Jump to content

Caproni Ca.310


TISO
 Share

Recommended Posts

Compiled from various sources. Work in progress any corrections or/and suggestions wellcome

 

Caproni Ca.310

By Marko Tisovic

 

Development:

 

Although the Ca.308 Borea civil transport and its Ca.309 Ghibli multi-role colonial warplane half-brother clearly possessed production potential in their basic forms, Caproni chief designer Cesare Pallavicino believed an aircraft with stronger engines and retractable main landing gear units would be more marketable. This upgrade would be for the military rather than civilian use. Caproni encouraged Pallavicino to design this aircraft in parallel with the Ca.309 Ghibli. The result was the Caproni Ca.310 Libeccio which first flew as a prototype in 1937 with a modified and strengthened Ca.309 airframe which was shorter by 0.8 m. Both aircraft were intended for “colonial” duties. The upgraded "Caproni" differed from the Ca.309 in on board equipment, landing gear type and engines. With retractable landing gear and a new power plant of two radial seven-cylinder Piaggio Stella P.VII C.16 of 430 hp. (or C.35 engines with superchargers), the maximum speed increased in comparison with the Ghibli, by almost 100 km/h.

 

The Caproni Ca.310 fuselage comprised of welded steel tube construction with light alloy panels and fabric. The tail section is of wooden construction with a plywood skin on its fixed portions and fabric covering on its moving portions.

 

The Ca.310 had a cantilever low-set wing of plywood covered wooden construction with virtually the full span of its trailing edges occupied by outboard ailerons and inboard split flaps. Thus the only major changes were in forward fuselage and engine nacelles. A revised forward fuselage incorporated a more effective bombardier position with heavily framed but more extensive glazing on its lower part. The revised engine nacelles provided accommodation for a new engines and main landing gear units that hydraulically retracted rearward to rest in the underside of the nacelles with only part of each wheel exposed.

                                                                      

The military version of the Ca.310 was armed similarly to military Ca.309 with three 7.7-mm machine guns "Breda-SAFAT": two - in the wing roots and the third – in dorsal turret with 500 rounds pre gun. In a light bomber role, the Ca.310 could carry up to 400 kg of small bombs in bomb bays in each wing root.

 

The prototype Ca.310 (MM 20807) made its first flight on April 9, 1937 with Ettore Wengi at controls. In the October of same year it was shown at Milano air fair and received considerable attention. In February of the 1938, five aircraft, significantly lighter and without weapons, participated in the III Sahara air races. Pilots I. de Wittembeschi, W. Maddalena and J. Parodi took the first three places. The triumph spurred Caproni's foreign sales. But the reliability of the aircraft still left much to be desired.

 

The aircraft, named "Libecchio" (southwestern wind blowing from Libya), was built in a significant numbers. Most aircraft produced were military and passenger/cargo aircraft distinguished by the absence of lower glazing on the nose were rare.

 

Caproni further improved the Ca.310 model by equipping it with Piaggio P.XVI R.C.35 radial engines with a capacity of 650 hp each, three-blade propellers with spinners, and additional shields on the landing gear. The aircraft received the designation Ca.312. Norway ordered 12 aircraft as substitute for unsatisfactory Ca.310s, but none were delivered due to start of the war. A small batch was given to the Italian Air Force. One of these aircraft was used for testing of Balerio system air brakes. The Ca.312IS variant, a torpedo bomber on two floats, with a nose like the Ca.311, remained on paper.

 

Another modification of Ca.310 became Ca.310bis version which was interim version to Ca.311 and had new nose glazing without step identical to Ca.311, new gun turret and newer Piaggio series 35 engines with counter rotating propellers. The only external difference to later Ca.311 was smaller number of windows in rear fuselage area. Small number of them were built. Yugoslavia ordered and received 12 examples in 1939.

 

In addition to the main modifications of the Libecchio, there was also the float Ca.310 Idro, a naval reconnaissance aircraft with reduced bow glazing and no weapons. In August 1940, when the Italian fleet needed a replacement for the Romeo Ro 43 catapult biplane, the Caproni developers once again returned to seaplane aviation. A reconnaissance torpedo bomber Ca.316 was designed with "Piaggio" P.VII C.16 (450 hp each), two-blade propellers and armament consisting of a 12.7-mm machine gun in the left wing root and 7.7mm - on the top turret, 400 kg of bombs or torpedoes. The Ca.316 existed in several prototypes, but did not go into production as internal competition with more modern  Ca.313 and Ca.314 interfered.

