Prometheus Bound - The A1 Lightning Will Rise Again!

8 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Excellent build and idea, I love it !

Wulfman

Thank you Wulfman I enjoyed the build, which was completed in a very short time and donated a lot of components to my spare box too. I really loved the story of a Lightning, of all aircraft, chained to the ground to rot but seeming to be still aiming towards the sky. And then to find that it's being restored! That has completed the tale for me in the best possible way.

8 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Superb! Your painting of rust, and the weathering of the stripped cockpit, are masterful 😎

Thank you, Vulcanicity. As the painter I, of course think that there's a lot to be desired, but that's what keeps us going, eh? Seeing my work larger than life on the screen is such a cringeworthy way to see every tiny mistake and lapse of concentration, d'oh! AND a brilliant way to self-assess, when the appreciation of others keeps me from beating myself up about it all.

Stunning piece of modelling - love it. Remember the original aircraft well - XN728, an F2a in 92 Squadron colours. When it first appeared by the A1 it was pretty much intact, siting on all three wheels (albeit supported under the ventral tank) and still proudly wearing 92's markings. Sad to witness the deterioration over the years to the point where the graffiti basically took over the airframe. I hadn't actually realised the airframe had stiffening plates on the wings and tail holding it together. Was over the moon to see the cockpit saved  - you wouldn't know it was the same nose to see it today. Superb piece of work again.  

11 minutes ago, petetasker said:

Stunning piece of modelling - love it. 

...stiffening plates on the wings and tail holding it together.

Thanks Pete. I think it had been sliced up for transit to the smelter at some point.

On the other hand, I do wonder if it was chopped in line with Strategic Arms Limitation treaties?

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thanks Pete. I think it had been sliced up for transit to the smelter at some point.

On the other hand, I do wonder if it was chopped in line with Strategic Arms Limitation treaties?

It may simply have been for ease of road transport. A lot of the ex Saudi machines from Warton suffered similar fates especially with the tails when they were delivered to museums.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, George Norman said:

Nice work there and great story. Delighted to hear some bit of it has been saved for the future. 

1 hour ago, GRK said:

Great idea for a model and perfectly executed! Loads of detail packed in, thanks for showing us all.

Thanks very much for the interest.

What a magnificent project, and so well executed. I remember seeing her on the A1 many years ago, and thankfully never saw her in her state of distress. I confess to a little lump in the throat seeing the pictures of her tortured decline, and now knowing about her deserved restoration.

I think making this build would be too much for me. 

Softy Quack.

who wiped tears from his eyes when the Vulcan howled.

5 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

I think making this build would be too much for me. 

Softy Quack.

who wiped tears from his eyes when the Vulcan howled.

That's exactly why I stopped short of the graffiti. Thanks for the kind comments.

3 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Very cool idea nicely weathered I like the rusting effect.

Thanks Deano.

• Like 1

Superb, I too remember this old girl by the A1, not exactly where though!! This is a nice tribute to a fading star, glad t9 hear she may rise again. 

There was also a Lightning displayed off the A30 somewhere Bodmin way I think?? Wonder what happened to that one.

i didn’t know about the one at Wheelgate Park (Hallam/Southwell) in Nottinghamshire although I do recall seeing a hurricane replica there. 

14 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Absolutely superb, the build, paint and weathering are excellent on this and brings to life an aircraft that has passed its useful life!

Thank you, Wellsprop. Your post triggered an insight as to why I did this project now. I've had it in mind for decades, you see but didn't get around to it until I too am faded, stained, leaking a bit, have some parts missing, have been graffiti'ed, am retired, live by the side of a busy road and arguably (by ex-wives), have passed my useful life! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Bertie Psmith
  • Haha 1

I like that a lot, idea & execution is superb Bertie, your attention to detail is impressing!

Personally i think abandoned planes & vehicles are one of the most interesting subjects in scale modeling, i had a similar approach

on a tank build, for those who are interested:

15 minutes ago, supersonic said:

I like that a lot, idea & execution is superb Bertie, your attention to detail is impressing!

Personally i think abandoned planes & vehicles are one of the most interesting subjects in scale modeling, i had a similar approach

on a tank build, for those who are interested:

Thanks for the complements.

Your tank is lovely; not only rusty and faded but also with a 1920s 'sepia feel' to it. Thanks for linking it here.