1/72 Wellington

That's a well built and painted up Wellington you've got there Scanian.  If you hadn't pointed it out I'd say the large majority of us wouldn't have keyed in on that rib. You've got no kick comin' with that build buddy. Very well done.

Beautiful work!

I love your approach to the ribbing - looks very effective to me.

Would I have noticed your "huge mistake"?  Nope!

I'm totally convinced by the entire model, and that proves how skilled you are.

:clap2::clap2:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NavyWessex said:

Stunning result. I'd ove to know what paints/varnishes were used on this build.

Thanks so much, I used AK Real Color Dark Earth, and Tamiya RAF Dark Green, both lightened a little with Sand Yellow. I've tried loads of varnishes over the years, too Matt, not Matt enough etc. I now use Vallejo Matt Varnish, the small bottle meant for handpainting thinned with Acrylic thinner,

and two thin coats. I did the ribs like the photo and sprayed Tamiya smoke along them.

Cheers,

Owenspacer.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful Wellington!  How did you achieve other subtle weathering effects, such as along the engines and the control surface demarcations?

Thank you so much, I find spraying darker/lighter colours along panel lines to be a cool trick, mostly I use Tamiya Smoke, a transparent colour along masked panel lines, I hope these pics make it clearer...

Thanks again,

Owen

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Superb work Owen and that panelling technique will be finding its way onto my next build,as for the rib I doubt even the king of anorak's

would have noticed it.I just picked up a Trumpeter Wellington and after seeing your's I realise how overdone their ribbing is.

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Superb work Owen and that panelling technique will be finding its way onto my next build,as for the rib I doubt even the king of anorak's

would have noticed it.I just picked up a Trumpeter Wellington and after seeing your's I realise how overdone their ribbing is.

Thanks so much Steve, I have the MPM one as well and the ribbing is very pronounced too. The Airfix ribbing is almost invisible so I though this was the way to go. It is quite obvious in wartime photos though so the Trumpeter might be more accurate

.spacer.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Scanlan said:

It is quite obvious in wartime photos though

That's the fabric ballooning between the ribs due to the lower upper surface pressure whilst in flight.

The effect disappears completely on the ground. Unless you're closer than a couple of feet to the real thing you can't see any ribs in the fabric surface. 

The Airfix kit effect is refined but overstated, the Trumpeter kit effect is a grossly overscale caricature.

• Like 3

Real nice build!  I would have never in a million years thought about the rib line.  But, for such a splendid build, I would dab a bit of putty on the top front turret mount, and brush some thinned paint.  Shouldn't take you long at all.  Had a bit of fun with mine too!

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 2