 

Production:

Up to April of 1939 256 examples of Ca.310 and Ca.310bis were produced.

 

Production series of Ca.310:

MM. - n. 1 (February 1937) prototype

MM. 20807 - 20856 – 1st series of  50 aircraft (July 1937 - April 1939,  C.A.B.)

MM. 20951 - 21051 – 2nd series of  100 aircraft (December 1937 - April 1939, Caproni)

MM. 21607 - 21616 – 3rd series of  10 aircraft (March - May 1940, C.A.B.)

MM. 21617 - 21626 – 4th series of  10 aircraft re-registered or order canceled

MM. 21639 - 21654 – 5th series of  16 aircraft (February - March 1939,  Caproni Taliedo) sold to Spain

MM. 21754 - 21789 – 6th series of  36 aircraft (March - April 1939,  Caproni Taliedo) sold to Hungary

MM. 23902 - 23934 – 7th series of  33 aircraft of 6th series (1940/41) returned from Hungary and re-registered

 

Technical description:

Reconnaissance aircraft, low cantilever wing monoplane, twin engine, 3 seat with mixed structure.

 

Fuselage:

Fuselage divided into two parts connected by pin connections: the front in welded steel tube sections with light alloy sheeting; the central and rear made up of welded chromium-molybdenum steel tubes with painted canvas covering.

 

Wings:

Wing with wooden twin spar structure with metal reinforcements and coated and painted plywood covering; wooden ailerons with metal armature and canvas lining; ventral flaps in wood and fabric covering.

 

Landing gear:

Retractable landing gear rotating towards the rear, partially hidden in the nacelles of the engines.

Non-retractable swivel tail wheel.

 

Tail:

Cantilever tail planes with wooden structure with metal reinforcements and plywood cladding, except for movable surfaces which were covered with canvas.

 

Cockpit:

Cockpit with side-by-side seats and position for the gunner-radiotelegraph operator.

 

Cockpit instrumentation: large navigation compass, directional gyroscopic horizon, radio repeater (in case of radio direction finder installed), ball heel indicator, 2 anemometers, 2 altimeters: 1000 and 8000 m, 2 variometers, turn indicator , aerodynamic brake position indicator, clock, gyro instruments depressor indicator; 2 propeller pitch indicators, 2 engine tachometer, 2 compressor pressure gauges, 2 oil pressure gauges, 2 petrol pressure gauges, 1 thermoelectric indicator for cylinder head temperature, 2 propeller control switches, 2 oil tele-thermometers, trolley position electric indicator, 2 warning devices pressure gauge, air brake pressure gauge, compressed air pressure gauge, 2 hydraulic system pressure gauges, alarm buzzer for the truck.

Pointer dashboard: 6000m altimeter, clock.

 

Engineer's dashboard: starting air pressure gauge, starter magnet, diverter, 2 petrol injectors.

 

Provisions for the installation of an "O.M.I." cameras A.G.R.90 or A.G.R.61 and radio station A 350 I.

 

Fuel system:

Fuel in two wing tanks with a total capacity of 940 l placed between the sides of the fuselage and the engine mounts, possibility of installing two auxiliary tanks with a capacity of 150 l each in the bomb compartment.

 

Engines:

2 engines Piaggio Stella P.VII C.16 with two-blade propellers with variable pitch in flight.

 

Armament:

Three 7.7 mm machine guns BREDA-Safat with 500 rounds per weapon: two fixed forward in wing roots shooting outside the propeller disc, one in the dorsal turret.

 

Bomb compartment in the fuselage for a maximum load of 320 kg (4 of 100 kg, 6 of 50 kg or 10 of 20 kg, or 2x 150l auxiliary fuel tanks).

 

Use:

Majority of Ca.310 were meant to be exported but due to cancelled orders and returns Italy received majority of produced aircraft (193). Aircraft were exported to Yugoslavia (12 Ca.310, 12 Ca.310bis), Peru (16 Ca.310), Spain Nationalist (16 Ca.310), Hungary (36 Ca.310 – 33 returned), Norway (24 Ca.310 ordered only 4 delivered).

