Colours of Vildebeest MkIII in Singapore ???

Sosezi

Lads, I'm very confused since i have Special Hobby and Azur Frrom Beests and those are actually the same kit 

but Frrom release shows dark blue/gray green camo while SH Release shows it in DG/DE/Sky 

so where's the truth? same decals and same variants from Seletar airbase. 

Looking for Help

Cheers!

Edited by Sosezi
sentence error

But a quick answer/summary first: the Tropical Sea Scheme was applied experimentally before the war on a handful (possibly one) aircraft.  Further planned trials were abandoned at the outbreak of the war.  The appearance of the squadron's camouflaged aircraft in b&w matches the authorised Dark Green and Dark Earth, the latter being considerably faded.  With Light Green and Light Earth shadow shading. The undersides could have been Aluminium or Night depending upon the intended use: there was a fairly easily removable black distemper which could have been used rather than permanent Night paint.

• Like 1

well, silver is in my plans but still want to make one in camo 

Thank you All for the answers!! 

So in a nutshell they were standard RAF camouflage birds and the one (possibly coded OJ-E) as box art shows was repainted 

Okay! will figure it out :) 

Cheers!

40 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

And the long answer is here. You will probably end up doing yours in Dark Earth/Dark Green/Night unless you are the sort of guy who likes "something different, even if it turns out to be crap".

"something different, even if it turns out to be crap" well, never thought it would be a crap because these camo schemes already looks good to me

the problem is WHICH A/C had particular camo (blue/green) NK K or OE J ~ or perhaps both of them were repainted? 

we will never know that though.....

4 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

If that is your criterion, it will look excellent!

haha let's see how it goes.... 

wondering about colours close to this ~ but Already Imagined this "Piston Engined Poisonous Fruit" 

maybe Japanese were shocked seeing those for the 1st time 😂

p.s Oh you're from Red Roo? ordered your decals for Battle TT long ago :) 

off topic but heh memories!

Edited by Sosezi
more information added

9 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Probably neither, as the trials predated the use of those codes.  Whether they predated the Munich period codes I don't know.

so Azur box art is absolute fiction I assume?

Except the camouflage there two more issues you must be aware of:

1. The rear cockpit is wrong in all Azur Frrom/SH kits but the Spanish ones. The Scarff ring is applicable only for the early Mk.I/Mk.II Vildebeest versions. From Mk.III up, including the Vincents, the rear cockpit was equipped with Fairey High Speed mount, which requires altering the rear cockpit shape. See e.g. here:

2. The resin engine in the first  Azur Frrom Mk.III boxing is wrong. They provided (in my opinion) a Mercury instead of Pegasus. Now the references say the diameter of Pegasus is 55.3". The engine in the kit is just 46.5", which is some 3 mm in 1:72, too much to ignore, I guess. I cannot speak about the SH boxing, as I do not have it, but the Vincent boxings include two engines, one Mercury and one Pegasus. The new engine is still not perfect, 51", still 1.5 mm in diameter, but for sure better, though it will require altering all the exhaust piping.

Of course completely your choice, if you accept the kit as it is, or do the corrections.

• Like 2