The Argentan Panther...

GRK

Hi all

I'm looking ahead to the next build and have picked this image of a knocked out Panther in Argentan 1944 to have a crack at. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Panther_Argentan.jpg

It looks like this is a fairly well known image but I'm finding varying accounts if its a 116th or 9th Pz div- does anyone have any idea which is more credible? I'd picked up Tamiya's 1/48 Panther D before spotting this and i don't think that this is a D but I'm not going to stress too much over that. What I would like to get right is the tank number and the scheme. I've come across a few different images of the same tank but the number isn't visible in any of them unfortunately so if anyone has any information on this tank they wouldn't mind sharing that would be great. 

Thanks

Graeme

Looks like a Ausf A but turret number no clue.

But looking at the turret it has 4 hooks that held the spare tracks so I guess the number might of been painted on the tracks.

Edited by jeff72

37 minutes ago, jeff72 said:

Looks like a Ausf A but turret number no clue.

But looking at the turret it has 4 hooks that held the spare tracks so I guess the number might of been painted on the tracks.

Ah good point, I’d spotted the hooks but hadn’t thought that the number may have been on the tracks- or that this was even done!

Edited by GRK

Is it just me or is the gun barrel bent in the front view picture? Also the track on the left side seems more loose at this angle 

Perfect thanks, maybe I can model them  in the rubble next to the tank.

in terms of the scheme I can’t pick out any bold contrast lines so I’m thinking the camo maybe quite thin wiggles- sorry I don’t know the official names given to the camo types. Any thoughts on what scheme maybe appropriate?

Edited by GRK

24 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I would say yes, probably like that. The green/brown overspray is probably very faded, and covered in rubble dust. 

great thanks for your help!

12 hours ago, Longbow said:

As Jeff says, definitely an A with a rough, possibly field applied Zimmerit coating. 

If its an Ausf A then most likely factory applied...late D's may have been field applied but I think (and I stand to be corrected) but the directives were in place for factory application by the time the Ausf A went into production.

Should be noted that even factory applied Zimmerit on Panthers was very very rough indeed...unlike Tigers which seemed to have more care and pride taken in there zim.

As for the Regiment this vehicle is from ...can't say till I have a dig through my references but the 9th Pz were active in this area I believe and that would have been my first guess....

12 hours ago, jeff72 said:

and Jeff is pretty much spot on it was normal practice on vehicles carrying spare track on the turret sides to have the numbers painted on to the links

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

9th Pz were active in this area I believe and that would have been my first guess....

thanks for that. I’ll do a bit more digging on their panthers 

• Like 1

Befehls Panther, 96 is an Ausf. A belonging to 9th Pz.

Here's a quick search of photos, and the one you want would not look much different to this one. (Except for the antenna mounts.)

https://www.google.com/search?rls=en&sxsrf=ALeKk017FRzsm3oWtQezmQBQxccFI6EMnA:1626869164359&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=9th+panzer+division+Panther+96&client=safari&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwibp4z1j_TxAhXVZc0KHb6-AiwQjJkEegQIBxAC&biw=1420&bih=682

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1