Yamaha XV1000 Virago Complete

My second attempt at motorcycles, a Tamiya 1/12 Yamaha XV1000 Virago. 
Better than my first attempt which went a bit doolally, probably me. Some of you may think a easy build but hey I'm still learning, I think I want to get a collection of bikes to build, obviously some harder than others, Decals is my nightmare.🙄🥵

Most of the build went well, clean cuts of the sprue as expected from Tamiya. One or two little niggles along the way, I thought the front brake discs could have done with a little more detail, pretty flat looking. Paint job on the fuel tank could probably be better, need to practice more on getting a high gloss.

There is a sprue which had all chromium parts, I noticed Tamiya Extra Thin didn't stick too well to the chrome parts, super glue did the job.

The one decal for each side of the fuel tank was a sorta lined  oval shaped loop with nothing in the middle, I messed it up so off it came. I think what I should have done before dipping it in water was to slice it in half, put the top half on first then slide the bottom half up, I think that would have been easier.

Overall I'm quite happy with the result.

51326001747_134b6eafb0_b.jpg

51326001712_19ecfd9056_b.jpg

51327726955_45f4f30f30_b.jpg

51327726920_701b80389c_b.jpg

51327726875_a12d58a9db_b.jpg

51326001837_e12273fa36_b.jpg

51326732881_c3ed7e02fc_b.jpg

Edited by FrankJ
  • Like 15

Congratulations on a fine model, built this myself a couple of years ago ,but gave it a custom paint job .I think it is one of the best motorbike kits i have built ,well done. 

• Like 1

Well done Frank looks good to me mate 👍. You mention some issues with paint and decals during the build but all these niggles will get resolved as you build more bikes and gain the key ingredient....knowledge 😉. Above all else you're clearly enjoying yourself and that's what matters and remember this forum is full of experienced and talented modellers and all of them will offer advice if you ask for it 🙂👍

• Like 1

Nice job on a 35 year old kit! Yes, it really has been with us since 1985 (when the VX1000 was almost brand new!)

Also, the discs are just the way that Yamaha designed them - no holes, slots or ventilation, just solid steel discs. Later models got slotted / drilled discs, but not the 1000cc model (which only had a 2 year production life). More relief at the triangular holes near the axle would've been nice, true, but it is an old kit (and much superior to almost everything else being produced at the time!) 

Again, great job! I really should build the one that's in my stash....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Frank,

Superb model. I've always fancied getting this kit, but never got around to it.

Modelling disc brakes so that they look 'real' is an absolute pain. They are neither matt, satin  or chrome! After-market steel PE is about the best that I have found, but not available for all models.

Just a suggestion, maybe putting a grey/brown wash on the 'hub' of the discs, may make them 'pop' a bit better. (Crud usually accumulates there during the life of the bike. I know, I have had several over the years !)

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Alan R said:

Hi Frank,

Superb model. I've always fancied getting this kit, but never got around to it.

Modelling disc brakes so that they look 'real' is an absolute pain. They are neither matt, satin  or chrome! After-market steel PE is about the best that I have found, but not available for all models.

Just a suggestion, maybe putting a grey/brown wash on the 'hub' of the discs, may make them 'pop' a bit better. (Crud usually accumulates there during the life of the bike. I know, I have had several over the years !)

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Alan.

Didn't realise you could get photo etch brake discs. Something I'll need to add to my model bike. 

Do you have a favourite site to but PE brake discs? 

Looks very good, espectially for only being your second build.

You mentioned that the Tamiya Extra Thin didn't stick to the chrome. As it is a solvent rather than traditional glue, you would need to scrape off the chrome at the attchment point to the cement can melt the plastic to make the join, then it should work fine.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, FrankJ said:

Didn't realise you could get photo etch brake discs. Something I'll need to add to my model bike. 

Hiroboy in the UK or Spotmodel of Spain. Both very good to deal with but PE sets come on and off the market quite quickly so you have to keep an eye out. (Some only come in super detailing sets which are quite expensive so you'll have to think if it's worth the extra chunk of change.)👍

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, FrankJ said:

I usually go to HiroBoy (www.hiroboy.com) when I am looking for photo-etch.

As I said before, not all model kits are catered for, and I suspect that the Virago isn't on the list. I may be wrong.

Just head over to HiroBoy and take a look...

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...