HMS Dreadnought, 1:700, Trumpeter

Greetings!

WIP of this build can be found in the appropriate forum, if someone's interested.

Finally finished this piece by Trumpeter. It's my second battleship in this small scale, so very much still a learning experience.

The kit was reasonable, I guess. Cheap, and OK detail, some moulding errors though. Some PE was included, but no railings, so I used some generic ones by Lionroar. Torpedo net booms were also replaced with scratch-built ones. Overall, not as nice kit as the Fujimi's Nagato which I did last time, but manageable.

The building process was a bit rocky. Still have trouble figuring out in which order to build and paint things. Overall this build took around six months, although I only have access to my modeling workshop during weekends.

I used Tamiya acrylics for painting and clearing. Weathering is Tamiya liners and oil paints. Rigging is Uschi's stuff.

I should mention I didn't really look at any references all that much, so historical errors are certainly present.

Overall, I'm just happy that she's finally finished. I had some trouble staying motivated with this build, and I think I'll need to take a short break from ship models to maintain my sanity. I'll probably make a short return to my comfort zone of american car models for now, but don't worry, recently bought Hasegawa's 1:350 Yahagi is already waiting in the stash as well.

Any comments, criticism or tips are very much welcome!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Oh and yes, proper base is in the works. I had Trumpeter display case planned for this, but the bugger is so tall with that mast it won't fit.

• Like 20

Gidday Liizio, I would be VERY happy with a model like this, you have done a terrific job of the ship. I think loss of motivation affects most of us from time to time, me certainly, but you've completed her anyway. She's very well done. And I'm looking forward to seeing you IJN Yahagi (a ship I want to do in 1/600), although I can understand you leaving her for a while.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

I've been watching the 'work in progress' thread with interest and now I can see the model in full glory! Very well done!

Before weathering it looked a bit flat, but now it's great and realistic!

• Like 1

Many thanks for your kind words!

Yep, It'll be a while before I start on the Yahagi, I want to build something simpler and faster next. I've been looking at this model for a while, and decided two points I want to improve on my next ship:

-Secondary guns. Those just look way too unrefined and blocky. Maybe I need to get aftermarket ones if plastic ones turn out like this.

-There's a lot of visible wooden deck, and it looks way too uniform. This can probably be made better in the weathering stages with some oil paints.

That is a little diamond of a model. Railings! At that scale? Astonishing.

[Maybe that's a gigantic pot of paint...]

I agree that the smaller guns are chunky and when I think of how neatly you did the railings, you could probably improve them somehow. I think the deck is fine though. We are seeing it from a very long way off, in scale.

Edited by Bertie Psmith
  • Like 1