McLaren F1 GTR #21R Helsinki thunder '97

This was "commissioned" work from a friend. He is extremely passionate about McLaren F1 and didn't yet have a model of F1 that won the inaugural Helsinki thunder 3h endurance race so he turned for me. We decided that Aoshima's model for long tail test version was the best place to start modifications. I bought the kit, two carbon fibre decal sets and three different race decal sets from which I combined chassis #21R that won in Helsinki. Inner monocoque consists about 50 parts and 120 carbon fibre decals, outside about the in parts but a lot more decals. As the Helsinki race was a relatively short and tight track, it had a unique aero pack that I had to made from scratch. This includes front canards, rear wing, rear aero diffuser and such.

If the history behind McLaren F1 or GT1 racing is in your interests I highly suggest you check out Sami Aaltonen's (the man who ordered this build) webpage with pictures from the actual chassis #21R car as it is today and history behind it:

https://samiaal.kuvat.fi/kuvat/1995-1997+McLaren+F1+GTR/MCLAREN+F1+GTR+-+ENGLISH/1997+MCLAREN+F1+GTR+LONGTAIL/CHASSIS+21R/

The whole project for this chassis took about 600...700 hours if all the research and reference digging is included and it took about three years to complete. BMW S70/2 engine from this model kit was built separately before this car and combined it has taken about 1000 hours to finish. When I say it out aloud I think the quality isn't anywhere near where it should be but as long as the customer is happy, I'm happy.

And if any questions arise, feel free to post them, I'll answer as well as I can.

y4mrAiUpg5gpHChodOvS7jTtWIG6WWC6MLluvEyx

y4mdV_XNKw7zkFZIxhtUk7FHEF28oFaYavlV8P_v

y4mpxRt7kdT0Cdet7bG5RFFTMs_G8HXNokCDcgPY

y4mkU5o8JhwVZgCiMBNMN2GyyNUEesxi4diymZMJ

y4mVD_Xudh_xFDDoY5CkNAes5wZeCt29Wp0ljrR8

y4mrOYssPfwAOi6Cb3s5-6_IgmMh2HQFGeZcItMP

y4m2XBKO9_-MdQbi-8VQZ-P_ir6Z_U9-Tx9DmaNN

y4mxXjt-LZ4mGOSMPH6Z8ZJ74qHrrSLieKGQ5rho

y4myOtRRerWyZDmsx-qgL3kletBE_qnOyjD8Q1V4

y4mA1Y7s9PsXtcWUmp6PDOHrYui7YyE4wlm1qUTo

y4mrsesjzftdSUvPGZAnUaLyK1DbBvEAaKN3U1vo

y4mJ1eXaY70eRxVgSR6VBvHMJFUx3AKXkif65F5I

y4mD8dnjmoFBdf4anW6EefbRAi6yXA0LkEh2r6rr

• Like 23

My main question is how did you spend 1000 hours on it and keep your sanity! ;)

More seriously, the result is excellent with so much detail - you might think it should have been better but I think it's one you can be proud of.

On 23/07/2021 at 23:41, Spiny said:

My main question is how did you spend 1000 hours on it and keep your sanity! ;)

More seriously, the result is excellent with so much detail - you might think it should have been better but I think it's one you can be proud of.

For one that 1000 hours which includes the engine, span out from 2016 till the very end of 2020. Secondly this wasn't only kit I built during those years. I'll be honest sometimes this did require forcing myself to build just to get forward. When I didn't feel like I would achieve the level I required from this I put it away and built something else. But still, looking back this took "a bit" longer than it should have taken.

What I meant by saying this should have been better is compared to those hours used. A normal model for me usually takes about 100 hours and I'd say those achieve 80% of the detail this has. So putting 500 hours more should be more visible than it actually is.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...