 aircraft in the box, one of which did a record flight but only one canopy, between the 2 ? That or the previous owner lost one !

Another unusual Japanese aircraft I have is a Rareplanes Nakajima Type 91, have you ever built one of these ?

Hi Pat,

I believe the Type 91 is a parasol monoplane that was in front line service between about 1931 and 1937 - nice looking plane and no, I have never seen a kit let alone built one. As to the Babs I guess that is the Ki-15/C5M. I knew that Hasegawa did a Ki-15 and Graham is correct about it being originally a "Mania" kit I think but I was unaware Hasegawa ever did a twin boxing. I have a vague recollection of them releasing the civilian record breaker when I first came across "proper" Hasegawa kits in around 1977 (previously they were Frog boxings I saw) but Scalemates say no. Looking at Francillon's book I suspect that the civil Karigane and the Ki-15 had similar cockpits whilst the C5M had an extra panel at the rear, but if you get two kits in the box I would expect 2 canopies so maybe it did get lost!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

I've seen the civil "Karigane" too, but this was the LS kit, I suspect, rather than the Mania/Hasegawa.  LS made quite a lot of interesting subjects but there was always confusion as to which were 1/72 and which 1/75.    The Dinahs were their best-known kits over here and were 1/72, significantly superior to the Airfix.  I always fancied their Nell but imagined it to be 1/75 - when I did find one years later I put a ruler on it and it was 1.72.  On the other hand I did know their Peggy was 1/75 (unfortunately) yet when it was rereleased as 1/72 I fell for it! 

I don't think that Hasegawa ever released the Mania kits in two-to-a-box.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I've seen the civil "Karigane" too, but this was the LS kit, I suspect, rather than the Mania/Hasegawa.  LS made quite a lot of interesting subjects but there was always confusion as to which were 1/72 and which 1/75.    The Dinahs were their best-known kits over here and were 1/72, significantly superior to the Airfix.  I always fancied their Nell but imagined it to be 1/75 - when I did find one years later I put a ruler on it and it was 1.72.  On the other hand I did know their Peggy was 1/75 (unfortunately) yet when it was rereleased as 1/72 I fell for it! 

I don't think that Hasegawa ever released the Mania kits in two-to-a-box.

Hi Graham,

I bought the LS Peggy in about 1970 from BMW in Wimbledon when I was on a job interview, possibly for Marks & Spencer! Always thought it looked a little small, but I suppose the difference is not great - about 1.25cm smaller span I think. I did not get the job but I got the Peggy which I still have and a Judy which is long replaced and gone - that was probably LS too.  Back in those days prospective employers would pay for a hotel room if you had to travel to visit them so I was a nice outing round London.

Pete

• Like 3

I had a looked, mine is definitely the Mania kit, I might try to build it in the potential "Turning Japanese GB" if @trickyrich manages to get it into 2022.

If anyone can make a canopy from the one I have let me know.

Good call on the Peggy Pete, I've got that one as well, blooming nora, this is just making me realise the stash is completely out of control  !

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

Hi Pat,

Back then there was not a lot of choice - no internet and few people importing Japanese kits, but BMW advertied on the back of Airfix Mag and as I was in the area I thought I would give it a shot. Quite a walk from the ruddy tube station mind! Strange shop - long gone. They were Builders Merchants (BMW) so it was just a small shop they used for a sideline - mostly mail order. Same with Tony Walker in Hackney in his family Post Office - H.J. Walker (Hackney) Ltd. - also long gone, but I bought a lot from Tony by mail order and even helped him import a container of kits from Japan so I could get some of the rarer 1/700 Waterline ships - being a Bank Manager had some advantages after all. Then I discovered Hannants!

Happy days.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

I remember going to Wimbledon (from Kingston) and finding BMW's shop, but it wasn't open.  Riko (Richard Kohnstam) was the key importer of Japanese kits.

When you see a model you don't see the one dimensional length but the 3-dimensional bulk.  A 1/75 aircraft is significantly smaller than a 1/72, about 13%.  The Hasegawa Peggy is a lot larger.  I still have the feeling that the Nell should have a fatter fuselage for a long-range bomber, but the span and length work out.  It must have been very cramped for the crews.  It does however have recessed rivets rather than raised panel lines - not bad for 1971!

• Like 2

Must be mad - this is one of those kits that I just can't leave alone so I have done a bit more! Something of a PITA in truth but I managed to juggle the exhausts so they fitted through the holes in the underside - ICM really don't make it easy for you. After that I fitted the engine, the trumpet shaped pipes I guess are the carburettor intakes, and the various front rings, closed it up and ran a small amount of filler in. Not looking too bad!

DSC05488-crop

I have stuck the horizontal tail on but am leaving off the rudder and tailcone for the moment as the tailskid on the rudder looks pretty fragile. Next up is the undercarriage I guess.

As I mentioned earlier the kit comes with 3 grey all over options and one with the “Chinese” scheme of 2 greens and a brown over grey. Both the JAAF and JNAF used grey a lot, particularly early in the war and allied reports mentioned dark grey, blue grey, green grey, brown grey, light grey and very light grey, almost white. The letter is probably down to bleaching under the hot sun in the Pacific and the brownish versions may or may not be due to the lacquer the JNAF used as I mentioned earlier, but according to some sources all the above are possible under certain circumstances. It has been suggested that the Japanese did not have quite the same strict centralised control over paint colours as say the Germans and Brits and that paint colour could vary not only between manufacturers but also between batches, particularly late in the war as pigments were in short supply. It was also suggested that like the Italians, different plane manufacturers used different manufacturers of paint resulting in certain shades being associated with say Nakajima, whilst Mitsubishi used something slightly different (as was apparently the case with the IJN Arsenals which used their own distinctive shade of grey on warships they painted). When White Ensign were making the Colourcoats paint range they seem to have subscribed to that view and included several greens and greys - Mitsubishi, Nakajima, Kawanishi etc in their range, but Sovereign seem to have decided that the differences were a myth and dropped most of the colours, no doubt based on more recent research. Anyway I will be using either Tamiya or Mr Hobby Colour IJA Grey.

