Jump to content

Using Klear / Future / Quickshine


Herrick
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have finally got some Quickshine and intend to use it first on my P-51D build which has suffered dreadfully while being handled, despite the precautions I take. The current situation is that has been airbrushed with Vallejo Aluminum and has decals applied to one side. I want to protect the painted finish which still seems very soft despite it being sprayed weeks ago and I also want to protect the decals.

I have seen that people use one of the above and my question is quite simple. How do you use it?

I have reference to using it neat, dilute with water 50/50 and 60/40 and also that a drop of washing up liquid helps.

What works for you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just about everyone has their favourite way

I use 'Astonish' which is just another trade name version

I use it neat, no thinning, no additives

I don't spray. I use a wide flat brush, about 10 to 12mm wide, to brush it on. I apply a lot, then as I spread it over the surface I'm actually taking some off, rather than having to dip the brush to get more

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Just about everyone has their favourite way

I use 'Astonish' which is just another trade name version

I use it neat, no thinning, no additives

I don't spay. I use a wide flat brush, about 10 to 12mm wide, to brush it on. I apply a lot, then as I spread it over the surface I'm actually taking some off, rather than having to dip the brush to get more

I thought about brushing as I'm a bit concerned about gooing up the airbrush!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Just about everyone has their favourite way

I use 'Astonish' which is just another trade name version

I use it neat, no thinning, no additives

I don't spay. I use a wide flat brush, about 10 to 12mm wide, to brush it on. I apply a lot, then as I spread it over the surface I'm actually taking some off, rather than having to dip the brush to get more

I used a brush. I think the result is a little thick in a couple of places but no sign of brush strokes on drying. No doubt my technique will improve with time!

Thanks for your response.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

If yours went on a 'little thick' your version might need thinning with some water for my 'Astonish' is as thin as water

The Quickshine is thicker than that. I'm doing some today so I'll try watering it down and see what the result is. I must say that a little went an awful long way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Herrick said:

The Quickshine is thicker than that. I'm doing some today so I'll try watering it down and see what the result is. I must say that a little went an awful long way.

 

A model aircraft is a lot smaller than most kitchen floors 🤔

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah I just see this topic popping up , I found Pledge Clean it in my shop... And I tried a few shops haha..is it okay or does it need to be Pledge revive it? I live in Belgium.. sorry to steal your post... 😌 I just put it on with a flat brush without thinning it... I had a bottle of something, I think parket plus or something but can't find that either... Lol 😆 and I found a bottle online but it doesn't come cheap 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, fatalsky said:

Ah I just see this topic popping up , I found Pledge Clean it in my shop... And I tried a few shops haha..is it okay or does it need to be Pledge revive it? I live in Belgium.. sorry to steal your post... 😌 I just put it on with a flat brush without thinning it... I had a bottle of something, I think parket plus or something but can't find that either... Lol 😆 and I found a bottle online but it doesn't come cheap 🤔

Don't worry about hijacking, the thread is really about using a polish to protect your work. Unusually, this thread has been very quiet in response to my question. In response to yours, I get the impression that as long as the product is designed to dry to a hard clear shine, then it should be ok. I guess another question could be about whether the product reacts to anything else applied afterwards.

The ad for Pledge Clean It in the UK makes it sound more like a cleaner than a hard drying polish.

I've tried the Quickshine and it works well, dries clear and hard. Whether there are any problems wrt applying coats over it I've yet to find out. It costs £16 for a 800ml bottle in the UK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Herrick said:

 I guess another question could be about whether the product reacts to anything else applied afterwards.

Yes, no problem with enamel or water based acrylic paints but you may have problems with Tamiya acrylic which is alcohol based. Alcohol being one of the things that will remove 'Kleer' - aka all other names

Also you can get a reaction with Micro-Sol and Micro-Set

 

2 hours ago, Herrick said:

I've tried the Quickshine and it works well, dries clear and hard. Whether there are any problems wrt applying coats over it I've yet to find out. It costs £16 for a 800ml bottle in the UK.

blimey, thats expensive!   :o

I get Astonish in Home Bargains at about £1 for 750ml or so

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I get Astonish in Home Bargains at about £1 for 750ml or so

Ouch! I shall remember that in the 50 or so years from now when I’ve finished the Quickshine!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...