Revell 1/700 Type 42 HMS Manchester

On 23/01/2022 at 01:51, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Thanks for the good tip on the tape, CA and brass rod. Shall remember that one for future!

David

Not a problem mate! It's what this site is about, isn't it? 😀

Cheers

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on small details, and a bit of major surgery too. 

I was humming along quite happily with the adjustment to the bridge windows when I thought I'd get serious and see just what the overall fit would be. It's an awkward bit of model engineering, connecting the bridge superstructure to the deck below it. I don't know whether it was because of my mucking around with the bridge, but the aft section (which has the air intake for the turbines), when pressed down, would raise inadvertently raise the deck hosting the stack and masts behind it. 

I made my conclusion that the thing I needed to do was to make a "hole" where the air intake butted onto the decking below it. I've outlined it in pencil.

spacer.png

And sans slot.

spacer.png

The fit was pretty good afterward, and that made the grind abit easier to take. 

The small stuff included the anchors, the chain and well for said anchor, and I in the end added a blast bag for the gun. There's also the case of the missile launcher, and I'm in the middle of building a slightly smaller version. The kit provided looked too out of scale to my eyes that I couldn't leave it alone.

spacer.png

As usual, I mixed up about 1000% more two part putty than I needed....

spacer.png 

spacer.png

Like everything PE, that chain took abit of "fiddle" in order to get it curled around the capstan, and into the chain well. It'll do for my first experience with the stuff.

spacer.png

A careful sand and the reshaped anchor well will be on the way!

spacer.png

I added some "wings" to the shield facing outboard. These were placed to house a 5.56mm minigun I think. I found some quite clear pics on the "2ndmanchester" website (dedicated to the T42 destroyer). There's also a box I need to add which I assume is for the associated bits that the weapon would need stored close by. 

spacer.png

And fitted. *I notice I've knocked off a "box" on the port side. I suppose I'll have to make another.....

Thanks for looking - and catchya next time.

Gaz

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2022 at 23:27, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Gaz, That's a nice bit of ship surgery and plastic bashing. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff! I'm abit scattered at the moment and I should have foreseen that lowering one section of the kit would mean I'd have to make it up elsewhere! Ya live and learn!!

Not sure about an update anytime soon - I've been pretty busy with real life of late.  I'd been deciding on whether to get the airbrush out of cobwebs when I suddenly remembered that the quarter deck railings need to be fitted first before I attach the helo deck to the hull proper, with all the attendant puttying and sanding. Its taken longer than I expected, but I'm loving it!

Cheers

Gary  

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 6:59 AM, agyoung33 said:

spacer.png

Oh yeah, before I forget, I finally found some detail pics of those black rectangles that you see on the bridge wings facing forwards. They look to be wells housing signal equipment (a guess).

They’re the port & starboard navigation lights.

Nice job with the Manc

• Like 1

Some really beautiful fine detail going into this. The oil canning technique looks interesting. I've never seen it done in 1/700, but it looks like you might make it work, I hope so!

Watching with interest.

Terry

• Like 1

On 14/02/2022 at 21:50, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

They’re the port & starboard navigation lights.

Nice job with the Manc

Thanks man!

On 15/02/2022 at 02:31, Terry1954 said:

Some really beautiful fine detail going into this. The oil canning technique looks interesting. I've never seen it done in 1/700, but it looks like you might make it work, I hope so!

Watching with interest.

Terry

Thanks Terry - very nice of you to say so - boats are not my thing but I'm getting into it! 

Yeah, I'm very invested in how the oil canning will come out myself. It's in my head, and will involve oil paints I think. Those fine grain, very smooth blending, cheap "artists" oil stuff from down the local office supplies. Ofcourse I'm about a million miles away (or feels like) from getting to the paint at the moment. Must be patient! 

Cheers

Gaz

Almost back to a regular time for my build, but it seems as if those small ideas I have for "tinkering" add up exponentially time wise, but we press on!

I've fitted the rails onto the quarter deck after much thought and it came out much quicker than I anticipated. I'm still accidentally bending the brass out of shape with careless fingers, but I've come to the point where I can bend it back to almost its original shape. Still bloody annoying, but at least I now reuse the offending brass rather than binning it. A misplaced cut also meant that one end of the brass rail was left weakened. I decided to vertically reinforce with a tiny bit of rail and CA

spacer.png 

The "wobbles" are getting better, and the straight looks "straighter"! I'll take it as a small victory and continue - the methodology is developing at last!

The next piece was to finish the Sea Dart launcher that I'd started the last time. It came out pretty well I think; the time it took was about what I'd expect out of something this small.

spacer.png

Admittedly I could've saved myself some time if I'd actually remembered where I kept the kit launcher (long since disappeared!!!)

spacer.png

While I was at it, I thought I'd give a go at making some replacement cable reels, and a tongue for the anchor.

spacer.png

I'm now in a quandary as to closing up the fantail/quarter deck space. Do I break out the airbrush for such a small job or would it be better to use a brush seeing as that part of the kit is going to be very dark anyway. I'm leaning towards the latter. 

Okay, that's about it, thanks for looking in! 

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 3