Question about actual windsheild wipers wearing out RHD, LHD

busnproplinerfan

I notice that windshield wipers on vehicles always wear out on the driver's side on cars. Here that's the left side, out your way it's the right side. I'm just wondering do the wipers on the right side of right drive vehicles wear out first before the pass. side. 

• Like 1

• busnproplinerfan changed the title to Question about actual windsheild wipers wearing out RHD, LHD

It could be that more gunk is thrown up from passing vehicles on that side meaning that wiper has to deal with more grit.

Dave

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Maybe because they are bigger on the drivers side. More drag?

10 minutes ago, davecov said:

It could be that more gunk is thrown up from passing vehicles on that side meaning that wiper has to deal with more grit.

Dave

Could be, just something I've noticed and wondered. Not meant to be a serious question just one of those things.

My guess is that the drivers side does more work as it also covers part of the passenger side plus as suggested earlier it's usually bigger thus subject to more pressure. That and grit coming from oncoming traffic. 

I'll bet someone somewhere has written a paper on it. 🧑‍🎓

• Haha 3

Never noticed tbh, both seem to wear out the same, though all of mine are over 20 years old and the difference between sizes is much smaller although the bits brought up by passing traffic could be close to the reason,  all 4 of my cars have most of the corrosion on the offside, you'd think all the stuff from the gutter and stones etc from the nearside gutter would make the nearside worse but I'm guessing the stuff kicked up from passing traffic is more wearing

• Like 1

On 21/07/2021 at 19:28, busnproplinerfan said:

I notice that windshield wipers on vehicles always wear out on the driver's side on cars. Here that's the left side, out your way it's the right side. I'm just wondering do the wipers on the right side of right drive vehicles wear out first before the pass. side. 

Usually the switch from RHD to LHD models the wiper sweep is changed to the opposite hand so that the swept area in front of the driver is maximised.

Wear i would imagine is influenced by the changes in curvature of the screen the blade is clearing.

• Like 1

Brilliant Q!

This is the reason I hang out on BM!

BTW, no idea, never noticed if there's a difference after about 1.2million miles of driving many different cars.

But I will say, I tend to change both at the same time anyway and I don't have much success with cheap ones. 

Rick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:21 AM, noelh said:

My guess is that the drivers side does more work as it also covers part of the passenger side plus as suggested earlier it's usually bigger thus subject to more pressure. That and grit coming from oncoming traffic. 

I'll bet someone somewhere has written a paper on it. 🧑‍🎓

I bet someone could get a billion dollar grant to write a thesis and become an expert.

• Haha 4