Benz Bz.III and Bz.IIIa Flugzeugmotor

ColonelKrypton

Anyone have a link or pointer to some good pictures, images, or drawings of the Benz III or IIIa 150 ps  ( hp ) aeroplane engine?

I can usually get Google to cooperate and help find some of these things but today it is letting me down.  I am finding some information like on Wikipedia, the Wing Nuts Wings website, the scanned manual on the Czech museum web site, and some pictures of well made 1/32 Wing Nut Wings engines.  

There is plenty to be found on the Mercedes D.xxx series ( i.e. D.II and D.III engines ) but there seems to be not so much on the Benz engines. Not surprisingly I do find some mislabeled pictures of Benz III and IIIa engines as Mercedes and vice versa.

cheers, Graham

Try any photos of the WW1 German planes at the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow - the Albatros C.I has a 150 HP Bz.III, a 185 HP Bz.IIIa powers the LFG Roland D. VIb and a 225 HP Bz.IV is fitted to the DFW C.V. Certainly, these are Benz engines, with block-mounted camshafts operating the overhead valves via long vertical pushrods.

Cheers

Michael

You mentioned wingnutwings - did you check theirinstructions and photo collections for the Hansa-Brandenburg W29 and Roland D.VIb (BzIII and BzIIIa respectively)? They have some nice photos as well as kit renders good enough to create a detailed model. 

Edited by Torbjorn

I did indeed check the Wingnut Wings instructions. I always do. For now, as long it is still accessible, the Wingnut Wings web site is one of my first stops when looking for references.

Speaking of Wingnut Wings, I wonder how long their web site will still be "live"? It would be a shame to loose such a nice reference.

cheers, Graham