 

Italy

Italian air force (Reggia Aeronautica - RA) did not equip entire units with this aircraft but allocated 1 aircraft per squadron for auxiliary duties. In all RA received 193 machines of Ca.310 and Ca.310bis types. These aircraft served as squadron hacks, training aircraft, light passenger and cargo transports, light scout bombers in North Africa etc.

 

Yugoslavia

First foreign customer was Yugoslavia who bought 12 aircraft of the first production series (1o Serie C.A.B.) in 1938. While all other countries bought these aircraft as light bombers, Yugoslavia bought them as trainers. Yugoslavian air force was modernising with new modern bombers of Bristol Blenheim, Dornier Do-17K and Savoia Marchetti SM.79 types and needed modern transition trainer for multiengine aircraft with retractable landing gear. With Ca.310 they saved operating time of new expensive frontline bombers. It seems that Yugoslavs were only foreign customer that was actually happy with Ca.310. In fact they also ordered a series of 12 Ca.310bis which was almost the same as newer Ca.311. The 12 Ca.310bis were delivered in 1939. Yugoslavia also ordered 15 newer Ca.311 (only 5 delivered a few days before war started).

After the German attack and the split of the country remaining machines, became part of the Air Force of Independent state of Croatia, an ally of Germany. 

 

Spain

The baptism of fire of Ca.310 took place in Spanish civil war. While Caproni Ca.310 originated as an export model, Regia Aeronautica ordered some aicraft. Spain received 16 of these aircraft in July 1938 for operational trials with the reconnaissance bomber squadron of the Italian expeditionary force operating alongside the Nationalist insurgents in the Spanish Civil War. They served in 18 Gruppo and were marked 18o1 to 18o16.

 

Peru

Cuerpo de Aviación del Perú purchased 16 aircraft in 1938. 15 of them were delivered by ship in May 1938, and the last one was lost during the ferry flight from Italy to Peru on August 2, 1939, killing Capt. Pedro Canga Rodríguez and one of his crew members - their deaths being immortalized in the song "Alas Peruanas" by Los Morochucos. Peruvian Aeronautical Corps Ca.310s took part in the July 1941 Ecuadorian–Peruvian War (Cenepa war) in XI Esc. de Bombardeo. Together with North American NA.50s, the Peruvian Ca.310s flew bombing missions against Ecuadorian cities and supported Army of Peru ground forces.

 

Hungary

Hungary bought 36 aircraft, 3 were soon lost in accidents. Hungarians were very displeased with Ca.310 performance. In 1938 remaining 33 Ca.310s were returned to the company. They were taken into the account for Hungarian purchase of Ca.135bisU heavy bombers. Returned aircraft were refurbished and issued to 50˚ Stormo Assalto to replace Breda Ba.65 in 12th Gruppo.

 

Norway

Norway ordered 24 Ca.310. Norwegian aircraft were acquired as part of a dried and salted cod (Klippfisk) barter deal between Norway and Italy. The original order, including options, was for 24 aircraft, but after delivery of first 4 aircraft testing revealed aircraft flight characteristics were noticeably behind those promised by the company, and the build quality was unsatisfactory, the Norwegian authorities refused to accept any further Ca.310s and cancelled the order. The 4 delivered Ca.310 aircraft received serial numbers: 501, 503, 505 and 507.  Instead of canceled original order a batch of 12 Caproni Ca.312s with upgraded engines and improved performance was ordered in 1939. These aircraft were not delivered before the German invasion of Norway on 9th of April 1940.  Aircraft No.503 was hired by Norwegian national carrier DNL A/S received coat of overall white paint, civilian registration LY-DAK and name Breduen (Carrier pidgeon). It was employed as fast mail aircraft on Oslo-Goteborg-Copenhagen night route in summer of 1939. By the start of the war it was back on military duties.

