Bf109G Aufklärer wing drop tank info sought

ReccePhreak

I have the Monogram/Promodeler 1/32 Bf109G-4 /Trop kit, which I want to convert to a Bf109G-4/R3 Aufklärer (Reconnaissance) version. I want to add the underwing fuel tanks that were common on the recce 109s. I have a set of fuel tanks from a 1/32 Bf110, but the atttachment parts are not the type used on the Bf109. I would rather not spend a bunch of $$$ on the AIMS 1/32 Messerschmitt Bf-109G-4/R3 conversion if it's possible for me to do it myself. Plus, I already have aftermarket decals for the plane I plan to build. I have been unable to find detailed enough photos (or drawings) showing the attachment mechanism parts, the fuel feed pipes and their location under the wings. Can anybody help me with the needed info, so I can proceed with this project? :pray:

Larry

• Like 1

THANK YOU Giampiero!!! That is FANTASTIC info!

It looks like they removed the metal skin of the lower wing and bolted/riveted on a new metal plate. I should be able to figure out exactly where that plate goes and its dimensions.

Thanks again!

Larry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

What are the rods at the front tips of the tanks for? V-P

Inflight refueling? :rofl2:

Actually, I'm not sure, but I think it's to supply air pressure, to help with fuel feeding.

Others may know more.

Larry

• Thanks 1

Hello,

on FW190 with wing drop tanks we also can see this rods. In this case it was a optical indicator for the pilot. My understandig is that the pilot from the cockpit can not see the tanks, he can only see the rods. If he dropped the tanks and he can not see the rods anymore he can be sure that the tanks are really dropped and not again under the wings about an  technicaly malfunktion.

This problem maybe on the Bf109 to. 

I am not sure, but I think they are on some Ju87 R too.

I have that info from a book in german : Dietmar Herman, Focke-Wulf Fw190 F und G

Hope it helps

Claus

• Like 4

On 30/07/2021 at 19:10, vppelt68 said:

What are the rods at the front tips of the tanks for? V-P

They are not mentioned in the instructuons quoted by Giampiero Piva, but those instructions tell us the tanks are supplied with pressurized air ("3 Ladeluftleitung"), so I'd suspect if they were tubes, they would rather be "leaks". The explanation "optical indicator" is pretty convincing.

• Thanks 1