Modelling podcasts

pacificmustang

Anyone else tuning in to the growing number of scale modelling podcasts out there ?  If so, what  are your favourites ? . I’ve been listening to a few whilst at the bench over the last year. The plastic Posse Podcast is starting to become a firm favourite of mine.

I love their attitude to the hobby, and they have had  some excellent interviews with Nightshift, Brett Green, Spencer and Chris Meddings . They also realise a lot of modellers these days are entering the hobby through war hammer and gundam 

Sprue Cutters Union has an interview coming up with David Parker soon, which should be quite interesting .

There’s enough differences between the various pods now to cater to whatever genre you happen to be into, and I’ve tracked down a heap of interesting blogs and YouTube’s from modellers I never knew existed. .  

Bruce 

Edited by pacificmustang
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

I listen to a few. My regular ones are Plastic Posse Podcast and On The Bench. Occasionally dip in to some others if the topic for discussion interests me.

Same here 

• 3 months later...
On 7/26/2021 at 7:11 PM, Stephen said:

I enjoy The Interesting Modelling Company it's on Sunday and Wednesday nights at 1930BST on Facebook. , I don’t tune into them as much as I used to.

I’ve dropped off viewing them, what with their continuing tech problems

There is so much high quality content out there now, both pod and YouTube, I have become quite fussy and stuff recorded on phones no longer cuts it, I’m afraid. FB is a really poor platform for this sort of stuff. I see they have another Festival planned, the concept is great, but last  years one was of very varying quality. There was a Quinta demo which was basically useless as it was too dark to make anything out. Jen Wrights foil demo and Ivan Taylor’s OPR demo were  excellent though. I’m still rating PPP as my favourite. I really find their enthusiasm and enjoyment  of the hobby infectious.

Bruce 

Edited by pacificmustang
  • Like 2

I've been listening to The ModelGeeks podcast since episode 1... definitely enjoy it. 

Also, while not a "scale modeling" podcast, but tangentially connected, one of my absolute favorites is of course the Fighter Pilot Podcast and it's associated shows (Tomcast FTW).

Edited by RaceAddict
  • Like 1

The Sprue Cutters' Union has already become my favourite (mostly) because it's most closely aligned with my approach to the hobby, or any creative endeavour for that matter. I've always been a fan of Will Pattison via his YT channel, although he can sometimes be a little too... forthright, let's say. They like to punch a few modelling unicorns (which certainly need punching) and they have no time for old-fashioned dogma. Although they did wind me up a bit recently by casually perpetuating some inaccurate dogma of their own choosing.

I can't help but like the Melbourne lot from On the Bench. Especially Dave, with his battles with English, and the rumours from "The Falcon". I just wish that they would ditch that awful rock music...

The Plastic Posse Podcast has grown on me as I've got to know it. It's very American in style (Yeeehaaa!), but they take an intelligent and mature approach to all topics, especially mental health. As long as the guest interviewee is interesting, it's a very good listen. One of their team, TJ, is an excellent armour modeller who sometimes shows his work here.

And I must give a mention to Malcom (of Models for Heroes) and his pal James on Just Making Conversation. It's a little gem of a show with some brilliant, quirky humour from a great double act. It's almost the antithesis of the Sprue Cutters' Union, but that's part of its charm.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RaceAddict said:

I've been listening to The ModelGeeks podcast since episode 1... definitely enjoy it. 

Also, while not a "scale modeling" podcast, but tangentially connected, one of my absolute favorites is of course the Fighter Pilot Podcast and it's associated shows (Tomcast FTW).

Yep, big fan of Jello and the FPP here too 

I love the specific aircraft eps, the F117 one was a standout for me 

14 hours ago, Ade H said:

The Sprue Cutters' Union has already become my favourite (mostly) because it's most closely aligned with my approach to the hobby, or any creative endeavour for that matter. I've always been a fan of Will Pattison via his YT channel, although he can sometimes be a little too... forthright, let's say. They like to punch a few modelling unicorns (which certainly need punching) and they have no time for old-fashioned dogma. Although they did wind me up a bit recently by casually perpetuating some inaccurate dogma of their own choosing.

I can't help but like the Melbourne lot from On the Bench. Especially Dave, with his battles with English, and the rumours from "The Falcon". I just wish that they would ditch that awful rock music...

The Plastic Posse Podcast has grown on me as I've got to know it. It's very American in style (Yeeehaaa!), but they take an intelligent and mature approach to all topics, especially mental health. As long as the guest interviewee is interesting, it's a very good listen. One of their team, TJ, is an excellent armour modeller who sometimes shows his work here.

And I must give a mention to Malcom (of Models for Heroes) and his pal James on Just Making Conversation. It's a little gem of a show with some brilliant, quirky humour from a great double act. It's almost the antithesis of the Sprue Cutters' Union, but that's part of its charm.

I Find the OTB crowd a little narrow in their knowledge of the hobby here in Australia, but enjoy their discussions about the hobby. I just wish they would interview a few more local modellers  and I also enjoy the SCU, although they discuss the hobby at a far deeper level than I enjoy it at, but that’s OK.
I’m going to have a listen to JMC based on your recommendation as we seen to enjoy similar podcasts 

Bruce 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Picking up a slightly old thread - but I think it’s worthwhile as I have found huge entertainment as well as tutelage from a number of the podcasts out there. The ones I have tried (in no particular order) 

The ModelGeeks 🇺🇸 

A bunch of US Navy guys, who offer a real mix of personalities and lots of experience - focus on air mainly and they LOVE Gunze !!

Plastic Model Mojo 🇺🇸 

A lawyer and a Research scientist get together to talk modelling. Mix of Armour and 1/72 air. They love their beer and bourbon and are VERY chilled. If I had to pick a favourite right now , this would be it !

Scale Model Podcast 🇨🇦 

Canadian production with a big varied cast with lots of different interests. Good coverage of new kits and products.

Just Making Conversation 🇬🇧 
Immature, boyish and genuine.

Very chilled and offers a different approach. A couple of good friends shooting the breeze about their favourite hobby!

On The Bench 🇦🇺 

Lots of experience, lots of banter, and can be very entertaining. Have found it a little brash on occasion (I personally found their episode on how the Ukranian conflict was affecting hobbyists, although well intended I’m sure, a little brash) But in the main a worthy listen.

Those are the examples I have tried, but also - Sprue cutters Union and the Plastic Posse Podcast come highly recommended elsewhere. 

whichever one you try, they are great for a commute (that’s 2 hours a day for me !!) or for ‘bench time companions’ and have really helped to suck me back in to the hobby (as well as drain my wallet on new tools !!!!)

• Like 1