At the moment of German attack on Norway on 9th of April 1940 all 4 Ca.310s were stationed at Sola airport with 6 Fokker C.V.E and 2 Tiger Moths. They were ordered to Oslo to help defend the capital. Only 2 Ca.310s No 501 and No.505 and Fokkers managed to get airborne and 503 and 507 were destroyed on ground by German fighters. No.505 managed to take off from Sola even tough it was damaged and was destroyed by own crew after emergency landing at Opstad. No.501 was also damaged at Sola but managed to escape. Germans tried to destroy solitary Caproni 4 times but it managed to evade them every time. In the end No.501 ended its career in lake Vangsmjøsa in the mountains of Valdres when it was damaged and abandoned on 19th of April 1940. This aircraft is the only remaining aircraft of this type and was restored and put on display in Sola aircraft museum.

 

 

 Great Britain

Great Britain was potentially the most important customer for the Ca.310, which was undertaking a major expansion of the RAF in a program that accelerated after the Munich Crisis of October 1938. A major element in this British program included enlarging the bomber force, which required an effective crew trainer aircraft. The British decided that the Ca.310 could fit this role in late 1938. Protracted negotiations continued until after the outbreak of World War II when Italy was still neutral. In December 1939 the British government informed Caproni it was planning to buy 200 examples of the Ca.310 and 300 examples of the more powerful Ca.313. Eventually, the British decided to replace its planned order of 200 Ca.310s with order for 100 Ca.311s. Order was not cancelled even after the start of the war with Germany and Caproni who was anti german tried to sell aircraft trough intermediaries but Italian entry into war on axis side scrapped all plans.

Belgium

At the end of 1939 Belgium ordered 24 modified to Ca.312. Only 2 aircraft were built after Belgium capitulated and were delivered to RA. After the war both were given to the Belgians who used them in their African colony of Congo. 

 

Sources:

https://comandosupremo.com/caproni-ca-310/

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww2/ca310.html

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww2/ca312.html

http://www.paluba.info/smf/index.php?topic=12941.0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproni_Ca.310

https://web.archive.org/web/20171001044103/http://www.alieuomini.it/catalogo/dettaglio_catalogo/caproni_ca_libeccio,55.html

 

Drawings from Maintanance Manual and Ilustrated Parts Catalogue:

http://www.cmpr.it/MN - Caproni Ca.310.htm

 

 

 

Edited by TISO
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Caproni Ca.310, Ca.310bis and Ca.311 in Yugoslav service

 

 

Article by Nebojša Đokić translated (and some info added) by Marko Tisovic from:

http://www.paluba.info/smf/index.php?topic=12941.0

with some information added

 

Ca.310

After signing of agreement between Kingdom of Italy and Kingdom of Yugoslavia in 1937 a path was opened for buying of military material by Yugoslavia from Italy.

First negotiations were concluded and contract for purchase of 12 Caproni Ca.310 aircraft was signed on 22nd of December 1937. These aircraft were taken from first series of 50 aircraft that were being built for Italian Air Force (RA) (1o Serie C.A.B. MM20807 - MM20856).

First examples were finished in April 1938 and by May 4 aircraft were delivered Vazduhoplovstvo Vojske (VV – military air force). On 25th of June 1938 remaining 8 were delivered. This first purchase was done without any political preconditions. Majority of these aircraft were immediately relocated to Skopje for training of crews which saved resources and prevented unnecessary damage to new and expensive Dornier Do-17K bombers.

 

Ca.310bis

In May of 1939 after presentation by Caproni factory pilot de Bernardi of modified Ca.310 in Zemun VV ordered 12 aircraft of new version known as Ca.310bis. Contract was signed on 5th of June.  These aircraft had new more extensive glazing of the nose without step (identical to Ca.311), new gun turret and newer Piaggio series 35 engines with counter rotating propellers. The only external difference to later Ca.311 was smaller number of windows in rear fuselage area. New purchase was intended to ensure continued training of multiengine aircraft already in service (Do-17K) and aircraft that were expected to enter service in short time (Blenheim). By 22 of December 1939 11 aircraft were delivered.

