Fairey Firefly Mk.I, 1771 Sqn HMS Implacable 1945

Hi all

I have been working on this kit. I have modelled DK438 a Mk1 of 1771 Squadron,  HMS Implacable, task force 37.1 Pacific Ocean 1945. The Sqadron carried out strikes over the Japanese Mainland at the end of the war. 

The Grand Phoenix model is a limited run kit and has some astonishing detailing in the cockpits, undercarriage bays and radiator in the form of resin parts and although it is a limited run kit, goes together quite well.

The model was brush painted in Humbrol enamels .

I had a bit of Loss of Mojo early on in the build but overall it was an enjoyable build. I also used some aftermarket parts, a less bulbus spinnered prop, wheels  cannons from Barracuda and also the rear cockpit glazing was a vacform part, but I couldn't get the windscreen right so used the kit front canopy parts.

Anyway enough waffle here's the link to the WIP and some photos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A look through the arched window 

spacer.png

Some cruelly close Macro shots

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in and thanks fofcyhe support along the way.

Chris

• Like 70

Enjoyed watching this absolute stunner come together in your wip Chris, and am still amazed by the quality of your brushwork!

And I have to agree with Cookie about the exhaust staining, I think the daylight shots have really shown it at its best!

Really excellent model!

Keith

PS I think it must have been pretty bumpy landing on that carrier deck with those big gaps..... :whistle: :coat: :door:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Gorgeous Firefly Chris - perfect finish, amazing detail and I'm quite taken with the exhaust staining.

Thanks Cookie,  very kind indeed, the kit has some amazing cockpit details and once painted looks lovely.   The exhaust staining is Humbrol smoke weathering powder and some Mig European mud powder for the lighter part.

2 hours ago, clive_t said:

Wow, that's some stunning detail! And brush painted as well... Awesome work!

Thanks Clive, all I have done is highlight what's in the kit really, I do love the painting stage. It's very relaxing and it's great for taking your mind off things.

2 hours ago, mick b said:

Excellent result Chris, never see enough Fireflies in my opinion!

Mike

Thanks Mike, agreed fella, got a few more in the stash,  Mk.V , TT and a Mk.V that I am converting to a T5 (slowly).

2 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Lovely rendition Chris! The overall weather g and tone of paints is very well done! Cheers,

Andy

Thanks Andy, kind of you fella, I am very pleased with the way it turned out.

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Just beautiful Chris,

Can't say much more as words cannot do this justice.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair you are too kind fella.

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Fabulous job Chris..

Thanks GB, very kind and thanks for you help with the flare details, that was great and helped me move past a bit I was stuck on, appreciated. 

1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Excellent work 

Thanks RMCS, very kind.

Thanks everyone for your generous comments 

Chris

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Enjoyed watching this absolute stunner come together in your wip Chris, and am still amazed by the quality of your brushwork!

And I have to agree with Cookie about the exhaust staining, I think the daylight shots have really shown it at its best!

Really excellent model!

Keith

PS I think it must have been pretty bumpy landing on that carrier deck with those big gaps..... :whistle: :coat: :door:

Thanks Keith it was good to have you along and thanks foryour kindness.  I was trying to photograph indoors in my photo box (a largish cardboard box cut diagonally down two sides and lined with blue card) but the blue was affecting the photos so had to go outside. Crikey yes it would have been a disaster on a deck like that 😄.

I was just glad that the very large Seagulls didn't use me as Target practise whilst I was out there!!!

Thanks fella

Chris

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I was just glad that the very large Seagulls didn't use me as Target practise whilst I was out there!!!

As long as they missed the Firefly, all would be well....!! :)

K

• Haha 2

Chris,

Stunning work! I'm amazed how you manage to achieve paint fading whilst brush painting, and the detail is simply superb. Top class mate!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is one absolutely fantastic Firefly Chris. The finish is excellent particularly the wear on the paintwork and exhaust staining. A real tribute to those Pacific fleet FAA folk.

Top job!

Terry

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Murewa said:

Wow, awesome build, and brush painted too! Looks amazing! 

Thanks Murewa, very kind, brush painting is very relaxing and once thinned brushes on well.

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

As long as they missed the Firefly, all would be well....!! :)

K

😄 brilliant,  I like that. The rather large birds on our roof don't like me as it is and have had a go at me previously and again yesterday morning when emptying the waste food bin!!!

I will have toget the hard hat out soon when they chuck the baby off the roof as when I walk down the garden the dive at you and  have hit the top of the hat with thir beak, blonmin nightmare they are.

