The Alpha and Omega of the Martin B.57 Canberra.

Yesterday was the 68th anniversary of the first flight on the Martin B.57A Canberra.  This is my little tribute to that event. The Alpha and Omega of the Martin B.57 Canberra. EE. B.2 WD932, the first pattern aircraft for the B.57 development program. Alongside Martin B.57G Canberra, the ultimate expression on the Canberra bomber design. The B.57G was perhaps after 21 years finally what Teddy Petter had in mind for the Canberra.  Both models are based on the Airfix 1/48 Canberra kits, the B.57G less so as it has the more accurate cockpit section from the Classic Airframes B.57B. 

SXKH3s.jpg

SXKNU2.jpg

SXKKJn.jpg

John

• Like 44

B-57G a magnificent aircraft and model even in 1/72 (I have the Italeri kit).

For someone who wants to invest in seriously detailing a kit, the Canberra is definitely one!

BTW, beautiful builds!!!

Cheers,

Bill 

• Like 1

Beautiful models, both of them. But I would suggest that the “ultimate” Canberras are the WB-57Fs of the US’s National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

spacer.png

Edited by Space Ranger
Add photo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Great pair - thanks for posting! That Tropic Moon just oozes menace. 

Cheers,

Andre

Thank you, yes it's defiantly a case of 'if looks could kill' and in this case they did and very effectively!

John 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

Beautiful models, both of them. But I would suggest that the “ultimate” Canberras are the WB-57Fs of the US’s National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

spacer.png

Granted she's an impressive beast, but she's not a Canberra, least not in the legal sense, She's General Dynamics not Martin, and most defiantly not a bomber! Having said all that, I still count her as one of the family, This is my 1/48 Airfix RB.57F

SXWsvm.jpg

The only true big wing Canberra was the RB.57D, though not as mighty as the F model, she's still quite impressive 

SXWbfO.jpg

John

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

spacer.png

That's what I expected to see, too!

I love B-57s and Canberra's.

My Dad worked with the ECM gear on EB-57s at both Westover and Malmstrom Air Force Bases (he had worked with EB-66s in England before that).spacer.png

• Like 2

very nice models of a really iconic aircraft!

I assume the last operational combat missions were performed by the RAF PR.9s though over Afghanistan, no?

The NASA RB-57 were also there for "natural resources" work, no?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

very nice models of a really iconic aircraft!

I assume the last operational combat missions were performed by the RAF PR.9s though over Afghanistan, no?

The NASA RB-57 were also there for "natural resources" work, no?  

That's right the PR.9 was the last operational type in the RAF, and if you allow a point stretch then the WB.57F will be the last of the Canberra family still earning it's keep for the military.

John