 

Between end of September and early November 1939 Yugoslavs proposed to CAB (Caproni ) experts in Belgrade to develop a study of mounting of Hispano-Suiza 9K engines on Ca.312. Designer Cesare Pavallicino accepted and staff of VV was pleased with offered solution as they intended a purchase further 20 aircraft of this modification. This did not happen but the last of aircraft of 12 aircraft Ca.310bis order No.24/br.3254 was finished by Caproni with 2 Gnome-Rhone 9K engines with 3 bladed propellers. Exact date of delivery of this aircraft is not known but according to plan it was to be delivered by 1st of July 1940. Modification of this aircraft was done for experimental purposes in connection of possible licence production in Ikarus factory. Licence was bought with fist order and licence production was considered in 1938 but not undertaken. If production under licence was undertaken aircraft would have been equipped with K-9 engines.

 

Ca.311

At the end of 1940 obviously satisfied by characteristics of Ca.310 and Ca.310bis VV asked for delivery of 50-60 new Caproni Ca.311 aircraft. Italians approved delivery of only 15 of the new aircraft. After delays and further negotiations AEROCONS was ready to deliver these 15 aircraft on 11th of March 1941. First group of Ca.311 was flown by Yugoslav pilots under command of Major Milivoj Mišivić to Mostar on 23rd of March 1941. These 5 aircraft (MM11527, MM11534, MM11547, MM11550 and MM11551) were from 4th production series of 36 aircraft produced in Taliedo. Delivery of remaining 10 aircraft waiting in Taliedo was temporarily stopped by general Urbini due to military cue on 27th of March. After start of hostilities Italian RA high command (SM dell'Aeronautica) ordered these 10 aircraft to reconnaissance units operating on Eastern Front.
 

Use of Ca.310, Ca.310bis and Ca.311

All Caproni aircraft were delivered unarmed as armament was probably considered after delivery. Ca.310 and Ca.310bis were equipped with Italian communication and aero-photo equipment. Ca.310 were equipped with S.B. 1 bomb carriers. In 1940 2 Ca.310bis from 3rd squadron (3. oddeljenje) of 1st. flight school (1.Pš) in Pančevo were armed machine guns Darne 7,7mm (2 in wing roots and 1 in turret). At the time these were the only armed Caproni aircraft in VV and were used as trainers as well.

 

In VV Capronis were classed as »military multiplace bomber« and were described as »twin engine aircraft for training of personnel, reconnaissance and light bombing with 2 engines Piaggio P-VII-C-16 of 430/460H.P.« (Ca.310) or »…Piaggio P-VII-C-35 of 420H.P. on ground and 460H.P. on 3200m« (Ca-310bis). However since mid-1938 (immediately after arrival) Ca.310 was described as »aircraft for training of bombing«. Basically Caproni could be used as a trainer and as a bomber but VV used Capronis exclusively as trainers for various duties of which most important was for multiengine training. For practical reasons VV decided that initial decision of combat use was abandoned as training of new pilots for multiengine aircraft was much more significant than paltry combat capabilities of Caproni aircraft.

 

General name in VV was Kaproni while different versions were marked with multitude of names. In Yugoslav service original Ca. was mostly used as Ka.

Type 310 was named Kaproni Libečio 310, Kaproni K-310 or just Kaproni Libečio.

Type 310bis was named Kaproni Libečio 310bis, Kaproni K-310bis or Kaproni 310bis. Modified example was named Kaproni Libečio 310bis Gnom-Ron or Kaproni K-9.

Type 311 was named Kaproni Libečio K-311, Kaproni K-311 or Kaproni 311.

 

Registrations:

All Caproni aircraft were initially marked with subsequent numbers as was usual in VV.

Ca.310 were marked from No.1 to No.12

Ca.310bis were marked from No.13 to No.24

Ca.311 were marked 25 to 30 (without No.)

With transition to new registration numbers all Capronis were marked with subsequent numbers starting from Br.3231. As is visible aircraft were registered as bombers (Br.3xxx) but second number (Br.x2xx) was not meant for a single type but represented multiengine transport and training aircraft. Due to pace of happenings and breaking out of April war so soon after the delivery it is unlikely that 5 delivered Ca.311s received application of the intended registration numbers.

 

After delivery of Ca.310 to VV, Royal Yugoslav Navy became interested in hydro version of this type. At the end of 1938 demonstration of Ca.310 hydroplane prototype (Ca.310 idro prototipo I-AMPL MM.21000 – modified standard Ca.310) was performed at hydroplane station Divulje. In February of 1939 Navy demanded from AEROCONS representatives emergency delivery of 6 hydroplanes. After Ministry council (decision MS 896/39) naval command signed contract for delivery of 6 hydroplanes Ca.310bis idro for reconnaissance and target towing.  In navy custom aircraft were named as Kaproni-Pijađo or short Ka/P. Delivery deadline was 30th of June 1941 at cost of 6.876.000 lira. Only 2 spare Piaggio engines were delivered by the start of the war in April 1941.

