Using Klear / Future / Quickshine

Herrick

I have finally got some Quickshine and intend to use it first on my P-51D build which has suffered dreadfully while being handled, despite the precautions I take. The current situation is that has been airbrushed with Vallejo Aluminum and has decals applied to one side. I want to protect the painted finish which still seems very soft despite it being sprayed weeks ago and I also want to protect the decals.

I have seen that people use one of the above and my question is quite simple. How do you use it?

I have reference to using it neat, dilute with water 50/50 and 60/40 and also that a drop of washing up liquid helps.

What works for you?

Just about everyone has their favourite way

I use 'Astonish' which is just another trade name version

I use it neat, no thinning, no additives

I don't spray. I use a wide flat brush, about 10 to 12mm wide, to brush it on. I apply a lot, then as I spread it over the surface I'm actually taking some off, rather than having to dip the brush to get more

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I don't spay. I use a wide flat brush, about 10 to 12mm wide, to brush it on. I apply a lot, then as I spread it over the surface I'm actually taking some off, rather than having to dip the brush to get more

I thought about brushing as I'm a bit concerned about gooing up the airbrush!

18 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I don't spay. I use a wide flat brush, about 10 to 12mm wide, to brush it on. I apply a lot, then as I spread it over the surface I'm actually taking some off, rather than having to dip the brush to get more

I used a brush. I think the result is a little thick in a couple of places but no sign of brush strokes on drying. No doubt my technique will improve with time!

Thanks for your response.

2 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

If yours went on a 'little thick' your version might need thinning with some water for my 'Astonish' is as thin as water

The Quickshine is thicker than that. I'm doing some today so I'll try watering it down and see what the result is. I must say that a little went an awful long way.

2 hours ago, Herrick said:

The Quickshine is thicker than that. I'm doing some today so I'll try watering it down and see what the result is. I must say that a little went an awful long way.

A model aircraft is a lot smaller than most kitchen floors 🤔

• Haha 1

Ah I just see this topic popping up , I found Pledge Clean it in my shop... And I tried a few shops haha..is it okay or does it need to be Pledge revive it? I live in Belgium.. sorry to steal your post... 😌 I just put it on with a flat brush without thinning it... I had a bottle of something, I think parket plus or something but can't find that either... Lol 😆 and I found a bottle online but it doesn't come cheap 🤔

13 minutes ago, fatalsky said:

Ah I just see this topic popping up , I found Pledge Clean it in my shop... And I tried a few shops haha..is it okay or does it need to be Pledge revive it? I live in Belgium.. sorry to steal your post... 😌 I just put it on with a flat brush without thinning it... I had a bottle of something, I think parket plus or something but can't find that either... Lol 😆 and I found a bottle online but it doesn't come cheap 🤔

Don't worry about hijacking, the thread is really about using a polish to protect your work. Unusually, this thread has been very quiet in response to my question. In response to yours, I get the impression that as long as the product is designed to dry to a hard clear shine, then it should be ok. I guess another question could be about whether the product reacts to anything else applied afterwards.

The ad for Pledge Clean It in the UK makes it sound more like a cleaner than a hard drying polish.

I've tried the Quickshine and it works well, dries clear and hard. Whether there are any problems wrt applying coats over it I've yet to find out. It costs £16 for a 800ml bottle in the UK.

1 hour ago, Herrick said:

I guess another question could be about whether the product reacts to anything else applied afterwards.

Yes, no problem with enamel or water based acrylic paints but you may have problems with Tamiya acrylic which is alcohol based. Alcohol being one of the things that will remove 'Kleer' - aka all other names

Also you can get a reaction with Micro-Sol and Micro-Set

2 hours ago, Herrick said:

I've tried the Quickshine and it works well, dries clear and hard. Whether there are any problems wrt applying coats over it I've yet to find out. It costs £16 for a 800ml bottle in the UK.

blimey, thats expensive!   :o

I get Astonish in Home Bargains at about £1 for 750ml or so

7 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I get Astonish in Home Bargains at about £1 for 750ml or so

Ouch! I shall remember that in the 50 or so years from now when I’ve finished the Quickshine!