Here they both are on one of my paint mules - an old Airfix Hunter FGA9.

DSC05486-crop

The Tamiya green/grey XF14 is on the right and I think that is good for the early planes so that is what I will use. The Gunze Sangyo Aqueous Hobby Colour H62 is on the left - I think that is probably better for the undersides of later planes with green uppers.

Anyway, as Zebedee would say - time for bed.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Hi Pete. It's great to see you are going to grace our GB with another fascinating project and it looks like you are off to a great start already - despite it being a bit of a pain! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks Stix.

Once you get past the engine compartment it goes together fairly quickly, though the undercarriage has been a pain. ICM want you to glue the two halves of the spats together, then glue them to the strange top fairing that has the wiggly strut on top, before adding the wheels - not a good idea. I followed the instructions and found that the wheels are too thick to fit without forcing the spats open. Oh well, easy enough to fix with filer but if anybody is thinking of building one of these I suggest trying to fit the wheels as you glue the spats together - you may have to slim down the upper 3/4 a bit as well, as only the bottom sticks out.

DSC05492-crop

On the real thing the wheels were mounted in a fork at the end of a vertical rod, and the shock absorbers allowed them to move up and down inside the fairings to the point where the top of the rod stuck out of the top of the wing - hence the holes I mentioned earlier. Just about ready for decs but first I need to figure out what colour the fuselage under the canopy was before I fit it - black at the front I guess but I have no idea what colour it was under the fixed rear section.

I have been having a look at the instructions for the Ki-27a that ICM do and they show both types of undercarriage - the slim wheels in the spats and the large fat low pressure tyres with just a "mudguard". The Kagero book says that the spats were sometimes removed and in some cases the whole fairing, and that some aircraft, mostly trainers, were fitted with the bigger wheels. Speaking of instructions I had a quick look at the Hasegawa ex Mania kit and compared to this it is very simple so I guess that this was good value at less than half the cost.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

• PeterB changed the title to Nakajima Ki-27b "Nate" aka "Abdul". Flying along!

And now it starts to look like a Ki-27.

DSC05494-crop

The decs were a bit of a problem. In spite of their age they went on fairly well, but for the scheme I was doing, one had the wrong number on the instructions and the 2 decs for the red rear fuselage stripe were not listed at all - yes 2 decs as ICM do not provide the usual single curved dec but 2 "half" stripes and as they were not shown on the placement diagram I was not sure which went where. In any case, they did not line up very well so I threw them and masked and painted it - might have to do a little tidying up! There are now 5 decs left and then I will put on the prop, pitot tube, radio aerial (only one in every four were fitted with a radio on the production line apparently). That just leaves 2 little bits that are supposed to go under the starboard inner wing, but according to the drawings in my Kagero book there should be 2 on both wings. What the heck - the Hasegawa kit does not even have any. The fit of the tailcone is not great - it was apparently removable in real life so maybe it was not too good anyway. Might have a go with some filler.

I will leave it to dry and start again in the morning.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Well that's finished except for a coat of varnish.

DSC05495-crop

Other than the small problems mentioned it has gone together pretty well and it looks good. The markings are those of Captain Kenji Shimada, commander of 1 Chutai, 11 Sentai as of June 1939 during the Nomonhan conflict. He was eventually credited with 27 official kills though I believe he claimed over 40 before he was shot down and killed on September 15th.

And here is a little montage of 1930's low wing monoplane fighters.

DSC05500-crop

On the left is the Boeing P-26 which entered service at the end of 1933 - this is the Revell kit from the 1960's, then comes the I-16 I built a couple of weeks ago, the early versions of which entered service in early 1935, the Mitsubishi A5M I showed you at the start of this build which entered service a couple of years later, and lastly this Ki-27, the Ko version of which arrived in March 1938, so less than 5 years between all four of them. From the first to the last, weight rose from 2197lb to 2447lb empty - not a lot really but Japanese construction was light, and engine power from 500HP to only 650HP, with speed rising from around 234 mph to 292 mph, thought the I-16 with its retractable undercarriage was an exception to the pattern and the later Type 24 as in the above kit weighed 3285lb empty did 304 mph with a 1100 HP engine, though the early versions would have had less power and been slower. One of the reasons Japanese pilots disliked retractable undercarriages seems to have been the extra weight they caused apparently, which they believed was not worth the reduction in drag.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

• PeterB changed the title to Nakajima Ki-27b "Nate" aka "Abdul" - almost there!
  • PeterB changed the title to Nakajima Ki-27b "Nate" aka "Abdul" ***FINISHED***

Well, I am calling that one finished. Here is a family photo with the Ki-43 Oscar that replaced the Ki-27.

DSC05562-crop

This is the Hasegawa kit of the KI-43 Otsu (II) which had a 3 bladed prop, the early Ko versions having a 2 bladed one. It is a bit longer in the fuselage, and although the wingspan is slightly less it had more area and the so called "combat flaps" which made it highly manoeuvrable, but in spite of its retractable undercarriage and more powerful engine it was only slightly faster than the Ki-27 and had the same inadequate armament of two 7.7mm mg.

I enjoyed this build.

Pete

• Like 2

Hi Pete. I am really pleased you enjoyed the build and the result looks superb in the Gallery!! Another fantastic project completed! Well done! :thumbsup:

Thank you for building this one in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1