Unfortunately first aircraft was only finished on 17th of November 1941 and was delivered to RA which ordered that remaining 5 examples be brought to Ca.316 standard.

 

April war:

On start of April war on 6th of April 1941 19 Capronis were operational (3 Ca.310, 11 Ca.310bis and 5 Ca.311).

Of this number

-      603. Squadron 10 Ca.310bis (13/3243-18/3248, 20/3250, 22/3252-24/3254). This was the only unit completely equipped with Capronis.

-      VšB in Jasenice airfield by Mostar 1 Ca.310,

-      Pš (pilot school) in Blagaj airfield by Mostar 1 Ca.310,

-      8.BP (Bombarderski Puk = Bomber Regiment) at Rovine airfield near Banja Luka 1 Ca.310 and 1 Ca.310bis (21/3251) and

-      5 Ca.311 in blind flying school at Grab airfield in Hercegovina.

 

 

1 Ca.310bis flown by captain Sinobad crashed or was shot down at Mount Olympus on 16th of April 1941

 

Majority of Ca.310’s were not operational at the start of the war due to extensive use in last 2,5 years. At the end of March 9 Ca.310 and 1 Ca.310bis aircraft were on general overhaul in Ikarus factory. These aircraft were 2/3232, 4/3234-11/3241 (of which 4/3234 was intended for scrapping) and 1 Ca.310bis 19/3249.

After fall of Yugoslavia Italians captured 1 unflyble Ca.310bis and 1 Ca.311.

 

German captured 9 Ca.310 (6 in Ikarus factory and 3 on Zemun airfield) and 1 Ca.310bis at Rajlovac. Germans used 8 aircraft on Rajlovac airfield registered from PA+XA to PA+XH (last was the only Ca-310bis). Aircraft were used as passenger/transports and one Caproni with seats was used by German commandant of occupied Serbia.

 

NDH (Croats) used 6 Ca.310 (5 bought from Germans and 1 that they captured themselves) and 1 Ca.310bis. They were registered Ca-310 from 1001 to 1006 and Ca-310bis as 1101.

NDH (Croatia) as new axis ally negotiated in with Caproni factory as successor of Yugoslavia for delivery of already paid (by Kingdom of Yugoslavia) but undelivered 10 Ca.311’s. On this basis in spring of 1942 Caproni delivered 10 Ca.311M and later 4 more.

Sole NDH Ca.310bis escaped to Italy on 31st of October 1943 and landed at SAAF Wing at Tortorella AF with 7 Yugoslavs and one gestapo officer. Crew was pilot lt. Luka Purić- Stankov, observer capt 1st class Stjepan Kovačević, technician/gunner ensign Drago Konjevod with 5 passangers most important of which was captain Janko Dobnikar (a Slovene) chief pilot in Zemun WNF (ex. Ikarus) who was arrested on prevoous day by Gestapo for cooperating with partisans. Flight itself was ment to transport the prisoner with his Gestapo escort from Rajlovac to Zagreb.

 

scanned SAAF documents on this link: http://www.maketarstvo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32003&sid=e796d1b79ab3ccdef5af788add7adc13

 

Painting of Yugoslav Ca.310, Ca.310bis and Ca.311:

Ca.310:

These were delivered in Bianco Ivorio with metal parts unpainted. Aircraft were at some point during overhaul repainted with new bombers scheme of ochre, brown and green upper surfaces and light blue lower surfaces. Photos of aircraft captured at Zemun airfield and Ikarus show these scheme.

