Airfix Westland Scout AH1, gilding the lily

heloman1

I'm a little late coming to the party. I only found the GB by accident on Sunday morning and with lots of old Airfix stock in my stash, I knew I had something that would fit the title.

The Airifx Scout has been around since the mid 1970's,maybe even long. The instruction sheet has no release date.

Whilst serving aboard HMS Bulwark, our squadron 845 NAS had a Wasp on charge. At RMAS Sembewang, Singapore, we had a detachment of Army Air Corps with a few Scouts that share our line.

Anyway, all the parts for the kit had been detached from the sprue, this to lessen the amount of space my then meagre stash would take up in our allotted allowance for furniture etc, prior to our move to South Africa.

Anyway, I digress...

Here are the parts I found on Monday...

spacer.png

The decals are almost unusable, so I've found replacements in my stash.

Colin

• Like 6

Hi Colin. Welcome to the GB, Great to have you here. I'm pleased you eventually found us! I'm looking forward to following your build. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

My title block says, gilding the lily. The Scout is quite an old kit and some of the detail is iffy or overscale. So I took some time to remove the strengthening strakes which adorn the outside of the rear fuselage and tail-boom.

To replace it, I need .4mm rod but had nothing in my stash, so I have to resort to stretching sprue. There is some rubbish plastic being used by various kit manufacturers so it too a while until I achieved a decent pile with which to work.

Anyway after  a lot of work yesterday afternoon, here is where I a m at present. I also reworked the rear cabin bulkhead and the transmission/engine deck.

DSCN0390-2.jpg

Enjoy...

Colin

• Like 9

Scalemates has the original release date as 1966, so you have the original issue as it first appeared in a bag with a header card.

The enhancements look very nice - I am looking forward to more gilding!

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Colin. Wow! That's some very impressive stretched sprue work!! You are certainly going to improve the look of that old kit with modelling like that! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, apologies for the lack of updates, I had building contractors in the replace the steel roof over my dining room. That required new ceilng board, then repainting, which stole all  of my modelling time. Should get back to it next week.

Colin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the builders are long gone and I've got the decorating out of the way. I nearly got diverted with an Airfix Merlin I started a long time ago and which needs finishing! I made some progress on the cockpit, detail to the seats and anew instrument panel. The instruction sheet offered a black and white image to cut and paste, not really adequate. I also added the support struts for the main gearbox.

This is where I'm at at present. Need to raid the decal stash for new decals. I'm trying to depict a cab that was based at RNAS Sembewang, Singapore during the late sixties, whilst I was based there.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 8

On 8/20/2021 at 1:13 PM, tonyot said:

You are doing a fantastic job Colin,...... I especially like the extra detailing so far on the engine deck.

Thanks mate, it's a bit fiddly in this scale and being a small subject. Got the cabin glazing masked on Thursday eve. Paint tomorrow pm.

Colin

On 8/19/2021 at 3:18 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Colin. It's great to see that you have been able to make some progress on this project and looking very good it is too! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks, more progress on Monday/Tuesday.

Colin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy, applying the decals , painting the tail and main rotors. Still got work to do on the engine...

Here is where I am at present...

spacer.png

spacer.png

This the base I made yesterday, to represent a Borneo jungle landing pad. Using a packet of sosatie sticks and a piece of card for the backing. Then applied a coat of mahogany stain, cut a stencil for the H and misted on white from an aerosol can.

Colin

• Like 4

I like that, the improvised jungle landing pad works really well too. Having just finished reading the Borneo Boys, this gives me an idea of what to do with my old Scout kit, currently painted in Jordanian colours but largely dismantled.

Steve.

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I like that, the improvised jungle landing pad works really well too. Having just finished reading the Borneo Boys, this gives me an idea of what to do with my old Scout kit, currently painted in Jordanian colours but largely dismantled.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Still looking for the Borneo Boys! I wanted add the AS11 wire guided missiles but broke one, I may add them later.

Colin

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Still looking for the Borneo Boys!

Definitely worth tracking down, a super read of something that was happening not too far away & involved Kiwi forces too. As a youngster, I was much aware of it, I blame credit an ex serviceman father who maintained an interest in such things. I picked mine up for a bit of a steal but alas, that source appears to be no more. 

Steve.