HobbyBoss 1/48 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Hello all,

Here is my latest project: HobbyBoss' 1/48 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat. This is from the F8F-1B boxing and with decals by Superscale. In the end, most of the markings were masked and painted and only the stencils on the rudder are from that sheet. The wheels are by BarracudaCast. My additions were seatbelts (Eduard generic set), the whip antenna, underwing pitot, small pylons (from Hasegawa late F4U kits) and the light on the top fuselage. Paint is Mr Color 365 Gross (sic) Sea Blue.

A write up of making this kit is available here: https://jonbryon.com/hobbyboss-1-48-grumman-f8f-1-bearcat/

Thanks for looking

Jon

F8F_36.jpg

F8F_31.jpg

F8F_11.jpg

F8F_33.jpg

F8F_38.jpg

F8F_32.jpg

F8F_34.jpg

F8F_40.jpg

F8F_41.jpg

F8F_44.jpg

F8F_02.jpg

F8F_05.jpg

F8F_09.jpg

F8F_10.jpg

F8F_15.jpg

F8F_21.jpg

F8F_25.jpg

F8F_30.jpg

F8F_27.jpg

Edited by Jon Bryon
  • Like 63
  • Thanks 3

Hi Jon,

Absolutely smashing Bearcat!!!

It looks real down to the smallest details and the paint job is perfect.

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

You pulled off a great feat with that finish. Scale finishes are hard. It looks like you may have used floor polish, and then polished it. It looks much, much more convincing at scale than other sprayed finishes. And, I see there are some horizontal micro-scratches, but those look fine and would have definitely been part of the finish, full scale.

• Like 1

Beautiful build and finish and very convincing engine exhaust application. Display that one most proudly!

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments chaps :)

50 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

Question: what type paint did you use to get the Glossy Sea Blue finish? Very impressive. 

The blue is Mr Color 365. It's been mottled by adding Mr Color 137 Tire Black and 29 Hull Red to the base colour, and by using Mr Color 14 and 72 (which were GSI's other, earlier attempts at GSB), but it's pretty hard to tell unless you get the angle and the light just right.

Jon

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Outstanding fit and finish!:clap2:

It looks like you painted the major markings; is that correct?

Yep - all the stars and bars and the yellow codes are masked and painted.

Jon

Superb Jon,..... polished to perfection and the exhaust staining is just right,..... love it mate.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Wow! Jon, the finish on your build is amazing. How did you get the paint to lie down so smoothly? And how did you do the exhaust stain? I’ll head on over to the build article to see whether you answered those questions over there. Amazing build, well done.

• Like 1

What a superb model! Seeing this reminds me of watching a Bearcat tear up the sky at an air display. A magnificent model of a magnificent aircraft.

Richie

• Like 1

Lovely work as usual Jon. High points are the lustre and exhaust staining. Jumping across to read your article now. I have built Trumpeter’s big brother to to this and remember it being a fairly viceless build.

Bruce 

• Like 1

Thanks again for the comments everyone! 

9 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

I have built Trumpeter’s big brother to to this and remember it being a fairly viceless build.

The 1/32 kit must be quite impressive. Although it has a reputation for being a very small airframe, the Bearcat is still bigger than I was expecting.

Jon

On 7/22/2021 at 2:38 AM, exhausted said:

You pulled off a great feat with that finish. Scale finishes are hard. It looks like you may have used floor polish, and then polished it. It looks much, much more convincing at scale than other sprayed finishes. And, I see there are some horizontal micro-scratches, but those look fine and would have definitely been part of the finish, full scale.

This pretty much covers what I think.

Very well done.

• Like 1