 

Ca.310bis:

Photos show there aircraft in standard Caproni Italian camouflage. With light shade probably yellow as base with green mottle 

 

Ca.311:

Photos show these aircraft in standard Caproni Italian camouflage with darker shade probably green base colour with yellow and brown mottles

 

Caproni company used following colours [#15]:

Giallo mimetico 3 or Verde Mimetico 53192 – upper lighter colour

Marrone Mimetico 2 or Marrone Mimetico 53193 or Bruno Mimetico – upper brown mottle

Verde Mimetico 3 – upper green color

Grigio Mimetico – lower surfaces   

 

 

Edited by TISO
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

Yugoslav Capronis Ca.310 of first order after delivery on an airfield in 1938

Kaproni_Ca_310.jpg

 

Yugoslav Caproni Ca.310bis No.15 (1/72 decals instruction)

rVSqBP8FblrYdqn8D0lOP4XTGALT5KdJo0Bqv25t

 

NDH Ca.310 in what seems to be late Royal Yugoslav bomber camouflage of ochre, dark brown and green upper and light blue-green lower surfaces

spacer.png

 

NDH Ca.310 in later painting of solig green upper camouflage with light blue lower surfaces

Zrakoplovi_NDH.jpg

NDH Ca.310 at Rajlovac (Sarajevo) airfield

Ca310d-Croatiaf.jpg

 

Royal Yugoslav Ca.311 brefore delivery

spacer.png

Edited by TISO
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ca.310bis no 21 of 8.BP destroyed at Rovine AF (Banja Luka)

c51b_1.jpg

 

Yugoslav aircraft captured at Zemun Airfield

 

 

harikenzemunebaysf0.jpg

 

f833_1.jpg

CA313JKRVZemun.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Being refurbished at Ikarus still under Yugoslav managment. Thin white strip being applied to the rudder corresponds with new toned down tricolor marking on the rudder:

blenheim1vn5.jpg

blenheim2nz1.jpg

 

Ca.310bis of 8.BP destroyed at Rovine 

c51b_1.jpg

 

Another NDH example

CroatCa310e.jpg

Edited by TISO
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Interestingly on this shop site there are photos of a built AZUR model as NDH Ca.310 in Yugoslav bomber camouflage. I don't know how accurate it is but this scheme does conform to some of the photos. Problem is that only photos of Ca.310 captured at Zemun and Ikarus are known to be camouflaged. I simply don't have information if the few operational Ca.310 were already camouflaged of were still in delivery scheme. RE SIlver Dope. There is a discussion if the planes were delivered in Bianco Ivorio or vere they painted in silver dope. Conclusion on a serbian forum was that it is more likely for planes to be painted in silver dope. 

https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/Caproni-Ca.310-Yugoslavian-Croatian-and-Hungarian-Marking.html

 

4122_0-auto_downl.jpg

 

4122_1-auto_downl.jpg

 

4122_2-auto_downl.jpg

 

4122_3-auto_downl.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by TISO
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re Ca.310bis modification AFAIK one only has to correct the fuselage windows and canvas effect where Ca-311 windows are on the kit.

I could be wrong so if someone knows more please help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Murmillo sent me the scan (thanks) of the picture at the bottom of a plane which is most definitly not a Blenheim as claimed in the caption.

It seems someone was experimenting a bit by using power plant of Do-17K on a Caproni. Yugoslavs were known for experimenting (like mating Bf-109E Daimler-Benz engine onto a Hawker Hurricane)

What do you make of it?

 

Plane is a bit strange:

- wing root definitly Caproni without machine gun (one can even see a barrel port)

- fuselage behind cockpit indicates Ca.310 and not later versions as it has no windows

- visible part of windshield indicates Ca-310 not later

- camouflage colors seem later 3 tome bomber camo.

 

Now for the interesting part:

- engines are definitly Gnome-Rhone 14K series not Piaggio or Gnome-Rhone 9K as mounted on Ca.310bis No.24

- propeller is french hence markings "in the french manner"

- i don't know what to make of the landing gear legs

- trough a missing cockpit side glass one can see deformed perforated sheet metal that could ve part of bomb carrier (which would indicate Ca.310bis or Ca.311)

 

Caption says:

"Hevily damaged Bleneheim of 8.BP on western side of auxiliary airfield Rovine. A couple of german soldiers from some rear unit "training" by trying to turn the propeller on the left Merciry type engine. This is the first time we can see on Blenheim marking of propeller field with yelow strips on 2/3 of the blade "in french manner". Probably in May of 1941."

 

jhEsy2m.jpg

 

 

Edited by TISO
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...