Prometheus Bound - The A1 Lightning Will Rise Again!

I remember passing that when I used to go ‘up north’. The first time I saw it it looked great, in all its aluminum glory. ( Ok, it’s probably not aluminum, but the color is).

I didn’t know it was held together with lumps of steel, but I do remember it decaying into the graffitied pile of junk shown in your picture.

Great to hear it’s being restored! 
And what a wonderful way to celebrate it! That’s a great idea, love it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, europapete said:

That is a really unique and well thought out bit of local history. I don't recall seeing it in person, as I moved to the USA in 84, but what a neat idea. Well done. Regards, Pete in RI

Thanks Pete. I enjoyed writing the little history on this, my first RFI. It's been ages since I did any creative scribing, certainly long enough for my typing to have gone to pot!

8 minutes ago, Herrick said:

I remember passing that when I used to go ‘up north’. The first time I saw it it looked great, in all its aluminum glory.

That's interesting as I 'remembered' it as natural metal too despite it being green on top as an ex-RAFG bird. Now I wonder if I ever actually saw it or did someone tell me about it.. Oh well, at least it was aluminium underneath.

6 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Poor old girl. Great to hear she’s being restored though. 

James 

I was astonished that there was enough left to restore. It's one of those 'jack up the windscreen wiper and slide a new airframe underneath' jobs. (Not that Lightnings had wipers of course.)

I'm impressed with your work. Definitely not the usual model but your build is a convincing replication of the real thing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

I'm impressed with your work. Definitely not the usual model but your build is a convincing replication of the real thing.

Thank you for that. 'Definitely not the usual' is something I aim for every time. I'm not like other girls...

I remember going past it on various trips in the eighties and nineties

First time I saw it it was still in its RAFG Dark Green upper surfaces and then over the years it disintegrated. 

Not wishing to hijack the thread can any remember a Lightning in an amusement/theme park on the A614 near the turn off for Halam and Southwell? 

24 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's not often you see a model like that! Well done, it looks great.

Thank you. I really wish I'd done the diorama now it's in the public domain. 

3 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I remember going past it on various trips in the eighties and nineties

First time I saw it it was still in its RAFG Dark Green upper surfaces and then over the years it disintegrated. 

Not wishing to hijack the thread can any remember a Lightning in an amusement/theme park on the A614 near the turn off for Halam and Southwell? 

Don't worry about hijacking - take the conversation wherever it needs to go. 

Jeremy Clarkson apparently has a Lightning in his garden. Beats those damned gnomes eh?

• Haha 1

Saw the real thing on many, many occasions. Glad to hear that it is to be restored - quite an epic venture, I think.

Great model BTW.  Bravo.

Trevor

10 hours ago, Giampiero Piva said:

Veri nice work ! Well done and unusual. Bravo !

Thank you Giampierio. I'm glad you liked it.

8 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Saw the real thing on many, many occasions. Glad to hear that it is to be restored - quite an epic venture, I think.

Great model BTW.  Bravo.

Trevor

You know, after deep thought, I don't think I ever saw it in person. I believe I've looked at it online so many times that I've confused myself. I suddenly realised that I have no idea which side of the road it was on and if I had seen it, I'd know!

Thanks for the compliment, Trevor.

BY THE WAY, FRIENDS: I've just posted another RFI down in the Figure Modeller's Basement. I don't know if anyone ever goes down there so I going to shamelessly self-advertise here. The models are rubbish but there is a joke or two...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235096792-the-lords-of-hell-age-of-sigmar/

3 minutes ago, klubman01 said:

It was on the left as you drove south, roughly midway between Newark and Grantham.

Trevor

That confirms it. In my imagination it was on the right. I was probably mixing it up with Wittering's gate guardian or something. 

I remember seeing this as I headed up the A1, probably during my early days of travelling to the IPMS Brampton St.Ives model-show. The last year I saw it, I seem to remember that most of the fuselage-panels had been half-inched (possibly my memory playing tricks with me, though - it was a long time ago).

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris.  

2 hours ago, klubman01 said:

It was on the left as you drove south, roughly midway between Newark and Grantham.

I think there must have been two Lightnings sitting in the open near the A1. The one I used to see was maybe 20 minutes drive north of the Black Cat roundabout. That's a distance away from either of these towns. 

Chris. 

11 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I think there must have been two Lightnings sitting in the open near the A1. The one I used to see was maybe 20 minutes drive north of the Black Cat roundabout. That's a distance away from either of these towns. 

Chris. 

RAF Wittering is north of the Black Cat on the left heading north.

RAF/USAF Alconbury is on the right just before that.

2 hours ago, Graham T said:

I drove past her many, many, many times.  Poor thing but great that someone is taking care of her.

Indeed. Presumably not to flying condition but museum standard is good too.

53 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Great looking replica, and brilliant to hear at least part of her is being restored.

Thanks mi'Lord

25 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

This looks marvellous,  what a great idea to model this poor old girl . Good to hear it's bring restored.  The modelling of the sport frame biting into the fuselage is astonishing. 

Great work on this

Chris

Thanks. It was really quite easy. I ground and scraped the plastic down until I could see a strong light through it and then ripped it open with a small screwdriver. Instant battle damage!

17 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I remember seeing this as I headed up the A1, probably during my early days of travelling to the IPMS Brampton St.Ives model-show. The last year I saw it, I seem to remember that most of the fuselage-panels had been half-inched (possibly my memory playing tricks with me, though - it was a long time ago).

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris.  

That's two things we can all agree on; it was a long time ago and our memories are ... ... ... what was I saying?

• Like 1