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Stunning work! I'm amazed how you manage to achieve paint fading whilst brush painting, and the detail is simply superb. Top class mate!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, very kind fella.  The fading is quite easy to achieve, I use an old quite thin brush and paint un thinned paint just inside of the line I want to take for the camouflage demarcation line, don't put too much on the brush and do small areas at a time. Then when that starts to dry off slightly which is quick  ho back and start rubbing the brush gently along this line and you will see the fading start and you will be amazed how easy it is.  Practice makes it better, it does take longer than airbrushing but is immensely satisfying.  The large areas in between can then be filled with ghe thinned paint (not too much though) , using a wider flat brush. 

I really enjoy watching it develop.

Thanks fella.

40 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

That is one absolutely fantastic Firefly Chris. The finish is excellent particularly the wear on the paintwork and exhaust staining. A real tribute to those Pacific fleet FAA folk.

Top job!

Terry

Thanks Terry really kind of you. I was worried I had overdone it but pleased with the result. Yes a small way of honouring the BPF and those brave pilots.

Thank you all for your very kind comments 

Chris

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

as when I walk down the garden the dive at you and  have hit the top of the hat with thir beak, blonmin nightmare they are.

Crikey - I thought the ones around here were bad with the way they attack the black bin bags when we put them out, but we don't have psychopaths like that - yet!

24 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The fading is quite easy to achieve, I use an old quite thin brush and paint un thinned paint just inside of the line I want to take for the camouflage demarcation line, don't put too much on the brush and do small areas at a time. Then when that starts to dry off slightly which is quick  ho back and start rubbing the brush gently along this line and you will see the fading start and you will be amazed how easy it is.

Thanks for that Chris - with the inspiring brush painting you've been showing on here, yesterday I started brush painting a 1/72 Bf-109 I've had hanging about in primer for a few months. I've been having trouble airbrushing such small models as with the arthritis in my fingers I keep dropping them when trying to manipulate them into a position to spray all the awkward areas! So thought maybe I could just leave them on the bench while attacking them with a brush and not have to move them about in the air with the ever present risk of a crash landing! So far only done the under side of the wings but really enjoyed doing so!!

Keith

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Crikey - I thought the ones around here were bad with the way they attack the black bin bags when we put them out, but we don't have psychopaths like that - yet!

Thanks for that Chris - with the inspiring brush painting you've been showing on here, yesterday I started brush painting a 1/72 Bf-109 I've had hanging about in primer for a few months. I've been having trouble airbrushing such small models as with the arthritis in my fingers I keep dropping them when trying to manipulate them into a position to spray all the awkward areas! So thought maybe I could just leave them on the bench while attacking them with a brush and not have to move them about in the air with the ever present risk of a crash landing! So far only done the under side of the wings but really enjoyed doing so!!

Keith

Keith

They  are completely mad birds, one doesn't like me and does the alarm call every time I go out in the garden and the size of them is quit worrying with wingspan of at least a meter.  They  don't seem to sleep either and make noise all flippin night and pick up and drop things for what seems like an age on our bedroom roof. I do not like them .  They are not scared of you either.  

Keith I am really pleased to hear you have tried some brush work,  I hope you continue to enjoy this  and  hope it helps .  I am sorry to hear of your arthritis and if this helps you carryon with painting then that is good news. The fading can be used in mottling too, I have a Hurricane on the bench at the mo which I am just cleaning up to start on and it's the MkI Tropical  with the Deset and the squiggle pattern on the wing leading edges and lower cowling so will be the first time I have tried this sort of scheme too!!!

Keep the good work fella and watch out for the gulls  they're meanies !!!

30 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Beautiful.

Puts the old FROG kit in the shade a bit.

Thanks Eric  yes although the Frog kit is still very nice and although of its time can still be made into a nice model, check out Gengriz online  he has done loads of fantastic FAA builds  and done a lovely build of ghe Frog Firefly.

Thanks guys 

Chris

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Oh very nice. What a brutal looking thing it was.

Shame about those thick, so-called clear parts, hiding your cockpit details.

(Not your fault of course, canopies are the one thing that defies us.)

Thanks Bertie, yes awesome looking machines. Yes it's a Shane I just couldn't get the windscreen to sit right and so gave up on the front glazing using the kit glazing for the pilot's office.  

Thanks 

Chris

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I'm thinking they might not like my .22 air rifle....!! :whistle: 🤣

K

Ha ha no. I have even tried to encourage the cat up onto the roof to help frighten them off, but she looks at them shrugs her shoulders and walks off !!! 

• Haha 2

You`ve done a superb job Chris,...... the paintwork looks just right too,..... what can I say,..... looks the bee`s knees pal!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1