1/350 Bismarck Mast Upgrade

S-boat 55

Hi collective wisdom of the britmodelling community, can I impose on you all a second,

In the stash I have revells bismarck kit with eduard and lion roar detail sets to boot, before making a start I want to make sure I have everything/anything else I'm likely to want. It'll be my first venture in going all out on a kit so I've been looking for a metal mast upgrade set, there appears  generic on on eBay for a reasonable price I guess from China, 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-350-Scale-Bismarck-Mast-Upgrade-Set-CYG012-/153209067147?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Anyone used something like this/have a view or any other recommendations I'd be grateful to hear opinions,

Thanks

Sam

Hiyo Sam,

I always refer to scalemates.com to see what extras I can get with a kit (nb, scrolling down on a kit specific page doesnt always list all the possible parts you can use, so maybe best also do a 1/350 bismarck search).

Theres also wood decks, metal barrels and various lockers, radar sets, resin aa mounts, loudspeakers etc as upgrades (although whether you want /need to get all these I dont know as I dont have revell kit to compare against). I've also yet to find some 1/350 planes and ship's Boats for my academy bismarck so let me know, but they generally arent of the best detail but are large items that look great when upgraded.

David

• Thanks 1

Hi David, 

Thansm for the reply, that's a goodnidea I'll have a look, 

Re the planes and boats, not found boats as of yet but I think the etch sets I have should bring them up nicely, plane wise best I've found is trumpeters arado 196's which at least have recessed panel lines compared to revells, she carried four and I was going to be self indulgent and have all three hanger doors open either half or full

Hi Sam

In your quest for maritime photo etched and scale aircraft etc. It may be worth a look at the French site L'arsenal. They normally have a stand at IPMS ScaleModelworld show at Telford each year and have lots of PE for period warships and I think they have little aircraft for ship modellers too.

Also have a look at Scale Warship's site if you have not done so already. Not sure if they have much in the way of WW2, but worth checking out.

I don't know if Hannants of Lowestoft also might be worth a look as they carry lots of other stuff besides their predominately aircraft and AFV lines.

Revell's big Bismark should look very impressive with all the goodies added to it you are looking for.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Hi Sam

In your quest for maritime photo etched and scale aircraft etc. It may be worth a look at the French site L'arsenal. They normally have a stand at IPMS ScaleModelworld show at Telford each year and have lots of PE for period warships and I think they have little aircraft for ship modellers too.

Also have a look at Scale Warship's site if you have not done so already. Not sure if they have much in the way of WW2, but worth checking out.

I don't know if Hannants of Lowestoft also might be worth a look as they carry lots of other stuff besides their predominately aircraft and AFV lines.

Revell's big Bismark should look very impressive with all the goodies added to it you are looking for.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about l'arsenal, I'm guessing the show at Telford isn't on this year which is a blighter but I'll look at their site

• 2 weeks later...

Sam with a bit of luck Telford may be back on this year. Keep checking out the IPMS UK website.

L'Arsenal may be able to do mail order if they do what you are looking for.

I have also thought about another company that does photo etched ships rails etc. They are named ABER.

• Thanks 1