Tamiya 1/35 Somua S35 - Now with decals 09/09/21

fatfingers

Excellent job on the paint work Steve - really starting to look the part now :thumbsup: 

Those French schemes really were very unique and you're showing this off superbly. I'm still engrossed and awaiting your next steps. What do you think you'll do in relation to weathering as many of the French tanks wouldn't have been particularly battle hardened? 

Kris

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 10:24 PM, planecrazee said:

Excellent job on the paint work Steve - really starting to look the part now :thumbsup: 

Those French schemes really were very unique and you're showing this off superbly. I'm still engrossed and awaiting your next steps. What do you think you'll do in relation to weathering as many of the French tanks wouldn't have been particularly battle hardened? 

Kris

Thanks Kris.

French schemes certainly are colourful. As for the weathering, i think this will be on the light side so as not to spoil the overall colour scheme 😉 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve

I wondered why it's a little quite over on the AFV pages, I keep finding you all in the group builds. I feel I've been missing out on some excellent work.

That's a very nice build and paint job. As mentioned above these French paint schemes make for an interesting subject and Silly Putty certainly makes our lives a little easier.

I shall look forward to seeing how you tackle the weathering stages.

ATB

Wayne

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2021 at 7:14 PM, diablo rsv said:

Hi Steve

I wondered why it's a little quite over on the AFV pages, I keep finding you all in the group builds. I feel I've been missing out on some excellent work.

That's a very nice build and paint job. As mentioned above these French paint schemes make for an interesting subject and Silly Putty certainly makes our lives a little easier.

I shall look forward to seeing how you tackle the weathering stages.

ATB

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. Think i'm going for a lightly weathered tank. The Silly Putty really makes a modellers life easier! 

Had a bit of time on this today. The black stripe on the turret was done with a Sharpie marker and this was a lot easier than trying to brush it on, although there were one or two areas that needed a touch in with a brush and some black paint. All glossed up with Tamia X22 Clear thinned with Self-Levelling Thinner.

p?i=e6e8969d6b9efa131534bc0bff810dd3

Once this had dried i then painted the tracks by brush with Mig Dark Tracks. The sprocked teeth were also picked out with Model Color Oily Steel. The idler rim was also done with this.

p?i=8aaa349088c6838bfc77bf45ab5470cd

The tools, lights and stowage bin straps were then painted in with a mix of Vallejo and Games Workshop paints.

p?i=f376c22d52923f6366811bde416d2c82

p?i=9fab308ea8d67ed097421e27f01f4ba2

Now for the bright and colourful decals. More to follow soon and in the words of Del Trotter.... Bonjour! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 6

Thanks Craig @modelling minion

Well, thats the decals on! The cockade on the cupola needed a couple of nicks with a blade to sit correctly but other than that no issues! 

p?i=a7e8028d6023a2b39da3519e99f7bd19

Another gloss coat needed to seal them in and then its onto the weathering.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 8

• fatfingers changed the title to Tamiya 1/35 Somua S35 - Now with decals 09/09/21
3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very smart Steve, and surprisingly colourful.

Thanks Craig. It makes a nice change from the usual Olive Drab Shermans i generally churn out! 

Regards 

Steve

• Like 1

You are making a cracking job of this Steve - the paint job and then the addition of the decals has really made the model pop and brought it to life. Couldn't agree more that it's so nice to see a tank in something that isn't just olive drab, German grey or dunkelgelb! You've totally inspired me to make a French tank one of my next projects. Like yourself, I also have the Somua and the R35 to choose from and the schemes are so eye-catching with both. Spoiled for choice. Keep up the good work Steve and can't wait for the next instalment :thumbsup:

Kris

• Thanks 1

Cheers Kris @planecrazee the Somua is a cracking kit and i've also got the R35 but the paint scheme's scare me! 

Made a start on the weathering following a further coat of gloss to seal the decals. The engine grill and bolt heads etc have been done with Mig Dark Wash. Can't really see it in the pic, but its there.

p?i=8c0132d7994f8ce147acf40a73519f0a

I've also painted and weathered the exhaust. Wasn't overly happy with the mig wash so have gone over it again with GW Agrax Earthshade and it looks better. 

Still more weathering to do so will update when i can.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 5

Steve, this looks great. I never looked at French tanks until recently, I never saw the appeal, but I think I know what I'll be buying soon...

(hey, I've got a Hotchkiss and a Renault, may as well finish the set!)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve. Hope you are keeping well. Last time seen this was looking awesome! Very impressive build and painting. I'm looking forward to seeing more progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2021 at 07:36, Ned said:

Steve, this looks great. I never looked at French tanks until recently, I never saw the appeal, but I think I know what I'll be buying soon...

(hey, I've got a Hotchkiss and a Renault, may as well finish the set!)

...I resisted for almost a month, but there was never really any doubt. Looking forward to those tracks - do they really just click together? We shall see...