La-15 Fantail | Mars Models 1:48

The Mig-15 looks like a thick pumpkin next to the La-15. That's why I already have the La-15, but not the MiG-15 yet.

The model, according to the Mars Models instructions, represents the first serial La-15. I hope it actually has ever looked like this one because, as I realized after applying the decals, the photos prove otherwise. However, I did not want to go back into the construction process.

The construction ran almost without problems until it turned out that the cockpit and air intakes to the engine did not fit into the fuselage. The diameter of the front and rear part of the fuselage after pressing in the cockpit also differed quite significantly. Somehow these problems were managed by the strength and persuasion of the file. Besides these issues - a pure pleasure: nice details, the set includes photo-etched details and masks.

Painting - MRP in the interior; for the rest, I used mainly AK Extreme Metal. Dark gray wash from Modellers World. The gun barrels are made of the AK brass tube.

I hope you like it :)

Hubert

9G5Uqz.jpg

pZU8Hs.jpg

gLy5co.jpg

n5Bij2.jpg

Peg1oL.jpg

81SXJN.jpg

vce4gJ.jpg

tAsFjI.jpg

TjFyIv.jpg

CT79Xd.jpg

3fjBV6.jpg

nfEl7U.jpg

• Like 48

Beautiful rendition! I’ve read that a squadron of these jets made it to Korea but were immediately withdrawn due to airfield conditions. 

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

Beautiful rendition! I’ve read that a squadron of these jets made it to Korea but were immediately withdrawn due to airfield conditions. 

There were CIA reports about a "Type 15"indeed, but it is really hard to tell. If they were used, probably we talk about a few machines. Russian archives don't mention that.

The truth is that after the end of production in favour of the Mig-15, these machines were transferred to the country's air defense forces , so there was no point in testing it in battle.  Although it is known that they were better than the Migs.

Thanks Mates!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hubert said:

Although it is known that they were better than the Migs.

Thanks Mates!

Really?  Despite the much less powerful engine?  Compared to the MiG.9, yes.  The later developments with the more powerful engine might have been better than the Mig.15 but I don't think that it was ever proven.

And as often shown, it doesn't matter how good you are if you are too late and the opposition is good enough..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Really?  Despite the much less powerful engine?  Compared to the MiG.9, yes.  The later developments with the more powerful engine might have been better than the Mig.15 but I don't think that it was ever proven.

And as often shown, it doesn't matter how good you are if you are too late and the opposition is good enough..

In terms of maximum speed, the MiG-15 and La-174 turned out to be practically equal. The maximum speed of the MiG-15 was 1042 km / h at an altitude of 2620 m. La-174 - 1040 km / h at an altitude of 3000 m. In terms of the rate of climb, the MiG-15, due to a slightly higher thrust to weight ratio, showed higher performance, than La-174: 5000m climb time was 2.3 minutes compared to 3 minutes. But horizontal maneuverability, acceleration and braking performance turned out to be better with the latter. Thanks to good aerodynamics, the La-174 / La-15 outperformed the MiG-15 in terms of stability and controllability, especially at high speeds. The MiG-15 indeed had more powerful engine, was cheaper and easier to manufacture, so all in all good enough is fair to say. The rest was politics and Stalin's personal preferences and prejudices.

Thanks for comment!

Best regards,

Hubert

On 7/22/2021 at 2:58 PM, Hubert said:

There were CIA reports about a "Type 15"indeed, but it is really hard to tell. If they were used, probably we talk about a few machines. Russian archives don't mention that.

The truth is that after the end of production in favour of the Mig-15, these machines were transferred to the country's air defense forces , so there was no point in testing it in battle.  Although it is known that they were better than the Migs.

Thanks Mates!

Right but there were reports of a La-15 squadron in Manchuria. I think I recall that their stay was short and they saw limited action. There were also reports of “Migs with shoulder mounted wings” in mission reports by UN airmen. 

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Like 1

Very nice model of this early jet!

Did not know it was operational!

really looks like a MiG-15 with shoulder mounted wing in flight!

It does look bigger though...

• Like 1

It's actually quite small....

spacer.png

It was the last production fighter from Lavochkin - before the OKB was switched to building missiles.

There's an interresting parallel between Lavochkin and Supermarine - both had very successful wartime fighters (La-5FN and Spitfire) - after which they produced a series of mediocre jets (La-74, La-200 etc and Attacker, Swift and Scimitar).

Great model Hubert - really captures the look of the La-15... :worthy:

Ken

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Hubert said:

That's true, this is how it looks next to the Sabre:

Wow, thanks!

You do not have by chance a MiG-15 as well, no?

I guess I need one I those! Hope they are still encounterable ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hubert said:

It seems to be available in both scales, I have purchased my kit there:

http://marsmodels.eu/catalog/?q=la-15&how=r

thanks, are they located in the EU with this website?

any ideas?

looks like Russia to me... or Ukraine..

wonder how that works regarding customs currently...

I sent them a mail, lets see!

thanks!