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late to the party on this, but I suppose hunting for information rather than taking the lazy option of starting my own thread has paid off here!  I've just bought some Pledge (which I'm assured is Klear by any other moniker) and was wondering about thinning and airbrushing it, but perhaps I don't need to do that.  As a matter of interest, though, can it be done?

I’ve never tried because Quickshine brushes on easily and dries to a lovely shine with no brushmarks. But I believe it can be done. Not sure about the thinning and be careful to clean your airbrush thoroughly because it dries fast and it difficult to budgr

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

was wondering about thinning and airbrushing it

I used to do this but switched to brush painting it on as it is far easier and quicker - you don't have to clean the airbrush. As it is transparent I found it tricky to see it when cleaning.

However to airbrush I used to add a couple of squirts of Windowlene - the blue window cleaner - which I believe is ammonia based and that worked fine. 

Mark

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Herrick said:

I’ve never tried because Quickshine brushes on easily and dries to a lovely shine with no brushmarks. But I believe it can be done. Not sure about the thinning and be careful to clean your airbrush thoroughly because it dries fast and it difficult to budgr

10 minutes ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

I used to do this but switched to brush painting it on as it is far easier and quicker - you don't have to clean the airbrush. As it is transparent I found it tricky to see it when cleaning.

However to airbrush I used to add a couple of squirts of Windowlene - the blue window cleaner - which I believe is ammonia based and that worked fine. 

Mark

Thanks chaps - I'll stick to the brush, then.

On 31/08/2021 at 11:50, jackroadkill said:

Thanks chaps - I'll stick to the brush, then.

Jack - if you have this stuff: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361619671188 - then it goes through an airbrush without diluting no problem, although obviously you can also brush it.  

Having said that, I'm currently trying out Halfords acrylic clear coat out of a rattle can (I already use their plastic primer, so I thought I'd give it a try).  I've just clear-coated a 109 with it and it has dried to a really tough, high gloss finish.  Interestingly, it stands up to an enamel panel line wash a lot better than Pledge seems to..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Werdna said:

Jack - if you have this stuff: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361619671188 - then it goes through an airbrush without diluting no problem, although obviously you can also brush it.  

Thanks Werdna, that's what I've got.  It arrived this morning and when I got in from work I brushed my Tempest with it, and other than it now smelling like a 1970's village hall I'm pretty pleased with the result.  I may well try airbrushing it on another kit soon.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

and other than it now smelling like a 1970's village hall I'm pretty pleased with the result

Hmm - I don't get the same 'village hall' smell with my bottle.  I might complain....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/09/2021 at 22:19, Werdna said:

I'm currently trying out Halfords acrylic clear coat out of a rattle can (I already use their plastic primer, so I thought I'd give it a try).  I've just clear-coated a 109 with it and it has dried to a really tough, high gloss finish.  Interestingly, it stands up to an enamel panel line wash a lot better than Pledge seems to..

How did this turn out for you in the end? Reliable?

31 minutes ago, Lewis95 said:

How did this turn out for you in the end? Reliable?

Hi - yes, it turned out fine.  You need to be careful with it as it goes on a lot heavier than future, so one light coat is probably equal to 3-4 coats of future.  Decals and panel line wash went on without issue (probably a bit easier, as the surface was glossier) and after a decent matt coat, everything finished up well.  My main worry was the gloss coat (or the aerosol carrier) reacting with the paint, but no problems there.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:12 AM, Herrick said:

I thought about brushing as I'm a bit concerned about gooing up the airbrush!

With good reason, I used to spray it. However no matter how quickly I broke the A/B down it still gummed the inside up. I had to soak it in vinegar and sometimes straight ammonia to get it clean. I went back to using the wide brush. It has the property of self leveling as it dries slowly. If it does leave strokes you can always buff it with a t-shirt once its dry. 

• Like 2