Interflug Ilyushin IL-62M in 1/144

Ilyushin IL-62 is probably one of the most successful Soviet built intercontinental airliners. The plane carried max. 186 passengers to a max. distance of 10.000 km. Its maiden flight took place in January 1963 and a total of 292 planes were built during the years. Its main operator were Aeroflot and it was also the biggest plane used by Interflug, the East German state airline. The company operated a total of 24 planes. IL-62 was also widely used by many other Soviet block airlines.

Ilyushin IL-62's were in use until the early 2000 but because of stricter noise regulations and new and more economical plane types they went almost totally out of commercial traffic. The only airline still using the plane for domestic tourist flights are Air Koryo of North Korea.

I built the Interflug IL-62M from a Zvezda 1/144 kit with BOA decals I ordered from the web. I also used a photoetch set from Extratech. The Zvezda kit was of very high quality, very detailed and its fit was excellent.

I primed the fuselage with white Tamiya Fine Surface primer which I then sprayed with Tamiya rattle can gloss varnish. The lower part of the fuselage, the wings and stabs were painted with Xtracolor X137 light gull grey. For the smaller details, wheels, lights, etc. I used Humbrol enamels and Vallejo acrylics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Einar
  • Like 34

Nice. A very strange rear wheel arrangement on that aircraft. It must have made landing tricky...

Cheers,

Tom

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Winenut said:

Really great looking version 

Well done

I cant imagine how you managed the windscreen wipers in that scale!

Thanks!

It' a little miracle I managed to set them there🤣

13 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful Ilyushin Il-62!

Saluti

Giampiero

Grazie mille Giampiero

Einar

14 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Man I love seeing builds that look this good in this small of a scale. WOW!!! Very nice indeed.

Thanks a lot!

Einar

14 hours ago, Tomjw said:

Nice. A very strange rear wheel arrangement on that aircraft. It must have made landing tricky...

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom,

The rear support wheel was employed when the plane was parked. It prevented the aircraft from tilting backwards because of the heavy tail.

Cheers,

Einar

• Like 2

What a lovely finish that is. Having recently done one of these it is nice to see another completed and also confirming the quality of the fit!

Ray

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray S said:

What a lovely finish that is. Having recently done one of these it is nice to see another completed and also confirming the quality of the fit!

Ray

Thanks Ray!

Einar

Just now, Einar said:

Thanks Ray!

Einar

1 minute ago, Greg B said:

No images are available, all I get is blue boxes with imaggebb.com - image not found

I really do not know what has happened. I have to check. I'm very sorry

Einar

13 minutes ago, Einar said:

I really do not know what has happened. I have to check. I'm very sorry

Einar

Not your fault, you would have either moved its containing folder or the image host has done the same. ;)

10 minutes ago, Greg B said:

Not your fault, you would have either moved its containing folder or the image host has done the same. ;)

Ok, thanks Greg. I have to check what has happened!

Einar